Monday, November 12, 2012

71: John at Work


(originally posted 03/17/2012)

Okay back to that same morning...this time from John's perspective.


I can't sleep.

I merely pretended to sleep after Elena and I went to bed last night. It's been days. The trail is cold. I hope Marian in forensics has found something with all that crap they collected. How can I live with myself if I don't find the person who killed Greg?


Elena moans in her sleep.

Ugh! I hated the guy! Now I'm feeling guilty about that. Dammit, Greg! You even have to bother me in death don't you?

Crap, that was awful, John.

The thing is... I'm pretty sure I know who did it! But I can't find a dam* thing! This is embarrassing. Can't even solve a crime that happened in a public place in the middle of the day!



I'm scared to death for Elena. I don't know why Lawrence did it, but I know he did it. My gut is rarely wrong. But WHY? I simply CANNOT let Elena be near him until I'm sure one way or the other. If only I could just TELL her! Lawrence. is. "The Boss". that I have been trying to catch for months now. I have to catch him at something though. So far he's clean as a whistle.

It just makes sense. Bars. And then there was that comment Elena made about Lawrence thinking I got fired from the SIA. That was NOT common knowledge and the only way he could have heard was through someone that worked for The Boss. Why he told Elena he thought that, I don't know. One more reason for her to be in danger and he doesn't even know she told me.

The Boss. Geez, what a stupid name to go by.

But why kill Greg? Did he know something? Ugh! There's a piece missing here that I just can't put my finger on!



She's not going to be happy I'm asking her to stay put yet another day. She'll go stir crazy and do something stupid. Oh please don't, Elena.

She wakes up and smiles the most beautiful smile in the whole world at me: Good morning.
I smile back at her: Good morning yourself, beautiful.
She groans and stretches like a cat: I don't feel so beautiful right now. Sleep in my eyes, hair a mess, and I'm sure I didn't wash off all my mascara.... Crazy waterproof stuff.

I just smile in response to what she said. I can't openly disagree with her, even though I do, because she'd just argue with me. I'd better get ready for work.

I go to the restroom to brush my teeth and "go".


As I come out of the restroom, I see Elena stretching in front of the window. The hem of her shirt rises up above the top of her underwear and the light shining through the window shines through her shirt so that I can see her perfect silhouette.

I can't stand it! I think as I cross the room as quickly as I can and let my lips tell her the passionate emotions running through me right now. She squirms slightly and then pulls back.

Elena: John, you know I hate it when you kiss me before I've had a chance to brush my teeth.
Yes, and you're silly about that.
Me: I don't care. You don't have morning breath.
Her eyes narrow slightly like she doesn't believe me: Right.
I shrug: Even if you did, I still wouldn't care.

Her beautiful eyes stare up at me, so I have to kiss her again.

I hate this slightly guilty feeling I have around her now. I hate that she loved Greg. I hate that his dying has hurt her so badly. I want her to be able to mourn Greg so that we can finally move on and I can make her my wife once more.


Ugh, I need to get to work.

I sigh: I have to go to work again. That girl in forensics maybe found something.
I have to tell her SOMEthing to let her know we're not standing around twiddling our thumbs.
Her eyes widen: Really?
Me: Yeah, so I need to go.

Here goes. She's not going to want to hear this.

I sigh: Promise me...
Elena interrupts me before I can even get it out: That I'll stay under house arrest and not let anyone in.

Ow. Dammit, Elena, if you only knew the possible danger you're in.

Me: At least until I can rule out a possibility. Please do this for me, love. I'm just worried.
She sighs: But I need to go balance the books. I'm sure Laurie has made a mess of them.
Why does she have to call that d*ck by a nickname? And NO you're not going over there.
She's still talking: ...have him bring them over. At least bring my computer to me.
Absolutely not.
Me: No. That would fall under "no visitors". (She sighs.) I could bring your computer to you this evening.
And use that excuse to check up on our dear "Laurie".
Elena: Alright, the princess will stay locked in the tower.
That makes me a little mad: Elena...
She smiles at my stern expression: Alright alright, get to work.
Me: I love you.
Elena: Love you too.


(Okay... Sorry for all the new characters all at once. You may even recognize a few of them. I stink at making sims imho so I use the random button a ton as well as use what EA gave me. I have also downloaded a few as well.)



When I'm not elsewhere investigating, I hang out at the local police station. Not even all the officers know that I'm with the SIA. To them, I'm simply the chief.

I go upstairs to see what Marian has come up with.


Marian: Hey, fearless leader. I'll be with you in just. a. sec.

She says the last bit with her finger hitting the enter button each time to cycle through different screens. She gets the best computer we have and the rest of us just get to drool over it. Ah well, she's the one that really needs it I suppose.

The kid's a genius. If only I could get her to concentrate all that genius into her work and not flirting with all the single officers she comes across.


Me: So what did you come up with?
Marian: You're not going to be too surprised. It all matches with what we already have for this Boss guy. Yet, I can't link it to anyone in particular. If only I could get just ONE blasted fingerprint...
One corner of my mouth pulls up before I say: Yeah, but we could fill the whole day with "if onlys".


I get an idea and run it by Marian. I can't believe I haven't thought of this earlier. If my hunch is correct, then this could be the proof I need that the evidence collected links to him. Marian is all for it.

There's a slight explosion near us...

Rodney has let something explode. We all start coughing and trying to wave the smoke away as Marian goes over and opens a window.

Rodney: Uh, that didn't quite work like I wanted it to.
Marian's voice drips with sarcasm: Ya think?

Rodney coughs as he heads off to the showers. Marian groans.

I hear Marian as I walk out of the lab: You're not leaving me to clean this mess up! I'm not your mother, Rodney!


Next to the lab is the break room. (I don't know what they were thinking putting food that close to all that... at least the fridge is on the far wall.) I hear a conversation going on.

Scott leans his arm on the table: I. am. so. tired. He had me going to that bar last night to watch.
Chaz brings his hand up to his chin: Who's watching the house today?
Derek walks over with a cup of coffee: Coffee's done.
Scott sighs: Justin is.

Chaz sighs and goes to get a cup of coffee. Scott does likewise. I decide to walk in.


The three of them greet me as the smell of the fresh coffee draws me in.

Derek suddenly turns and looks at Chaz: What have you got against Justin?
Chaz quietly stares into his coffee.
Derek: I don't get you.
Chaz: Justin is easily distracted.


Scott pipes up: It was his turn.
Derek stares off into the distance angrily.


I get my cup and the three of them get quiet. Rodney comes in after taking an amazingly fast shower to read a book. I get the feeling that if I weren't here there would be alot more conversation. Things have been getting tense, and I'm afraid they've been taking it out on each other. So, they get quiet instead of being reprimanded for what they wish they were saying.

Sigh.


I can't sit still, so I stand up and stare out of the window.

So who do I send to get what I need? I think about Scott complaining about having to visit the bar last night. Get over it, that's part of the job. ... I'm not sending anyone. I'm doing it myself. I might actually have more luck if the man is angry.

Chaz gets up in a huff when he's finished his coffee. Marian smiles at him as he leaves and she walks in. I don't know what his expression is from watching the reflection in the glass of the window I'm now only pretending to look out.

Derek stands up and puts his cup in the (non-existent... arg) sink. When he turns around and sees Marian, he smiles and walks back to the table to sit in front of her.


Now it's Scott's turn to get up in a huff and leave the room.

Derek: Greetings, Maid Marian. How art thou this day?
Marian rolls her eyes, but smiles anyway: Derek, you know I'm no "maid".

I turn around and look at the two of them with one eyebrow raised. Derek blushes. Funny.


Derek: Ah, but of course you are. The fairest maid in the whole department.
Marian: Funny, because I'm the ONLY female in this whole police force.
I sit back down in my chair.
Derek shrugs and looks over at me: Have we ever had a female police officer in this town?
Me: Yes. Just a coincidence there isn't one right now.
Marian smiles at Derek: Doesn't matter to me, really. I like hanging around all these men in uniform.

I notice Rodney as he looks up from his book and stares at the window pane.

Marian sighs: Well, since you all have finished off the coffee I'll make more and come back when it's done.

She gets up, starts another pot of coffee, and walks around the table. Derek hops up to block her exit.


Derek: How about tomorrow night?

Alright, Derek, throw caution to the wind and advertise right in front of your boss you're dating a coworker.

