Thursday, November 8, 2012

68: Dirty Work


(originally posted 03/14/2012)

After Laurie left Elena's office...

After slamming her door, I go for a walk. I have no preference where. Surprisingly, I end up at the graveyard.


I had never visited his grave before. I worried that it would be too obvious. However, the graveyard is deserted.

She doesn't love me. She says I'm her best friend. I think about what Brook said at the party.

So that's why. He couldn't take it anymore and forced himself on her. I bet he had fallen in love with her too. He was a doctor. He had access to drugs. Well... so do I. Probably just as strong or stronger. But he was sloppy. I guess he didn't learn all I did from Mom and Dad.

Of course we fell in love with her. There she was... alone in the world. Orphaned twice... needing someone to take care of her. Not to mention beautiful. That woman hurt my brother and now has hurt me. Someone to take care of her... yeah. I'll "take care" of her.

That John has to be taken out of the picture. Hah. He's undercover pretending to work for me, and he doesn't know it's me. I know all about him, though. Stupid, John, really stupid. However, I could kill the idiot that let slip something about my business centering around a bar. Partnering with Elena was genius if I do say so myself.

Oh big brother, what do I do now?
In a rare moment of weakness, I put my head in my hands and cry.


Suddenly I hear a voice next to me: Uh, Laurie? You okay man?

Oh, god. It's that idiot Greg. Not good for you to be seeing me like this.

Greg: Why are you crying over that scumbag's grave?

Oh no he didn't...


Me: He was no scumbag, idiot! And where the hell did you come from?
Greg: Whoa, man. Calm down! I only said that because of what he did to Elena.
Me: Who's to say that Elena didn't ask for it?!
Greg looks at me, confused for a moment: How do you know what happened? Elena NEVER talks about it.
Uh oh.


Me: Greg, if you know what's good for you, you'll walk away right now.
Greg: Why? I want to know how you know all this. Why would Elena talk to YOU about it?
Me: Elena DIDN'T talk to me about it.
Greg: Surely John didn't. That as*hole doesn't like you either.
Me: Hah! No, John didn't tell me. If you must know, I found out from some fellow inmates of his... before they were dealt with, that is.
Greg blinks a little and his face gets paler: But... why would you even care?


Throwing caution to the wind, I let it out: Tate was my brother!
Greg: You don't look a thing like him.
Me: Step-brother you imbecile!
Greg: Imbecile? You're the one crying over a dead rap*st. Won't John be interested in hearing that you are his step-brother and offed the men that killed him in prison.
Me: I'm not afraid of John.
Greg lets out a short laugh: I don't like the guy either, but you should be.

And you will never get the chance to tell him. I mentally check the back of my pants and feel that the gun is there. However, I wonder how this man will react to a few things first.

Me: Were you aware that he and Elena are engaged?


I speak with false sympathy: Aw, I guess you didn't since it happened just last night.

I enjoy the look of pain in Greg's eyes. He looks at the ground. I feel the pleasure of causing him misery wash over me, giving me confidence and strength.

Greg: No, I didn't. (He sighs.) I guess if that's what she wants, then I hope she's happy.


Me: I don't hope she's happy. Why should she be happy? Why should HE be happy? The LAST thing I want is for them to get back together! I thought you'd at least be useful enough to keep that from happening!
Greg: Why do you even care?
I get right up in his face and speak in low tones: Because I'm in love with the b*tch too, dammit. And she's going to pay for what she and John did to my brother.
Greg gets red in the face: You're not going to touch her!


He jumps me. I haven't had to fist fight someone in a long time. That's what I have thugs for. Greg has been working out. The best I can do is constantly try to block him.


I almost get him off of me, but before I can reach around to get my pistol, he punches me in the gut so hard it knocks the wind out of me.


Ow. Son of a ...

Greg: You're not going to touch her. I know John will agree with me on this one thing at least.

I reach behind me as I stand up in front of him.


(I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh at myself for that stupid looking gun! I thought I'd give it a try. Just use your imagination okay? )

Greg looks down at the gun and then back up at me: You gonna shoot me, Laurie?
How dare you look at me mockingly like that.
Me: Name's Trent, dumba*s.

The gun fires, and Greg falls to the ground.


(I was thinking about putting in some blood on the ground, but then I thought that might be a bit much. Hm, and since I didn't do such a great job on the "gun" I think I'll just leave it be and have you imagine the mess.)

Sh*t.

Now what am I going to do?


I look around. There's no one anywhere.


Oh crap. I'm such an idiot! In a public setting in broad daylight?!? Elena has me acting careless. I look around to see what I can do to remove any evidence of my ever being here. I decide to just leave his body there for someone to find since trying to dispose of it would take more time than I had.




Idiot! Idiot! Idiot! Trent you are such a fool! Falling in love with Elena for starters. Of course she wouldn't love you back! You're unlovable! Now committing murder like this... AFTER spilling everything to him thereby giving you NO CHOICE but to kill him. Stop being so F*CKING sloppy!

I rub out any footprints I find and replace my gun back in its little home.

Best to go through the woods and make my way back to the bar like none of this happened.

2 comments:

  1. I knew it, but I did have to go back to the earlier part of the story to remember who his brother was. All I can say is that Trent's aka Laurie's brother sure made a mess of things for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool that you guessed right. Yeah, Tate screwed up many lives, including his own, when he let his lust get the better of him.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete