Tuesday, November 27, 2012

86: Suspicious Behavior

(originally posted 03/26/2012)

John


We're just laying there staring at each other without saying a word when the phone on the nightstand rings.

(I had forgotten it was an ACTUAL phone. )

I sigh and get up to answer it. Elena goes to the restroom.


Me: Hello?
Hugh: It's hit the fan.
Me: What has?
Hugh: The agency heard about you being majorly involved in the Trent White case.
I say as curse: Bell.

Monique (my contact agent in Bridgeport) ran her mouth off to our superiors.

Hugh: You guessed it.
I grit my teeth: She is MY FIANCÉE! I was not about to stand by and take the risk of letting someone else do it.
Hugh: Hey, I understand. I didn't think it was a good idea, but I also knew I'd want the same if I were in your shoes.

Yes, I know. I could've lost my head and put us in further danger. I know I know. Still.


My cell phone rings now.

Me: Thanks for the warning. They're calling my cell now.
Hugh: No prob. Good luck.

Elena looks concerned: Everything okay?
Me: Doubt it.

I hang up the house phone and answer my cell.

My boss: Parren! What were you thinking?! I'd never expected anything like this from YOU?!
Me: I'm sorry sir, but you should also have expected that I'd never let anyone take my place in THAT mission.
My boss: I ought to fire your as*!
I'm quiet in a mute dare for him to do it.
He laughs: We need a face-to-face discussion.

I'm not leaving Elena alone. Please come here.

I hear the sound of him stretching: Eh, I've been wanting to come check out your little station.
Need to repaint the door.
He continues: I'll be there Thursday. I wish I could be there sooner, but I just can't swing it.
Me: Certainly, sir. Do you need accommodations?
My boss: We'll see. I'll let you know. Until then don't do anything unless you hear it from me directly, got it?
Me: Yes, sir.
My boss: See you Thursday, Parren.
Me: Thursday.

I turn to Elena: I need to go to the station for a few hours.
Elena almost mumbles: Of course you do.
Me: What?
Elena: Nothing.
I heard you.


Me: Are you going to be okay while I'm gone?
Her expression says the opposite of what her mouth does: Yes. I'll be fine. I'll just sleep the time away.

I lean over and kiss her passionately before I get up to go.

Me: Get some sleep. I'll be home as soon as I can.
Elena: Mhm.


Something had occurred to me as I was talking to Hugh that I wanted to get more information on.


It was just strange the way Monique said her surprise that I'd figured out The Boss was Trent.

"You know Trent White is the Boss? How did you figure that one out?"

That sounds alot like she already knew.



Maybe I'm over-thinking it. Maybe it's nothing. Still. It almost sounded like, 'How did you know Trent White was The Boss?'


I call Hugh up and ask him what he thinks. He agrees that it sounds a little off. I ask him to keep me posted on what she's up to.

I finish up some chief stuff and head back home.


It's now about 6:30 in the morning. I'm exhausted.

I walk into the bedroom and see Elena sleeping peacefully. So nice to see that. No nightmares. I hope she slept well. Well, these past few hours anyway.


I lay down and she rolls over to me. She kisses me quickly, then turns around to get out of bed.

Me: Baby, come back to bed. You should sleep more.
Elena: I slept like a rock these past hours I guess. I'm just not tired. You sleep, though.

I decide not to argue with her. I sigh once and pass out.



Elena



Of course John just HAD to go into work again. That dam* job. Why does it always seem that when things are going really REALLY good that the phone rings?

Okay, maybe not EVERY time, but frequent enough to be annoying.

Ay! And if he DIDN'T have that job then I may not have gotten the rescue that I got. .... Oh I don't want to go there right now.


I look around for something to do. I don't want to wake the house up this early. I decide to go try to read that book again.


I'm finally at the part when she runs across that old flame of hers again. They found each other on the internet. Well, more like HE found HER. Surprise! Guess who?

Yes, this DOES remind me of Greg. During that time when I was still married to John. The emotions running through her mind are very familiar. The whole 'I can't believe he can still affect me this way' thing. Huh. There's even the mention of a 'moth to the flame' bit. All they're doing is chatting about their lives and how great they are now. She doesn't want to tell him how she really feels because she feels terrible about the mistake she made. She's still afraid to tell him for the same reasons she was afraid to admit she loved him in the past: he could hurt her.

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this. All it is doing is make me think about Greg. I said goodbye to him! There is literally nothing more I can do now! Greg is in the past. Still... I wonder what THIS woman is going to do?



John mumbles something in his sleep. Something to do with bells. I laugh inwardly at how silly he sounds before I go back to reading.

So, Mrs. Leading Lady, you're going to avoid telling him... AGAIN. Yeah, because it worked so good the first time. Been there, done that. Best out with it before something ELSE happens that might cause yet more regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment