Monday, December 10, 2012

99: Bad Dream

(originally posted 04/21/2012)

Jonah

(The day John tells Elena he has to go to Bridgeport...)

My brother is at work. Marie has gone out shopping. Xavier and Ben are off to school. It's just Elena and me in the house. That makes me nervous. Used to be I'd seriously flirt it up and take advantage of this opportunity.

But now, it's different. I know what it's like to lose someone, and I'd never do that to my brother. Not that I could get her from him anyway. And I don't want to! Even if she is gorgeous.

I walk into the living room and I see her at her bar working on her mixing skills. Her eyes cut up to me and I can tell immediately that she's annoyed about something. Okay, so going and talking with her is out of the question, I guess.

Oooo. What IS it about a woman in a maid's outfit that turns me on like a flashlight?


"Hi." I say and she jumps a little from being startled. I'm painfully reminded of Eva, but I press on anyway. "You're new, aren't you. What happened to Derrick? Not that I mind. I'm just .... curious." I ask about the past maid we had, a man. I much prefer maids of the fairer sex.

"Erm, I believe your," she pauses and asks the next word in question, "brother?" I nod. "fired him." She fidgets nervously, obviously uncomfortable with my state of undress.


"Shame for him, but good for you though." I say, commenting on the obvious.

She nods mutely and looks like she wants to walk past me to continue with her work, but she hesitates, and I take the opening, such as it is.

"I hope you stay with us for a long time." I say.

"That would be nice." she replies.

Contrary to the "stimulating" conversation, her eyes say so much more than her pretty little mouth does. I doubt there's a square inch on me this woman hasn't stared at. Stare away. In fact, perhaps we can arrange a closer inspection? My mind ranges over the possibilities.

Oh crap. I've got to think of something else to say!

"Are you new in town?" I ask as I work on hiding my smile.

She shakes her head slightly as if coming out of a fog before she says, "Yes."


"Well, then surely you haven't seen all the sights!" At least, in town that is. "Maybe I could show you around later this afternoon?"

Almost in a trance-like state she replies, "That could be fun."

"Great! I'm not really doing anything so maybe I could help you and you can finish early." I shrug.

She smiles. We have a great time. Then, while we clean the upstairs bathroom, for some reason, she takes offense to where my hands later stray. Oops.

----------------------------------------------------

Elena

(A few days later... and yes I know Elena is wearing the same clothes. I forgot.)


I am NOT crazy. I am NOT crazy. I am NOT scared. I am NOT scared.

Yes, Elena. Just keep telling yourself that.

Ay! I have to get this work done, regardless. I just can't concentrate for fear I'm going to see the creepazoid in the chair again.

Maybe I should've told John about what I saw before he left. Hm. No. He didn't need another worry added to his list when he obviously had so many others.

Oh, John. I know it's only been a couple of days, but I miss you!



Maybe I should sell this place. I can't shake the feeling Laurie is watching me. I'll always be reminded of him in everything here. We built it together.

Huh. I just thought of him as Laurie. He was such a good friend when he was Laurie.

But Laurie didn't really exist. He was all fake. He was insane. He was diabolical.


With an angry sigh I get up to go sit on the couch. The bar is scheduled to open in a few hours, so I decide to take that opportunity to get in a small nap.


I listen to the birds chirping in the trees in the square outside my office window, and I'm lulled into an almost-instant dream state.


"You'll never escape me, Elena."

I gasp in my dream as the horrible memory replays itself in my head.

"Let me go, Laurie. You're dead." I say stubbornly. I try to wiggle free, but just like the real Laurie, this dream Laurie has an iron grip I can't escape from.

"I thought I told you my name is Trent." he says sternly.

"I don't give a f--- WHAT you name is!" I yell back at him.

He leans in like he's going to kiss me and I scream myself awake.


I'm shaking like a leaf when I sit myself up from the couch. I frightfully look around to make sure Laurie isn't in the room.

My phone rings. I have to stand up to get it out of my pocket because my jeans are just a little too tight.

I'm reminded of the phone call from when Xavier was kidnapped.


"Hello?" I say. My voice sounds shaky.

"Hey, Elena. Where's the mustard?"

It's Jonah. He can never find anything, especially if he's the last one to have used it. I try to laugh at his ridiculousness, but my laugh turns to sobs.

"What's wrong?!" Jonah asks, concerned now. "This isn't about the mustard. What's going on?"

I feel the tears roll down my face. "Jonah, I think I'm losing my mind."

"What!?" he asks incredulously.


"I keep seeing things. And I just had a terrifying dream. I think the bar is haunted." I say and immediately think I sound ludicrous.

"So come home." he says helpfully.

"I can't. I need to get this work done, and I really need to start hanging around when the bar is open again." I say meekly.

"Fine. I'm coming."

I breathe a surprising sigh of relief; I hadn't expected the feeling to come about from Jonah's stated intention. "Thank you." I say and ignore my confusion about why I'm relieved.


That's it. I'm crazy. I bet Jonah thinks I'm crazy. Maybe he should, because I am.

Maybe I need a therapist. I don't want to talk to someone. Maybe Hugh. He has kind eyes. Oh, but he doesn't have time for me. Besides, he's not a therapist anymore anyway, but I don't want to talk about it to some stranger.


I stand up and pace around the room.


I angrily flop down on the couch. The sound of the bar's sound system kicks up, making me realize the place has opened without me... again.

I'm never going to get this work finished. I need to sell this place. I can't stay here every day.

------------------------------------------------------

Jonah


I gave up on finding the mustard and decided to just eat the sandwich without it on my way over to Elena's bar. The second I walk in, Elena looks relieved to see me, but still scared out of her wits.

"I'm sorry, Jonah. I must be going crazy, but I HAVE to get this work done." she says.

"No problem. Want me to just sit here and keep you company?" I ask.

"Yes." she breaths a sigh of relief just like she did on the phone.

Well, it feels good to be needed at least.

I settle myself down on her comfy couch. "Don't worry. I'll frighten away the boogeyman." I smile.


Elena doesn't think my little joke was so funny. She bursts into tears.

"I'm s-sorry! I d-don't know why I k-keep seeing s-stuff." she says into her hands.

I sit there in stunned silence for a few moments before my stupid brain finally kicks in. "Oh, god, Elena. I'm sorry. I didn't mean anything by it." She continues to stand there and cry. "Come sit down a sec, would you?"

She gets a tissue and sits down next to me.


What do I say?

"Don't be sorry, Elena. After everything you went through I guess this isn't too surprising." I say, trying to console her. I'm also exceedingly aware of her. Holy s---, my brother's wife is hot. And now I have to comfort her? How am I going to do this?

"Don't be sorry for going crazy? For losing my mind?" Elena asks and I'm forced to bring myself back to the moment at hand. She sits there waiting for me to respond while I fight my internal battle.

"You're not crazy." I say and try to laugh off her anxiety. She turns her head to look at me. I lean down on one of my elbows to put my face level with hers - far enough away, but level with hers. "You're just dealing with the aftermath. Or... and I'm probably going out on a limb here... maybe you're NOT dealing with it and your subconscious is forcing you to."

She looks at me like she's surprised I could come up with an idea like that. I hate it when people do that.

"I don't know what else to do TO deal with it." she says then sighs and puts her face in her hand.


Oh crap. She's crying again. ... I can't stand it! I scoot over to her and put my arm around her.

"Elena, maybe you should see somebody about this." I say. I was going to say more, but she cuts in.

"Who? I don't want to talk to some random quack about this."

I lean my head back against the back of the couch, trying very hard not to look at her. "I don't know. Somebody. Surely there's a therapist that you can trust."

"He's busy with his police work." she says cryptically.

