Saturday, December 8, 2012

97: Troubles

(originally posted 04/14/2012)

John


Last night I tried to convince Elena to have another baby. It's an idea I've been toying with ever since, well... ever since she divorced Greg to be honest. I couldn't help it. My mind just leaped right along from Elena and I getting back together to possibly having another child. I'm also not going to lie and say I wasn't insanely jealous when she was pregnant with Ben.

Okay, so I also feel I have something to prove to the world. Might as well admit it. I just... Oh I don't know.

I didn't think she was going to jump at the chance. It was mildly difficult to convince her when we had Xavier. I don't understand why she thinks she's a bad mother! I thought about reminding her about how she fled from the house to go rescue X-man from those thugs, but then I thought better of it.

I'm encouraged by the fact that she hasn't given me a definite "no" yet. I'll keep trying, I guess.

"Hey, Dad. You awake?" I hear Xavier's voice coming from the other side of the door after I'd gotten dressed for work.


"Yeah." I answer quietly because Elena is still sleeping. Once he walks in I tell him to be quiet and point to Elena. He nods as he walks in, wearing the same clothes he was in yesterday.

"Hey, Dad, do you know the name of Mom's birth-father?" he asks. "Because yesterday afternoon Lee and I were looking up famous artists to do our research papers on, and we came across a Marcelo Castillo."

"Oh really?" I ask, intrigued.


"I don't know if I should ask Mom. I don't want to get her excited only to find out this is nothing. It's just... Dad, he really looks like her."

"I think I remember seeing her birth certificate one time, but that was ages ago. I don't know where she's put it once she moved in here."

"Does Marcelo sound familiar?" he asks.


I smile. "I think I DO remember some 'M' name. Funny isn't it?"

"What is?"

"We may finally figure out where all that talent comes from."

"I'm nothing compared to this guy."

"Give it time." I say.

He sighs. "Well, I better go change. So.. I'll ask Mom later?"

"Yeah, definitely."

Interesting.


When I leave for work, Elena still hasn't woken up. So, I simply kiss her on the cheek before I go. I chuckle to myself as I think, Poor girl. I literally wore her out last night.

As I walk out into the sun, I can't help but think it's just a little too warm outside already for this crazy tux I have to occasionally wear. At least the police officer uniform has short sleeves.

I have one of the worst days at work.


Once work is finally over, I head over to Elena's bar to see how she's doing. She doesn't look so good. Pale.

At any rate, Elena makes it easy for me to just let work go for a little while. So what if I'm possibly going to be fired, right? It's not like we need the money. In fact, Elena should sell this place and we could just live our lives any way we please.


And if I was at home all the time then maybe I could have an easier shot at convincing Elena to have another baby.

But... there's still this matter about Bell. hm.


The next day work is even worse.

I knew I would get in trouble for all I did in the Trent White case that I shouldn't have done, but I am nevertheless shocked about what just happened. I'm on suspension. Me! Something is going on. I can't help but wonder if Bell has anything to do with it.

So strange how she said, "How did you figure out that Trent White was The Boss?" as if she already knew. Now, she's happily saying anything she can to the higher-ups about me, placing me in a not-too-flattering light.


When I get home, I see Elena practicing her skills at our bar.

How on earth am I going to tell her this?

She looks over at me, "What's wrong, John? Another bad day?"

"The only way it could've been worse was if I was fired." I say as I rub my face with the palm of my hand before returning to my dejected pose.


She stops what she's doing to wait for me continue.

I sigh, "I've been suspended until further notice."

"It's all my fault." she says quickly and quietly.

I jerk my head in her direction. "What are you talking about?"

She puts down her stuff and walks around the bar to me.


"If I hadn't have been so stupid and gotten myself kidnapped this wouldn't be happening to you."

"Elena, don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not."

"I'm not going to argue about this." I say. Her beautiful eyes contradict me.

"John..."

"No." I interrupt before she can get started again. She almost angrily snaps her jaw closed. I sigh. She's not going to like this. "Elena, I'm... going to need to go out of town for a few days."

"But, I thought you were suspended?" she queries.

Yep. She's upset.


"Yes. But I'm doing this on my own. I'm suspicious about something." I say.

I hear the maid yelling at Jonah upstairs. What did he do this time?

"How long is a few days?" Elena asks after we both stop looking up at the ceiling.

"I hope not too long."

"You're dam* right."


What am I doing? I'm crazy to leave this woman. Even for a few days. Who cares about my job? Yes, I love it, but is it really worth it?

Still... I would never forgive myself if my hunch proves correct and someone gets hurt because I did nothing.

So I'll go for a hopefully only a few days...



...and then I'll hurry right back.


I fly to Bridgeport. I check myself into one of the nicer hotels.

After visiting a local drugstore, I spend a little time in the bathroom...


I hardly recognize myself.

I hate wearing my contacts, but it helps sometimes. Also, I took some tips from Xavier on a new hairstyle. I suppose I don't look that bad as a blond. It's not believable as real, but this IS Bridgeport after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment