Tuesday, November 20, 2012

79: Getting Ready


(originally posted 03/22/2012)

John

After I visited Justin's sleeping form, I checked up on Scott and Derek. I had sent them to check the shack.

Something very interesting happened. As soon as Scott discovered a hidden panel (sigh) in the shack and that it lead to a tunnel, Derek turned on him and attacked him. Scott would probably be dead now if it weren't for his quick thinking. When Hugh and I arrived, we found that he'd shot Derek in the leg and had him cuffed on the floor. I remember how Derek cursed me and every member of my family and ancestors back 200 years or so. No, that's a bit of an overstatement. He certainly did have alot of hatred for me.

Turns out he was in Trent's employ.

Scott discovered an old mine shaft that led from the shack to near the underground rooms at the bar. They had cut a small corridor from the bar's basement rooms to the shaft. There was apparently an old machine that used to transport the mining carts with their cargo to and fro. That was the noise we heard. Scott certainly looked pleased with himself.


Hugh insisted upon coming with me to Bridgeport. He's a lower-ranking agent in the SIA as well. That's how I found him to give him the lieutenant position. But, there's no reason for him to have come with me. I can handle this with the help of the local police.

I try to tell him that the whole flight over. Then once again when we get to our final stop on the transit line.


The sun is just starting to peep up over the horizon as I question him about it.

Hugh: I'm sorry, John. I don't think you can handle this on your own.
I'm stunned: What?!
Hugh: It's because it's your fiancée. This affects you alot more personally than it should for you to be going solo on this.
Me: I can keep a clear head.
Hugh: I disagree.

We stand there in mute conflict.

Looks like I have a partner in this job then. Okay Mr. Therapist, you win. I think, but I don't let him know.

Me: Let's just get to the house.


The SIA's house for the city of Bridgeport. Great view. People think it's a rental. The furniture inside is crap. It's perfect.


No time to enjoy the terrible furniture though, Hugh and I immediately get to work.


(Okay, I had to. I just couldn't resist getting pics of John on a motorcycle )

I head out to meet a contact to get some information.


She isn't supposed to be here for a little while, so I act casual and pretend to read a book.


Her name is Monique Bell. She's helped me out on a few cases here in Bridgeport in the past.

Monique: Parren.
Me: Bell.
Monique asks me what is going on.
Me: I need a rescue. She's being held by Trent White, aka The Boss.

I roll my eyes as I say his nickname.

Monique: Crap. You know Trent White is The Boss? How did you figure that one out?
Me: Luck, and he made a mistake when he murdered someone I know, and a really smart girl in forensics.
Monique chuckles then gets more serious: This isn't going to be easy. White's building is a fortress. This is going to definitely need help from the locals.
Me: I anticipated that.
Monique: Who's he holding?
Me: My fiancée.
Monique: WHAT?! What the hell are you doing on this case, Parren?
Me: It's personal now.
Monique: Which is exactly why you shouldn't do this!


Me: I can't just stand around while she's in danger.
Monique: You're going to endanger yourself and everyone else if you participate. Please don't make me have to report you to the higher ups.
I frown: Don't do that. (A sudden idea hits me.) I know. Carson is in charge of this.
Monique shakes her head: You can't be a part of this, Parren. You'll be reckless.


Me: Then have them fire me after it's over. I'm GOING to save her.
Monique sighs: I'll help you as much as I can.

She gives me the name of the person to talk to in the local police force to get what I need.


The guy I needed to talk to was named Richard. He was a real d*ck. But, we eventually planned a raid for later tonight since time is of the essence. His sources say that Trent plans on throwing a little party tonight.


Hugh goes out and tries to see if he can glean any information on the building from the locals. He comes up empty except for the phone number for a bartender and an autograph of a famous person.


After the sun sets, we go to the house to get ready. The party is only just getting started, and the plan is to let it go for a while before we strike.

Me: So you basically ended up flirting with the bartender all afternoon?
Hugh sighs exasperatedly: There was NO ONE there, except for that Lola Bell. You know, the one from those vampire movies.
Me: No, I don't know. I haven't seen them.
Hugh: Neither have I, but still..
I shake my head a little and grin at him in spite of myself: I'm going inside to make sure this beard is really all gone.


I often change my appearance for different jobs. Still, I think I look strange without my beard.


Hugh and I almost loiter around White Tower. It's making him nervous that we're so out in the open like this. I say that if you want to hide something, best do it in plain sight.

My phone rings.

Bell: They've ordered a cheese pizza. Go to it, delivery boy.

Cheese pizza. Elena. I bet they didn't have veggie fare at the party. This is a very good sign.

I leave Hugh outside to assist Richard while I go get the pizza and acquire a uniform.


(Just imagine the pizza box.)
Unexpectedly, Trent himself answers his own door. I get invited in to set up the box, which was a nice surprise. I had only hoped I'd get a glimpse of her from the doorway.

I change my voice to mimic the local accent: Oh my god, is that guy skinny dipping out there?
Trent laughs and heads out to the veranda.


I look around, and find the love of my life standing in the kitchen, looking out the window forlornly. Holy s---, she's beautiful. Now that Trent is occupied I just might get away with letting her know everything is about to be okay.


This falls under "reckless", but I don't care. Right now I just want to see her.


I wish I could just knock everyone out, grab her, and get out of here. But, Monique was right. This place is WAY too secure.

Me: Remain calm.

Her lovely backbone straightens with a jerk, and she slowly turns to face me. Her eyes widen when she finally recognizes me.


Her breathing picks up as she whispers: What are you doing here? This place is crawling with his men.
Me: Talk quiet, whispers carry easier. And, I had to see if you were okay. As okay as you can be.

Slight bruise to her shoulder and another on her wrist. No black eyes. No bruised jaw. Good, he hasn't beat her. Just restrained.


I so desperately want to hold her, but that would certainly draw attention to us.

Elena: I'm not okay.
My heart aches to see her expression: I know. I needed to come in to see where he was keeping you, and I can see from your condition that you've been being a good girl.
She immediately takes what I've said the wrong way and raises her voice slightly: I didn't do anything with him!
No! Hush, Elena.
Me: Be quiet. I know you're only doing what you have to to keep him from hurting you. That's actually one of the best things you can do.

That is, if fighting gets ruled out. But now she's in danger of getting Stockholm syndrome. Still, I don't want to encourage her to fight him. I'D like to be the one to kick him in the balls though. I hate him! Parading around MY Elena like she's his prize. Oh, please, Trent. Give me the excuse to kill you.

I see her eyes start to tear up.


Me: Baby, please don't cry.

I can't bear it, and we do NOT need anything to draw attention to us. I've probably already taken too long. I just don't want to leave her.

Me: We're coming. I won't tell you when, just in case.

Just in case you feel the sudden need to tell him. ARGH! I hate that he could be brainwashing her. He probably is to some extent. That's why she isn't hurt too badly. I can't bear the thought of her being hurt.


She works at calming herself down. Atta girl.

I feel a gut-wrenching pain as I tell her the next bit: I know you don't want to hear this, but you need to keep being a good girl.
She looks at me with an appalled and horrified expression.
Be good. I won't have you getting hurt in the last bit here.
Me: You do what you need to do to keep from getting hurt. We won't take long.


Her eyes cut back and forth a few times. Ah, I get it. Trent has returned from the outside deck and is probably wondering why I'm talking to you. I see him in the glass.


I resist the urge to punch him as I watch him wordlessly order her away. She obeys, and my heart breaks for her.

Trent: Problem?
Me: No, sir. She was just thanking me for the pizza, and we were discussing vegetarian recipes.

He bought it.


Trent: Well, take your lousy tip and beat it. This is a private party.
Me: Yes, sir. Sorry.


I keep my expression blank as I think, You don't recognize me do you, "Laurie"? *******.

I walk out of the party with one last look at Elena. On the way down the elevator, I have a hard time maintaining my cool. I'm sure the elevator has a camera. The only outward sign of my distress are my tightly clenched fists.

(I didn't intend to make a break here, but I'm so tired. I bet this'll have to be edited when I read it in the morning. I guess John isn't the only one not "operating on all cylinders" hehe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment