Thursday, November 15, 2012

75: Sick Joke


(originally posted 03/20/2012)

John


Marian finally comes in to work. She's actually a little early, but it felt like forever because I'm SO TIRED.

Marian: Boss man, you alright?
Me: Here's what I got. Just work your magic.

She looks at me, concerned. I blink real hard, trying to stay awake. Holy crap, I miss Elena. She'd be real mad at me right now for my lack of sleep. She'd also be real mad because I would've asked her to stay at home again.

Marian: Will do, boss. Uh, may I say something?
Me: That depends.
She stares at me.
Me: Fine, go ahead.
Marian: You need sleep.
I sigh exasperatedly: I know! I'll... be on my couch.

I can't go home.


The lower level is noisy as I walk my way to my office. Even with the noise, I have no trouble falling asleep.

My subconscious plays a sick joke on me, and I dream of Elena.


Me: Elena? I found you!

I try to move my arms to embrace her, but they're frozen at my sides.

Elena: No, John. You're dreaming.
Me: What!? Well, if I'm dreaming, tell me where you are!
Elena: Look around you. We're at the bar.
Me: We've searched all over that bar! It just doesn't make any sense!
Elena looks at me with a sad expression.

The dream ends.


I hear the tapping of keys on a keyboard.

I moan: Elena...
Then I come fully awake. My eyes open slightly and I see Hugh. He's using my computer.

Me: Hugh, what are you doing here in the middle of the day?
Hugh: I had an idea and couldn't sleep.

I often let him use my computer when I'm not on it.

Hugh: Turns out I was wrong.

He sighs, gets up, and walks around my desk.


I look at the clock on the wall. Wow, it's after noon. No wonder I'm hungry. I work on sitting up.

Me: Hugh, you need to go home and sleep.
Hugh chuckles: Look who's talking.


I make several loud and slightly obnoxious stretching noises: That couch is NOT comfortable.
Hugh: Yet you sleep on it all the time lately.


Me: At least I'm sleeping.
Hugh: I couldn't. Something isn't right around here, other than your fiancée going missing. I can't put my finger on it.


Hugh continues after he sits down: It's driving me crazy.
Me: I know crazy.


I describe to him my dream.

Me: I need to send someone over to the bar to just have a look around the outside.
Hugh: I'll go.
Me: No, you go see what's going on with Derek. He was stomping around like a constipated gorilla this morning. (I clear my throat.) I need to hear from Chaz to see what he's come up with.
Hugh: Alright, I'll send in Chaz.
Me: Thanks.

I stretch again.. this time sans the obnoxious noises, and shake my head to try and clear it. I walk over and flop myself down into my desk chair.


Chaz: You wanted to see me, chief?
Me: Yeah. Found anything interesting yet?
I forgot to tell Rodney I wanted that done. Oh well, I wonder what Chaz found. If anything. ... If he happened to find out more than me. Of course, I'm not running on all cylinders here.


Chaz has a seat on the couch after I point to it: At first I couldn't find anything on him but that he was raised by his grandmother. But he only started living with her when he was about twelve. Before that, we have nothing.
Me: I see.


Chaz: But I didn't stop there. I looked up stuff on his grandmother. She died recently. Real recently. It hasn't even been a year. She left everything to that Janie, Tate's daughter, for when she turns eighteen.

Interesting. Brook hasn't mentioned anything of the sort. I guess why would she mention it. Tate stirs up bitter memories for us.


Chaz continues: So I saw that the grandmother was his mother's mother. I found... quite ALOT on his mother.
My eyebrows raise: Really?
Chaz: His father was murdered by his mother and her boyfriend that later became his step-dad. (My eyes widen.) Then his step-dad had her killed.
Me: Sounds like a real loving family.
Chaz: Huh. Yeah. So, then he's living with his step-dad and that man gets married again. They have a son.
Me: You found all this just this morning?
Chaz nods: It got real easy once I started up on his mom. The whole family are criminals.
Me: Hm. I guess I can understand why the grandmother would want to get him away from that. I feel sorry for the son she had no relation to. Hm. So, Tate had a step-brother for a while. Anything on him?
Chaz: Not a dam* thing... other than his name is Trent White. It's bizarre. Nothing else.
I sigh.


Tate had a step-brother. Whole family with criminal records. Why do we have nothing on the brother?

I wonder how the brother reacted to having his sibling taken from him. Tate would've seemed like a real brother to a young boy since he'd been there the whole time.



Me: Good work. Interesting.
Chaz sighs happily.

Poor guy. I remember when his wife cheated on him. Hm, about the same time Elena and I broke up after that awful incident with Tate. 'Course they got back together. Her lover didn't want her anymore after she got sick with cancer. I sigh as I remember the horrible emotional journey he went through with her. He took her back. At the time I thought he was stupid, but now I understand. He loved her. It's been two years now that she's been dead, and he still wears his ring... Ever since he's been married to this job. I've got to give him more to do.

Me: I have a little task for you.
Chaz: Sure! What's up?
Me: I need you to just conduct a little search outside the bar again. Just casual. Check everywhere.
Chaz: You know we've searched.
Me: I know, I know. I just need this.
Chaz: Alright.
Me: Good, and take Justin with you.


Chaz: That flunkie? He'll be no help.
My voice gets stern now: I remember when Sergeant Davis called you the same thing.
Chaz: Yeah, and I was.
I chuckle a little: Just take him. An extra set of eyes won't hurt.
Chaz: Huh.

He gets up and walks out of my office. Justin is standing right there. Chaz's face gets red in embarrassment when he sees him.

Justin pops his head in the door: Could I talk to you a moment, chief?
Me: I'm actually on my way home for a minute, talk to me when you get back from the search with Sergeant Cooper.
He sighs: Alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment