Sunday, November 4, 2012

64: Fear



(originally posted 03/10/2012)


The following morning, I get up and John and I have a lovely breakfast. He had a ring hiding in his pocket that whole time! He gave it to me this morning. When we break the news to Marie and Xavier (and Ben, too, for that matter, but I don't think he caught on hehe) there was joyful cheering that I'm sure could be heard several houses down. My family is going to get back together!

After John leaves for work and I have a delightful bubble bath, I head over to the bar to work on the more mundane part of running a business that Laurie can't stand. I don't really mind it all that much; I enjoy the quiet.


My quiet is shattered as Laurie walks in.

Laurie: Elena, can we talk?
I feel my hands shake slightly: Not right now, Laurie. I want to get this done, and if I'm interrupted too much I have to start my whole train of thought over again.
Laurie: I'll wait.


So, he walks around the desk and sits in one of the chairs in front of it, staring at me.

I can't concentrate with him staring at me like that!

I come to a decent stopping place and look over at him: What do you want to talk about, Laurie, since you're obviously not going to wait for another time?
Laurie: What do you think I want to talk about?
Me: I think I can guess.
Laurie: I want to apologize for the other night. I crossed the line.

I sit there quietly, staring at my desk and running a finger along a vein in the stone top.


I can't look at him. My eyes now move to stare at the figures on the screen. The bar is doing well.

Laurie: Elena?
Me: Mm?
Laurie's voice sounds strained: I want to know if you'll accept my apology.
Me: I want to know why you feel like you have to apologize for it.
Laurie: Well, for one I've made you uncomfortable. I don't like that.
Me: You haven't made me uncomfortable.
Laurie: Don't lie, Elena.
I let out air in a huff: Okay. Yes. I'm slightly uncomfortable right now, but it's not that big a deal.
Laurie: Just tell me if you don't feel the same way I do. If you don't, I won't bother you about it.
My voice sounds small as I now look over at him: I'm sorry, Laurie. I don't. For your sake, I wish I did. You're a great friend. In fact, you're probably one of my best friends.


Laurie speaks in almost a monotone: Best friends. Business partners and best friends.
I whisper: Sorry.
Laurie: Me too. (He stands and turns towards the door, but looks over his shoulder at me.) But hey listen, don't worry about it. Hah, I guess you have enough to worry about with the other two.
Me: I don't have anything to worry about. I told Greg we're through, and I mean it. And, I'm engaged to John as of last night.
I see the lightning flash in his eyes again: John?!
Fear courses through me as I look in his eyes: Yes.
He stomps towards the door: I'll see you later then.

He slams the door and I jump a little in my chair.

I don't see him for the rest of the day. I leave about the time the bar is set to open and head for home. I can only assume he's inside working it because I don't want to go check.


John is planning to move into my house since it's bigger. Besides, there are too many bad memories for me in his house. I gave him a key, of course.

He catches me as I walk in the door: Elena, I have terrible news.

No comments:

Post a Comment