Sunday, September 2, 2012

24: Dancing


(originally posted 10/06/2011)

Still Saturday

That bun was starting to give me a headache, so I went upstairs to change clothes. I made a salad and Marie worked out for a bit.


Um, Greg has obviously lived alone for a while because his table manners really suck. At the restaurant, I thought it was just because he wanted to get the food down as fast as possible given the person that walked up, but apparently, he eats like that all the time.


Xavier continues to play horsie, and I ask Marie to give him a bottle.


I start to clean up the dishes and when I turn around I see Marie with this expression. Half a second after I turn around her brows pop up and she smiles.

Marie: Sorry, was just thinking about Andy. I still can't figure out what his deal is.
Me: I'm sure when he's ready to tell you, you'll find out. Would you put Xavier down for his nap?
Marie: K.


As I go upstairs to put something away, I hear Marie talking to Xavier.

Marie: Hey, kiddo. Don't you worry about a thing. As long as you have your sissy, nobody's going to hurt you.


Xavier: Daddy bye-bye?

Oh ouch.


Marie: Daddy's not bye-bye. He just doesn't live with us anymore. We see Daddy soon.
Xavier: Ah-boo, Sissy.
Marie: Ah-boo too, X man.

The hurt in Marie's voice. I hadn't realized. She's still a little girl in a growing up body. I hear Marie put Xavier in his crib, and I scoot off to my bedroom so she won't know I was listening.


I'm outside taking out the trash.

Greg: Hey, I asked Marie if she wouldn't mind babysitting tonight... when she said you had already asked her.
Me: Yes, I forgot to tell you. Pascal is throwing another party. Mind putting on some fancy duds?
Greg: Ah, okay. Sure, no sweat.
Me: Why? What were you wanting to do?
Greg: Just go to the dance club. I thought you might want to unwind.
Me: That sounds wonderful actually, but I promised Pascal I'd go...so we'll just pop over to his place first.
Greg: I don't want to go to the club in my tux.
Me: He lives right next door, we can come back and change.
Greg: Oh, right. Good.

(at the party now)
Oh great. (sarcasm) What was Pascal thinking? John is here. Right away Greg stiffens up.
Greg: Elena, let's leave. We got dressed up for nothing.
Me: I promised Pascal that I'd be here. He was really worried I wouldn't show because of today.
Greg: Then why did he invite HIM?
Me: No idea, but he's not going to scare me out of being here.

Greg tries to loosen his collar a bit while not untying his bow tie unsuccessfully. John looks up and sees us. He's walking over here. Oh, great...

John: Dance with a sec, Elena.
Greg: What?
Me: It's okay, Greg. Just a sec.

(He really does ask her right as she gets there, to my surprise.)

Me: John.... about today....
John: Don't want to talk about today. Don't want to talk at all. Just want to dance, and since you're the only dancer here that's as good as I am, we still can tear up the dance floor, right? Show these wannabees (he looks at Greg) how it's done.

So... we dance. And that's all. Dance... here.... in our old house. It all still looks the same even. I don't really like the way John is looking at me. Like a tiger about to strike. Or a viper maybe. At least he talked to me. I have this strange feeling in my very veins that feels like a kind of burning. Not pleasant. At one point, I try to start apologizing again when he tells me to shut up. That's about the time Greg comes over.

Greg: I think you've had her long enough, John.

He gives him a pointed look.

John lifts his eyebrow for a sec as he says: Fine, then.
Then he shrugs and turns me to Greg.

Well, Greg isn't as good a dancer, I'll tell you that. Plus, every chance he gets he sneers at John. Ugh! Guys. I just want to shake Greg and point out that yes, I chose him. Do we really need a pissing match here? John leaves.

Greg: Babe, let's go to the club now. I think John ruined this party.
I purse my lips: All right then. 
So we go dancing.


He haven't been there but a few minutes when I glance over and see Ivana. She looks at me witheringly and rolls her eyes. What is up with her? I guess she's ticked about something at work. I shake it off.


Me: Don't look now, but guess what the cat dragged in.


Greg looks over the wrong shoulder. John walks around us.

John loudly mutters: Can't go anywhere in this town.
Greg says a little louder: For once I agree with you.


Me: We could leave and just go back home.
Greg: What? And let him scare us off? It's a big club. Let's just get a drink.


Me: I need to go tell him something. Don't worry.
Greg smiles: I'm not worried. I'll be right back.

I walk over to the next room.


Me: John...
John: I hope you're not over here to try to spout one of your lame apologies. I should've just stayed at home working out, but I thought I'd do better with people around me. Clearly, I was wrong.
Me: I'm not over here for one of my 'lame apologies.' I wanted to talk about the kids...
John: The kids.

John: That you stole from me?!! How could you let that happen! You know they're better off with me!
Me: John, would you calm down! This is why the judge gave them to me most of the time.

He really looks like he wants to pounce.

Me: I know what the judge did wasn't great, but don't think that means you're getting them all the time either. I just thought that, maybe, once you've proven to the judge that you're better IN CONTROL of yourself, we could do one month with me, one with you...or half a month? or a week?....

I start inching away from him.

Thank goodness, he's spent on the whole anger thing.

John: Sorry. Not sorry for what I said but how I said it.
Me: I don't blame you. This isn't easy. It's all my fault.

Me: I'm sorry, John. I never meant for this to happen. It just sort of snowballed out of control.
John: Elena...I told you...I don't want to hear it.

Me: Fine (I say sarcastically). No more of my 'excuses'.
John blinks really slowly in an angry fashion: Good.

I hate how he still has the power to hurt me.

John: All right. I'll go to my therapy; I'll get over what you did to me; I'll get my children back.
Me: It's not right for you to be away from them so much. Xavier was asking about you.
His face falls.. then fixes with a scowl: He's MY son.
Me: You think I don't know that? Don't forget that he's also MY son. Not to mention Marie.
John: I'm not giving her up either. She's as much my daughter as she is yours.

I can see Greg coming with the drinks. Ivana keeps trying to wave him over to talk, I guess. He gives her a 'one minute' finger.

Greg hands me my drink: I'll be right back. (he looks at John) I won't be far.

I turn around and think about what John was saying. He wants to take Marie from me too. Well, Marie did say several times she wants to be where Xavier is. How can I possibly let him have partial custody -- when I worry he wants more than that. I wish we could've talked about this without having to go to court. He's just being unreasonable. He can't take the kids from me any more than I can take them from him. This sucks.

I hear John behind me make a strange noise, and he kind of trips. That's odd. Aren't I the one always falling all over myself? John leaves the room as Greg walks in. I'm amazed they shared the same doorway.

Greg: Are you okay?
Me: He wants to totally take both the kids from me, Greg.
Greg: Well, that's to be expected isn't it?



Greg: We're not going to let him, though. (he pauses) Do you want to leave?
Me: No, he doesn't own the place.


I glance into the dance floor room and see Ivana walking away from John. She looks strangely pleased with herself, and John is crying, actually crying in public. Greg sees where I'm looking.


Have I ever mentioned how VERY GOOD he is at distracting me?


Greg: Don't worry about Ivana. She just hates you. She tried to tell me all this crap that she'd come up with about you, how you've slept with every man in town.
Me: WHAT?!
Greg: Don't worry; she's full of it.

I start to storm into the dance room.


Greg: Whoa there! Don't add fuel to the fire! Ignore her.
Me: But she's spreading lies about me!
Greg: Most people know she's lying. I do kinda feel sorry for John, though, I think he believed her.
Me: Oh no...

Again, I want to go into the dance room.

Greg pulls me back again: Hey! I told you to forget about her. I shouldn't have told you. It's a load of bull.
Me: But.. I can't have John thinking that.
Greg: Maybe he doesn't. I think Ivana just knew which wound to pour the salt into. Didn't they used to date?
Me: Yes... and-
Greg: And she wants to get back at you. It's so obvious it's pathetic. Forget it. It's ancient history right? I love you; let me take care of Ivana. Oh...come here. 



----
It's really late. We're as quiet as possible getting back in the house. It makes me feel a little like a teenager trying to sneak back in the house before my parents could catch me.


Me: Thank you for not believe that good for nothing little...
Greg: Of course I didn't. (he laughs) I know for a fact that isn't true.

I decide not to ask him how.

He laughs: It's actually going to be kind of fun getting back at her for you. For once, I get to fight with someone without getting on your nerves about it.


We're quiet for a minute.

Greg: God, you're beautiful.
Me: Greg... you telling me makes me uncomfortable.
Greg: It shouldn't. You should hear it.
Me: You're going to make me conceited.

Greg looks down... then back up. I'm about to turn into a butterfly they've taken over so much.

Greg: You're not conceited. If you were, you wouldn't get embarrassed. Hah, it's kind of funny seeing you squirm. Just makes you more gorgeous.
Me: Greg.... stop it.
Greg: Not going to. Get used to it. I plan on telling you that for the rest of my life.


Sunday


The sun is just starting to come up. Greg just leans over me looking at me. I'm getting a little aggravated.

Greg: You act like you want me to kiss you.

I stare at him with a cross between a glare and a smile.

Greg: Oh? You do... well

I get impatient and kiss him. Hmm... I get the feeling he was doing all that on purpose. Oh well.

...


Me: Good morning.
Greg: Good afternoon.

I start.

Greg: Don't worry, I checked in with Marie. She's happily watching Xavier.

I sigh and lay back down.

Me: I love you.
Greg: Love you more. 

2 comments:

  1. I found it :)

    John explodes at everything Elena does.
    Now I am wondering if Ivana didn't start the destruction of Elena's marriage. >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John is royally pissed off.
      Ivana didn't start it, but she sure is enjoying it. She and Betty can't stand Elena. It's like they've formed this "Let's Hate Elena" club. (and in the book I may never finish (Erin) Ivanna is Elena's boss!)

      Delete