Saturday, November 17, 2012

77: Lil' Bit O' Drama



(originally posted 03/21/2012)

(Sorry for these pics being so dark. It was, well, night, and I was too lazy to put in streetlights that would probably just disappear with my next error code 12. I've tried to lighten them some so if they look a little grainy to you, that's why.)

John

By the time Hugh and I had arrived at the scene, Justin was white as a sheet. Chaz was bending over him and trying to stop the bleeding. He told us what Justin had said before he passed out and that hidden panels seemed to be a popular thing down here. Hugh helped carry Justin out and get him to the hospital. I went and felt along all over the wall, but I never found anything. I knew there was something on the other side because I could hear a sort of mechanical noise.

She was right there. Right under my nose. In that awful cell there.

I remember the rage that went through me as I wanted to kill Lawrence... or should I say Trent. Dammit! If only I could've found the right stone to hit or thing to press. I'd stayed at it for hours before Hugh finally came to get me.


I meet with Chaz outside the hospital.

Chaz: Chief, I'm so sorry! She was right there! And now that kid is shot and it's all my fault!
Me: Whoa, whoa! How is it all your fault?
Chaz: I left him! I left him when I knew that we might be in danger. I just never suspected we were that close to our goal! And then... when I saw him lying on the floor dying, I froze.


Chaz continues after a pause: When Justin is well, I'm retiring. I don't need to put any more lives at risk with my screw ups.
Me: Chaz! You said yourself you didn't think you were that close. You did the right thing and called us.
Chaz: I should've made sure to get him with me as I did.

Crap! What do I tell this man!


Thankfully, Hugh quickly reads my frozen state and steps up to talk to Chaz.

Hugh: It's not your fault he got shot. From what you've said, Justin did an admirable job.
Chaz: If I'd have been with him, that beast wouldn't have shot him. Twice.
Hugh: You. Didn't. Know. You got there as quickly as you could.
Chaz: Yes, and I froze up.
Me: Do you remember seeing which stone Lawrence hit to open the wall?
Chaz looks down: I wasn't even there for that part. I hit the bottom of the stairs just as the wall sealed itself.

A sudden idea hits me, and I call Scott and Derek out to go to the abandoned shack to investigate. I know it's a long shot, but wherever they went, it's possible the two are connected.

As I'm doing that, it looks like Hugh has gotten Chaz to calm down and stop blaming himself.


However, it's not long before Chaz looks like he wants to start up again: But...
Hugh jumps to interrupt him: No. Cool it, Cooper. Justin is going to be fine, right?
Chaz: No thanks to me.
Hugh: We don't need that right now!
Chaz jumps a little.
Hugh calms his voice: We need you to keep your head on your shoulders. The chief is going to need to leave, and we need you to run things for a while.


I know this isn't the first time I've left Sergeant Cooper in charge, but now I question whether or not he's up to it.

Chaz: Yes, sir.
Hugh: You can do this.
Chaz shrugs: I have to.
Hugh: And you can.


Chaz's expression perks up a tiny bit: I do remember one thing, though. I could hear her ask him where they were going, and he said, "Why, we're going home of course."
Home?
Chaz continues: And if he is indeed this Trent guy, home is Bridgeport.
Me: Good work! Now at least I know where I'm going. Let's go see Justin real quick, then I'm out of here.
Hugh: And I'm coming with you, sir.
I turn and look at him. Why does he insist upon coming?


So that's why he said "we" need you to run things to Chaz. I'll have to ask him later why he feels he needs to come.

We go inside and visit Justin. He's out cold, but with the blood transfusions, his color has returned at least. The docs say he's lucky the bullet missed his kidney. In fact, other than the blood loss, his injuries are minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment