Sunday, December 2, 2012

91: Clueless

(originally posted 03/31/2012)



I never knew my real parents. I was adopted because the school buses weren't running correctly. They still don't run correctly. I was adopted for no reason. Then, that b*tch sent me to boarding school. I was kicked out when she married John. That was fine with me because I hated that place.


Right before my baby brother was born, I met Andy. I was thrilled because he was a senior and I was just a freshman. I could hardly believe it when he asked me out! Then he wanted for us to make it official, and I knew I was in love. We were crowned king and queen at prom and everything.

I remember that prom. Dawson rode in the limo with us. He didn't have a date.


When he graduates high school, he breaks up with me. I suppose now that I look back on it, he made a good point. It wasn't right for us to date according to some people. But my 'parents' didn't care.

Nobody cared about me. Just as long as I watched X-man they were fine. My 'mother' married a real loser. My 'dad' wasn't my 'dad' anymore. I missed him.

But anyway, back when Dawson and Armand were friends, Dawson let it slip that Andy was about to break up with me. Armand called me mere minutes after Andy left and asked me to prom. I was eager to try to get over Andy, so I hate to say it, but I dated him on the rebound.


Even though I had started dating him as a rebound guy, we dated for a long time. While we were dating, he and Dawson stopped being friends. In fact, they barely tolerated one another. It was sad because I was friends with Dawson. Still am.

Well, Armand and I broke up.
Dawson's girlfriend moved away, so they broke up too. For some reason, he wasn't too upset about this.


Which brings us to the present. I'm over at Dawson's house. He and Andy both still live at home. It's a pretty nice house. I can understand living with the parentals for the time being since I'm doing it myself, but I don't understand why Andy hasn't moved out.

Me: Hey, wow, Andy. Mustache. Interesting.
He smiles: I guess I thought I'd try it for a while. Something different you know? (He pauses a second.) Oh! Hey! That's great your Mom and Dad got back together! I bet you're happy with that.
Me: As happy as I could be, I guess. So, is Dawson home?
He blinks a few times: Yes. He is. Come in, I guess.


He leads me inside: Visitor.

We walk in, and Dawson, sitting on the couch, looks over at us.

Dawson jumps up from the couch: Marie!

Andy sits down in his spot and lackadaisically flips through the channels.

Dawson grabs both of my hands: How are you?
This is a little awkward. Or am I just making too much of it? Friends hold hands, don't they? ... I like the way it feels though.
I try not to make it seem like I was just lost in thought a moment ago: I'm great. So, did you hear about my mom and dad?
Dawson: I did. I'm happy for them. I guess now that John doesn't have those awful outbursts anymore they should be fine, right?
Me: It's not like those 'outbursts' weren't provoked.


Dawson: I know that. Well, "happily ever after" right?
I smile: Yeah. For their sake let's hope so.
Dawson smiles back: So.. you say you're "great".
Me: I was just answering your question. You know...
Dawson: I know?
Me: "Great." Just the quick answer.
Dawson: But I really want to know.


Me: Oh. Well, you know. ... I'm actually kind of bored if you must know.
He leans back a little and chuckles: You're bored? Why bored?
I sigh: Um, I just... don't know what I'm going to do with my life, and here I am getting ready to really live it.
He nods: Yeah, I understand that. But why should that make you bored? Why not just get yourself out there and figure it out?
I comment blankly on what he said: Get myself out there.
Dawson: Well, yeah. For instance... well, I don't know if this is a for instance, but why don't we go catch a movie tomorrow night? Together. Just us.


I giggle a little as a thrill goes through me: Dawson... are you asking me out?
Surely not.
Dawson: Actually, yes.
OMG. No way.
Dawson keeps talking: I thought I'd stop beating around the bush and just freaking ask you out. ... Before Armand does.
I feel my expression turn serious: We broke up.
Dawson acts like he doesn't really believe what I said: Sure you did.
My eyes widen: We did!

He looks at me like he wants to add something else but is debating whether or not to say it. I give him a "What!?" expression.

Dawson: I'm not going to say anything about it then. Annnd... you haven't answered me.
Me: Oh! Yeah, sure. That'll be fun!

I'm going on a date with Dawson tomorrow. Wow. He asked me out. Me. How long has he wanted to be more than friends? Or is this not a date like I'm thinking? I could be misreading this.

I run through the past little while in my head, and each moment takes on a new meaning. I had thought that him visiting me all the time was just because he was bored since Cristina moved away.

I break our quiet moment: You've been beating around the bush?
Dawson: It means I've been avoiding what I really have been wanting to say.
Me: I know what it means, silly. I just wondered... how long have you been doing that?


His hand runs down my arm: A long, long time.
What?!? Geez, how clueless am I?
Me: This is a DATE tomorrow, right? A more than friends date, right?

He laughs softly and shakes his head for a second... in that second my heart sinks.

Dawson: You know, I'm glad you came by today. I was trying to work up the courage to come over to your house to finally ask you out. Then you show up here!
Oh I am SO confused. What is he talking about? IS this a date or not a date?
Me: You didn't answer my question.


He pulls the hand he has hold of back so that I'm pulled forward to him: Marie, I have wanted to be more than just friends for quite a while now. Yes, a date date.
I can feel my heart racing: Oh.

That was the only word I could get out.

He pulls his head back, though not letting go of my hand: You really had no idea?
Alex clears his throat while I shake my head no.


Dawson: Silly Marie. How could you not know that?
That feels nice.
Me: I don't know. You just never showed me you thought of me that way. Plus, you were dating Cristina.
Dawson: Only until you became available.
Whoa. My eyes open wide. I hadn't known they were closed.

Dawson smiles down at me with a sweet smile. He starts to lean in towards me when Andy suddenly pipes up.

Andy: Hey bro, the game is on. Llamas versus Tasmanian Devils.
Dawson's head jerks towards his brother: Sweet! Wanna watch the game, Marie?
Me: Of course!


Andy gets up, and Dawson moves to get his spot back on the couch as Andy walks over to me.

Andy: I'll go get that cheese dip.
Me: Tell me where it is, I can get it.
Andy: No way! You're the guest.
Me: Hah. Guest. Seriously, where is it?


He moves to walk past me on his way into the kitchen. I step in front of him. He moves, I mirror him. We "dance" like this for a few seconds.

Andy laughs: Marie, let me by!
Me: Nope.
Andy: I really don't want to have to barrel my way past you.
I get a little angry now: Why won't you just let me go get it?
Dawson calls me over from his seat on the couch: Marie, just come sit over here, would you?
Andy looks at me triumphantly as he passes me on his way into the kitchen.
Fine, then! I was just going to help.


I'm further delayed from sitting on the couch when their mom walks in. We talk for a few minutes. Andy gets back with the cheese dip and the guys start devouring it. I'm a little glad I'm not on the couch with them. I'd be sitting in the middle and probably right in front of the food, getting crushed in the process of them chowing down.

I finally go and stand in front of Dawson: Scoot.
Dawson looks up at me: Why?
Me: Because if I try to maneuver between you, the couch, and the coffee table I might fall over.
Dawson grins: I'd catch you.

Andy coughs. My phone rings. It's Armand.

Me: Hang on a sec.
Dawson: K, I need a Coke anyway.


Dawson gets stopped by his mom on the way to the kitchen.

I answer my phone: Hey. What's up?

I get the feeling I don't need to say his name where Dawson can hear me.

Armand: Hey! Guess what!?
Me: What?
Armand: No, guess.
Me: No. Tell me.
Armand: Oh alright, I'm getting a tattoo!
My eyes widen in disbelief: You're not!
Armand: I am! Come help me decide what to get.
Me: Right now?
Armand: Why not?
Er...
Me: Um, I'll try.

I walk over to Dawson: I gotta go. See you tomorrow right?
Dawson: 7 okay with you?
Me: Mhm. See you then, then.

I smile at him and wave as I walk out the door.


I get to the tattoo parlor to find Armand standing near the door, waiting for me.

He smiles wide when he sees me: Heya, Marie.
Me: Hey.
Armand: How have you been?
Why do people always ask that?
Me: Okay I guess. So you want to get a tattoo? Whatever for?
Armand: I've been thinking about it for a while, but I can't make up my mind what to do.
Me: So show me what you're considering.


Armand: Just a sec. Before we do that, how about dinner tomorrow night?
Holy crap!
Me: Um, well...
Armand: Or we could go catch that new vampire movie?

Now what? I start to panic. We broke up! Why are you asking me out again?! I stand there and fidget. How do I tell him this?

Me: I... uh...
Armand: It's okay, Marie. I understand.
Me: You do?
Armand: Too soon after we broke up?
Me: Well, yeah. Kind of.


He sighs and looks down. What is with him? I thought since we broke up he wasn't interested anymore.

Armand: That figures. Why did we break up again?
Me: I'm not sure really. ... Oh yeah. We had a fight about my being friends with Dawson.
Armand: That was stupid of me.
Huh?


Armand: Can we try again? This time I'll try more to be okay with you being friends with him. It's just I know he... never mind.
Me: I'm ... going out with him tomorrow.
His head snaps up to look me full in the face: Tomorrow? When did this happen?
Me: A few hours ago. I was at his house when you called.
He mumbles under his breath: And yet you still came to see me when I called.
Me: Huh?
Armand: Alright. I can play this game. En guarde, Dawson.
I feel the need to correct him: Marie.
He laughs: I wasn't talking to you per se. (He smiles again.) Okay then. Are you free Saturday?
!!!!!!!!!!
My eyes widen: Uh. Yeah.


Armand: He didn't ask you anything about being exclusive did he?
Me: No.
Armand: Good.

His arms make their way around me. I'm a little surprised. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised. I'm having an impossible time reading his mood. Why me?

Armand: So?
Me: So what?
He smiles: Saturday?
I nod a little: I guess so.


Then, out of the blue, he kisses me. But... we broke up! Didn't we? He says that was stupid of him. So now he wants me back? And Dawson ... I'm dating two guys. Oh god. I'm my mother! No. This is different. Please, please tell me this is different. .... For the life of me I can't find the difference.


I jerk back. Armand smiles at me.
I am not that woman. Am I?

The tattoo artist: Closing up now, good luck, loverboy.

Armand grins wider.

No comments:

Post a Comment