"John?"

"No. Hugh." she answers.

"Oh. I bet he'd be glad to help."

She sighs, "Maybe." She leans back against my arm.

I try to act like her leaning back against my arm is nothing. Nothing. .... yeah right. I don't like where this is going!


I make myself stand up as fast as I think I can to make it not look like I'm fleeing and stretch, making it look like that was my intention. I mean to walk to the other side of the room, but I can't seem to completely detach myself from the couch.

Elena looks like she can't decide whether or not to stretch out or curl up in the fetal position. I have to look away before I find myself with my arm around her again. I really SHOULD go sit in one of those chairs.


When I find myself looking down at her again, I notice her face is screwed up like she's about to burst into tears again.

"Let me get you another tissue." I say and start to walk over to her desk.

"No, I'll get it." she says as she hops up and breezes by me. Then she comes to stand in front of me again. "I'm sorry, Jonah. You don't have to stay here. I'll just go hang out in the bar and work on the books via the network."

"No, Elena. It's fine. Believe me. You're scared, I get it."


Dammit, I can't stand it. More babble spills out of my mouth, "Don't worry about me. I don't mind." Um, when did I embrace her? uh.... okay now how do I get out of this?

Good God, she's even more beautiful close up. No wonder Greg and John fought so hard for her. Pity Greg saw her first. Best friend and my brother... she was off limits both ways.



I realize we've been quietly staring at each other for about half a minute now. Maybe longer.

Off limits. Off limits. Off limits. Off limits. ....


Oh, Elena my forbidden fruit! I don't think much more as my lips seize hers.


Oh, how long I've wanted to do this! It's so wrong! I shouldn't do this! But... I can't stop!

-----------------------------------------------

Elena

(back up a bit.... *rewind noise*)

I tell Jonah he can go back home, but he looks at me worriedly. A long list of short sentences spill out of his mouth. "No, Elena. It's fine. Believe me. You're scared, I get it."

I sigh and look down. I look back up at him when he moves to hug me.


He pauses in the hug to say, "Don't worry about me. I don't mind."


I nod a little and wait for him to just finish the hug. He stands there, frozen in place, staring down at me. What is he doing? Did he forget to hug me?

Wait a minute...



My thoughts get interrupted when Jonah's lips crash down onto mine.

Jonah is kissing me! What the hell?

I'm blown away from the power of his kiss.

I haven't been kissed like this since.... since.... Greg. Good god, who taught these boys how to kiss?


Jonah moans as his hands run through my hair. I can't breathe! Dam* he's good!

S---! What am I doing!?! This has to stop!



Simultaneously, we break apart. "Oh s---! Oh s---! Oh s---! Jonah!"

Jonah can't look me in the eye. He looks as embarrassed as I feel. My hands fly up to cover my mouth in a belated attempt to stop the kiss. Memories of the past few seconds fill my head.

Strumpet!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Elena you are such a strumpet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, is this all my fault? What did I do? Nothing? Something?

I kissed John's brother. Oh no.



"Ummmm...." is all Jonah can seem to get out for a few seconds.

"Oh god, Jonah! What are we going to do?" I ask, my eyes wide.

Jonah starts breathing real fast. "This didn't happen, okay? This didn't happen!"

"Okay." I say real fast. Who better than me to purposefully forget something? No problem.

"I.... I gotta go." he has his turn of talking fast before he runs out the door.


Okay.... that didn't just happen. No. No. No. No. No. NO. It didn't happen! I did NOT just kiss John's brother!


Why can't I make myself forget it? Shock. Shock not fear. It's easier when it's fear. Dammit! Go away, memory! Dam* you, Jonah! Why did you have to kiss just like Greg?!


"Go home." I hear an almost whisper and I swear I can see Greg.


"Okay." I say aloud.


THAT'S IT!! I'M CRAZY!!!! I'm getting professional help. AND I'm never coming back to this bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment