Sunday, November 18, 2012

78: Bridgeport


(originally posted 03/21/2012)

Elena


I'm struggling against Laurie's iron grip as I watch the young officer try to move forward. The thuggish monster is blocking his path to me.

Laurie: Kill him.

The scream in my throat is cut off by Laurie's hand. I watch as the bullet hits the man's shoulder. He's still not down.

Laurie: God, you're an awful shot. Let's just get out of here.

I hear another man upstairs as Laurie backs us up towards the wall behind us. Suddenly, I feel like we've backed up too far before I watch the wall close in front of me.

Me: Where are we going?
Laurie chuckles: Why, we're going home of course.

It's very dim in this new tunnel. I hear a dripping noise before it's drowned out by a loud machine.

Corey: I'm amazed this thing still works.
Laurie: I'm amazed we found it. Very convenient.

Laurie passes me to Corey for a moment while he gets into some kind of cart. Corey effortlessly lifts me into the air and deposits me onto Laurie's lap. I struggle in vain as Laurie pins down my arms and wraps his legs around mine, pinning me to him.

Laurie: My, this is cozy.

He kisses the back of my jaw. I'm incensed. Our cart starts to move. Feet and hands captured, I start trying to bite him. I succeed on his arm.

Laurie: OW!
Corey: Use it?
Laurie: Unfortunately, yes.

There's a slight prick on my arm, then all goes dark.


The first thing I notice as I start to awaken is the smell of a man's cologne. Woodsy with some unidentifiable spices thrown in. Laurie.


I sit up and notice I'm wearing different clothes. Oh, I don't even want to THINK about how that happened.

I look around the unfamiliar room and try to remember how I got here. The last thing I can remember is biting Laurie. Dammit, they drugged me. Now where the hell am I?


I look out the window and see the ocean. The sound of tugboats drift up to me from a docking port of some kind. I'm in a high-rise building.

I've never really been in a big city before. They scare me. Too many people. Too many bad things. My schools were never in big cities either. Where AM I?


I open a drawer and find clothes my size. Anything is an improvement above going around in my underwear. Laurie does NOT need to get the wrong idea.


No sooner had I finished changing when Laurie himself walks in. At first, he looks at the bed, but when he sees I'm not in it, he looks around some more. His face lights up when he finds me.


He rushes over to me: My dear Elena! How wonderful to see you're awake!

I move to pull away, but his hands tighten and grab my hair. I get it. Behave and you won't get hurt. His thumbs start tracing my cheekbones. I've got to distract him and fast.

Me: Where am I?
Laurie starts like he's just come out of a deep thought: Ah, yes. You wouldn't know, would you?


Laurie: This is my home. My real home.
Me: But... WHERE?
Laurie smiles: Bridgeport. Where else?

But that's hours and hours away!

Laurie still smiles: Come, let me show you.

He takes my hands and pulls me out the bedroom door. I'm completely disoriented. I could fall to my death on the other side of that door, and I wouldn't see it coming. I have to trust Laurie, and that makes me nervous.


I'm standing at the top of a stairwell with windows in front of me.

Laurie: The view from downstairs is much better.

So high.


The downstairs walls are all windows. I'm terrified of heights.

Laurie: What is it?
Me: So... high.. up.


Laurie's voice has no compassion: You get used to it. Try looking straight out instead of down.

But I can't help but look down.


I turn myself completely around and sit down on the couch. Laurie flops down next to me and proceeds to stare at me.

Laurie: You're really scared, aren't you?
Me: Yes.
More than you know.


Laurie: Don't be scared. After a few days you hardly notice it. Instead of thinking about how high you are, just let yourself enjoy the view.
I'm not ENJOYING anything about this.
Me: Why am I here?
Laurie sighs as if to say 'so now we get into it': I'm afraid my revenge is going to have to wait a while longer. In the meantime, I'm going to stay here... and I told you I wasn't going anywhere without you.
Me: So I'm your prisoner still then?
Laurie: Only if you're trying to escape.
Me: Laurie...

Laurie holds up a hand, and, curious, I get silent.

Laurie: Let's fix one thing first, my dear Elena. My name isn't Laurie.
Me: I know I know. It's Lawrence.
Laurie chuckles: No, it isn't.
I stare at him.
Laurie: It's Trent. Please call me Trent, if you don't mind.

Of course. Laurie doesn't exist. The Laurie I knew was a fake. Now I HAVE lost my best friend.

Me: This is the second time you've lied to me about who you are.
Trent: I am truly sorry for that, but it couldn't be helped. Now I'm correcting it.

He reaches out his arm for me and I bolt off the couch. Instead of getting mad like I fear, he merely chuckles.

Trent: Why not come see the veranda?


Laurie, I mean Trent, shows me the deck outside. There's a hot tub and what I would guess is a nice view.


Long way down.

So high. If I jumped that would be one kind of escape... but that would mean I would never see John or my children ever again.

Trent: Just so you know, this building is full of my employees and they would swarm you like flies should you think about escaping. But you're not thinking of that, are you?

My heart plummets. That's exactly what I was thinking.

I sigh. I have to keep up hope.

Trent: Step away from the edge, my dear.

He reaches out and grabs my elbow. I jerk my arm out of his grasp.

He turns to Jack: Watch her for me a minute.


This is the man that attacked me what feels like a lifetime ago.

Jack: Listen, b*tch! You jump and I gotta clean up the mess! You better behave.
What are you going to do? Beat me up after I jump? I think, but I'm still afraid of what this man might do if I p*ss him off.


Me: I'm not GOING to jump, and like I care what you have or don't have to do.
Jack: You behave yourself or I'll...
Trent interrupts: You'll do nothing of the sort unless I tell you to.

Trent looks at Jack coldly. Jack sneers at me. Trent has changed into swim trunks and gets into the hot tub.


I stand there with my hands in fists, glaring at Jack's back.

Trent chuckles when he looks at me: C'mon, Elena. Relax. Why don't you go get your suit on and join me?

His expression tells me that what he asks is more than just a request.


I find... my own swimsuit... in the drawer upstairs. Scary. I join him in the hot tub, but sit on the opposite end from him.


He shrugs and switches sides. I swear. He touches me just once, and me biting is going to be the least of his concerns.

Trent: I have never in my life ever seen someone stay so tense while sitting in a jacuzzi.
I am NOT going to relax around you.
Trent: Relax, Elena. I won't bite. (He laughs.) But I guess you do.
I glare at the far wall.


Trent lays his head back: We have.. a party tonight. I want you to meet a few of my friends.
And you expect me to behave?.
Trent: And I'd very much appreciate it if you wouldn't embarrass me. These are my business associates as well, and it wouldn't look good for you to.... throw a tantrum.
I stay quiet.
Trent sighs: My dear, you're going to end up exhausted if you keep up that stiff attitude.
I am not your "dear".


I hear the old Laurie in his voice again: Elena, it's going to be okay. I know this must be hard for you to be suddenly thrown into this new situation, but I promise you I don't want to hurt you. Just the opposite in fact.
Don't WANT to hurt me?
Trent: What can I do to make it easier?
I finally speak, and I hate the way my voice breaks like I'm about to cry: I want to go home.


Trent sighs angrily and gets up out of the hot tub: This IS home.
Me: No, it's not.
Trent: It is now, so you'd better get used to it.

He walks off and my tears mingle with the water in the jacuzzi.

No comments:

Post a Comment