Marian shakes her head no: I can't. I'll probably have something I'll need to do. (She pauses and giggles.) Wait. That didn't come out right! That's not what I meant.

I chuckle. Derek looks sad. Do I interfere?


I stand up and walk over to the two of them: What she means is she'll have something to work on if I do my job right.
Derek raises his eyebrows as he looks at me now: And that is?
Me: You don't need to know.
Derek sighs: So, who's going to the bar tonight, chief?
Me: I am.
Marian looks off to the door.
His eyes widen: You?!?
Me: Yes. So, I'm going to need you to watch the house tonight.
He looks at Marian and his tone of voice is bland: Fun, fun.

My phone rings. I check it and see it's Justin. I wave the two of them back to work. I hear Derek still talking to Marian as I hit the send button.


Me: Chief Parren.
Justin: Uh, boss... I haven't seen her through the windows in a while. Could be she's sleeping.
After all that she slept last night?
Me: How long have you not seen her?
Justin: About an hour and a half.


Me: And the outside?
Justin: I haven't seen anything.
Me: Alright. I'll call her.

I dial her number. No answer. I call Justin back.

Me: I'm on my way.

(Okay, so now he magically changes into street clothes. /sigh.)

When I get home, I notice her scooter is missing. Oh God, no. When I get inside, I start calling for her. No answer. Where did she GO?

I try calling her phone again. Nothing.

The front door opens and in rushes my son.


He's panting for breath like he's just run a marathon. His sweater is ripped in a few places, and his face is slightly dirty.

Xavier: Dad! Dad! Dad!
Me: What? What's wrong with you? What happened? Have you seen your mother?
Xavier: They! They ...
Don't say it.
Xavier: They got her!
I feel like I've had the rug pulled out from under me: WHAT!?! Who? Who got her?!!
Xavier starts crying: I don't know.
I have to get him to calm down. I'm scaring him.
I crouch down so I can look him in the eye: Xavier, listen. You need to calm down and tell me everything you know. Anything. What do you remember?
He sniffs and starts shaking: I was at school. Then I wasn't. Then I heard Mom screaming, 'NO!'.
Oh God.
Xavier continues: Oh yeah, they wanted to throw me in the river.
As*h*les
Xavier: Then Mom told me to run, so I ran! I ran ...so... far!
Elena... why try to be the hero?
Xavier: There were two of them...

He takes in a huge gulp of air. He's still breathing too fast and he's in danger of passing out if he doesn't calm down a little.

I hold him steady: Do you remember anything else? What do they look like? Hair color... tattoos?
His face is getting pale: Um, One was wearing some kind of gray camouflage stuff. I remember a flaming skull. Or, a pirate skull thing with flames?

Pirate skull with flames?

Xavier: I can't remember! They hit me on the back of the head! I couldn't see right.

He breaks down in tears, and I get my phone out. He needs to get checked out at the hospital. I need to do so much... where is Marie?

Marie suddenly barges into the house: DAD! NOBODY COULD FIND X- (She pauses and looks at Xavier with a greatly relieved expression.) Man.

She flops herself down on the couch and gets out her phone. Xavier starts to take on a more natrual hue, and his breathing gets more under control. He still needs to go to the hospital.


I reach down to hug him: You did good, X-Man.
Xavier starts breathing fast again: No I didn't! I ran away and let them take her! They said, 'We've got the one we want.'
I swallow to hold back the panic and speak to Xavier again: You did just what you were supposed to do. Now, where did this happen?
Xavier: Some abandoned house next to one of the fields outside of town. But... I remember them saying they weren't staying there as I left.

Of course, they would move her. They'll knock her out and move her. I have to act fast before they move her again.

Me: Marie, get him some water and help him calm down. I need to make a few phone calls.
Marie: Sure.

She comes over and I tell her to wash him off a little and then take him to the hospital. 




I have Derek and Scott go to the shack next to the field X-man spoke of. I send Hugh to the bar. Chaz I send to the graveyard just in case. I call Justin inside my house to watch it just in case as well. Then I call Rodney and have him send out pics of Elena everywhere.


Rodney: What pictures?
Me: Get the one off my desk! C'mon, Rodney! Television, newspapers. Call the radio stations.
Rodney: 'kay.
I roll my eyes. That kid needs more common sense.

I head to On The Rocks.

When I walk in I see Hugh, but don't acknowledge him of course. The bass thumping of the music only adds to the frantic pounding of my heart.


I spot Lawrence in only a few seconds: Where is she?
Laurie: Excuse me?


Me: Don't you dare play stupid with me, "Laurie".

Laurie glares back at me. I look back at him and watch every flicker of emotion on his face.

Doesn't like the nickname, does he? Haha.

Laurie moves aside the finger I had pointed at him: I have no idea what you're talking about, but you need to calm down or I'll have you thrown out.
He's got to be hiding her somewhere.
Me: Where is Elena?
Laurie: At home I assume. Can't you keep up with your own fiancée, John?


Me: Not when she's kidnapped! And using Xavier as bait... that was low.
Laurie: Whoa! She's been kidnapped? Oh my god! John! Let me help! What can I do?
Cut the crap.
Me: You can STAY PUT.
He glares at me again: I want to help, John. I care about Elena too.

I'm afraid you care for her the wrong way. ... I'd love to stay and argue with him, but I see I'm getting nowhere. Best do the other thing I came to do.

I shove him a little: I don't NEED your help.
Laurie's voice is deadly calm: Touch me one more time, John, and I'm calling my bouncer over here.
I shove him again and pull some hair out as I do: Your thug, you mean.


There's a strange flash in Laurie's eyes: Oh, so we're going to fight like girls now and pull each other's hair out? Get out of my bar, John. I'm well within my rights to throw you out.
I lean forward and talk quieter: I don't believe you for a second, Laurie. (flash in the eyes again) If I were you I wouldn't put one toe out of line.
Laurie: Of course. Let me know if I can do anything to help.
Me: Huh.

I walk off with a scowl on my face, but inside I'm happily jumping up and down. I have a hair sample!

Chaz phones me and says he's got an idea that he wants to talk about to me in person. I go ahead and just call a meeting in the graveyard.


I get there after I've suited back up, and everyone else has already arrived. I have no idea why Marian is there, but I don't send her away.

Chaz: Chief, come here. Look at this.


Me: What is it?
Chaz points down: I'm not insulting your intelligence, but who's grave is this?
Me: Tate Williams. Jerk. R*pist. The inmates met out their own form of "justice" and that's why he's dead.
Chaz nods: Yeah. And Greg was killed here. Next to Tate's grave.
I catch on: What if they're related?


Me: But why would the killer be standing next to Tate's grave? Is it just a coincidence?

Scott has fallen asleep on the bench over there, and I hope he doesn't think I won't notice.


Chaz: It COULD be a coincidence, but we haven't much to go on do we? How much do we know of this guy Tate?
Me: He came here after med school and married Brook. They had Janie. The rest is in the case file.
Chaz: I remember reading it.
I glare at him slightly as the sun starts to set.


Chaz: Yes, but what about before med school?
Derek has walked over to us now: Chaz, that's an interesting theory, but really. Boss man, are we really going to waste man hours on this random theory?
Me: I agree with Chaz.
Derek: Well... okay. I don't mind doing that research if that's okay.

That was weird. One minute talking against it and then the other willing to help?

Me: I'll decide that in a minute.


Marian, who had been previously flirting with Justin, walks over.

Derek: Honestly, I don't mind. (He looks at Marian.) Maybe Marian and I could work on it together.

Yeah. Right. No. I don't think so.


I wonder how Hugh is doing? Elena, where are you?

Marian: I don't mind working with Derek, if that's okay.
Derek smiles at her.
Me: No, that won't be necessary. Chaz, you get started on that first thing in the morning. Marian, I have another job for you tomorrow.
Marian's eyes widen: Oh. Okay.
Derek: I'm assuming you don't want me to watch the house tonight?
My head slowly turns to Derek: No. That won't be necessary. (I raise my voice so Justin can hear me.) Justin, meet me back at the station.
Justin looks over at me almost sadly, and he silently leaves the graveyard.
Me: The rest of you can go home until tomorrow morning.

I walk over and kick Scott's feet. He sputters awake.

Me: Go home. Be awake tomorrow.
Scott: Yes, sir. Sorry.


Of course, there will be no sleep for me tonight. I have Brook come over to be with the kids. I couldn't stand the sound of Brook crying over the phone. At least she's glad to help.

I turn my head and look at my ridiculous office door. The guys painted it that way last week as a prank. I haven't had the time to get it painted back, so for now it stays that crazy shade... whatever it's called.


I go into my office and stow my hat in the big drawer.

Although I'm probably not quite as good as Marian or Rodney, I'm still plenty good enough to research Tate myself. Then I remember I told Chaz to do the research. Hm. I might need Rodney to do that after all.


I found that Tate had been adopted by his grandmother, but I couldn't readily find anything from earlier than that.

Who were his parents? All I can find is the grandmother. Strange.


My door opens and Justin walks in.

Justin: You wanted to see me?
Me: Yes. Have a seat.
He does.
I work at keeping my voice even: Did you, at any time, stop watching the house, for any reason?
Justin: I watched it like a hawk! She must've disappeared out the front when I was walking across the bridge.

I sigh heavily. He's only one man, John, and you don't have the man power to have sent two. Maybe I should have anyway, but what would those crazy politicians have to say about that? Not like I really answer to them anyway, but there is that fine line I have to walk.... DAMMIT WHO F***ING CARES WHEN ELENA IS MISSING?!

Me: Alright, Justin. Go work on writing up the report, then you can go home.
Justin: Sure. I really am sorry.
I look up as he stands: You're just one man, Justin. I shouldn't have asked that question in that manner.
Justin: But..
Me: Just... go do that paperwork.


After the door closes, I put my head in my hands, and it's not long until I start crying. For once I'm glad Elena's picture isn't on my desk. She'd just stare at me like 'Why haven't you found me yet, John? You're supposed to be the real-life superhero aren't you?'


Memories of that awful time with Elena and Tate come back to haunt me... How I didn't believe her at first. S---, that's the absolute worst thing to have done. Then OF COURSE she wouldn't want to file a report. It was me that put that bit in the file about her. Spiteful I was. I'd actually hoped that someday she'd be subpenaed to show up in case of an appeal to voice her story. Real asinine, John. All those other women.... He was a world-class psycho.


Psycho. WHO were his parents? What kind environment was he raised in?

The building is very quiet at night in this mostly-sleepy town. I look up at the clock and see it's already 4am. I overhear a conversation going on outside my office.


Hugh: So, how is he?
Justin: He is MESSED UP, man.
Hugh: Well, wouldn't you be too?
Justin: Yeah. That's why I'm not taking anything personally. WHY did she have to disappear on my watch though?
Hugh: You can't watch the entire house all the time.
Justin: I know that. I still should've called sooner. I just kept hoping I was wrong.

It's quiet for a moment.

Justin: Just a heads up. You're going into the lion's den.
Hugh chuckles a little: Thanks.


I hear my annoyingly ugly door open and close, but I don't look up.

Hugh: Hey, chief.
I grunt.
Hugh clears his throat: He didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I may as well have been in uniform, though. He knew I was working, and he watched me as closely as I watched him.
Me: Of course.

Why can't it be morning already so that Marian can come in and study this hair sample?

I sit there unmoving while Hugh looks at me sympathetically. Please don't sit there and feel sorry for me. I can't stand it.


Hugh: Sir, you really should go home and sleep if you don't mind me saying so.
Me: No. Can't.
Hugh: You're no good if you're ready to pass out from exhaustion.
I breathe in and exhale out my words: I will after I give Marian something.
Hugh: Leave it with me and I can give it to her.
Me: No. I want to hand deliver it. Nothing against you. I want to hand deliver it.
Hugh: Okay.

We're both quiet for a few minutes. Hugh's a good kid. I don't know HOW he works the night shift so much, though. Still, he's a good lieutenant. I can trust him. ... Why is he still staring at me? ... He has something else he wants to say.

Even I can hear the weariness in my voice: What else?
Hugh: Justin is blaming himself.
Part of me wants to blame him too, but there's only one person at fault here - me.
Me: Not his fault.
Hugh: You need to tell him that, sir.
Me: Thought I did.
Hugh: Maybe it didn't sink in.

I sigh noisily and walk out of my office. I'm surprised he's even still here. He's been on the clock, what, 16 hours?


Hugh chuckles a little when we see him. I sigh sadly. He's overworked.

No comments:

Post a Comment