Saturday, November 10, 2012

70: Abducted!



(originally posted 03/16/2012)

Back to that morning...


After yesterday when we spent too long talking on the couch about nothing, John and I went to bed that morning once the kids went to school. I think he only slept about four hours before he went to work again. I couldn't sleep much longer than that, and I went around in my PJs while the babysitter took care of Ben again. That same police officer was always in sight again until John got home again.

Now it's morning and I'm having a wonderful dream about John. We haven't woohooed since the night of the engagement, and I can't believe how badly I want to again. After everything, I guess I'm only sim.

I feel someone staring at me, and I open my eyes to see it's John.

I smile up at him: Good morning.


John: Good morning yourself, beautiful.
I groan slightly: I don't feel so beautiful right now. Sleep in my eyes, hair a mess, and I'm sure I didn't wash off all my mascara last night. (I say under my breath) Crazy waterproof stuff.
John just smiles as he turns around to the chest of drawers to get his uniform on. As he heads off to the restroom, I think about getting myself out of bed.


I do finally get my lazy butt out of bed and stretch as I hear the toilet flush. John opens the door, and when he sees that I'm out of bed he charges across the room, wraps his arms around me, and plants an ardent kiss on my lips.

I haven't even had a chance to brush my teeth yet!

I pull my head back: John, you know I hate it when you kiss me before I've had a chance to brush my teeth.
John: I don't care. You don't have morning breath.
I don't believe him: Right.
John shrugs: Even if you did, I still wouldn't care.


Oh I give up.


John is the one to pull away this time.

He sighs: I have to go to work again. That girl in forensics maybe found something.
I open my eyes wider: Really?
He never shares what's going on with work.
John: Yeah, so I need to go. (He sighs again.) Promise me...
I interrupt: That I'll stay under house arrest and not let anyone in.
John look perturbed by what I just said: At least until I can rule out a possibility. (He tucks some hair behind my ear.) Please do this for me, love. I'm just worried.
I sigh now: But I need to go balance the books. I'm sure Laurie has made a mess of them. Maybe I could call him and have him bring them over. At least bring my computer to me.
John: No. That would fall under "no visitors". (I sigh again.) I could bring your computer to you this evening.
Me: Alright, the princess will stay locked in the tower.
John warns: Elena...
I smile: Alright alright, get to work.
John: I love you.
Me: Love you too.

I wander around aimlessly for a while after I get dressed. They had to delay Greg's funeral a little for the investigation. That bothers me; I need closure.


After cleaning the shower, my phone rings.

Me: Hello?
A metallic sounding voice answers me: Elena Castillo?

(I switched to my birth parents' last name when Greg and I divorced.)

I'm nervous: Yes. What do you want?
The voice: We have your son.

I hear a familiar child's voice moaning meaninglessly like he's hurt over the phone.


Xavier!!! That's my son!

Me: Who are you?
The voice: If you want to see him again then come to very back field of the Dubois' farm. There is a shack. There you find further instructions that will tell you what to do.

I start hyperventilating. I need to call John.

The voice interrupts my thoughts as it continues: We will know if you involve the police. I'd hate to have to hurt him further. One sight of a cop or anyone else besides you and we'll break his fingers one by one.
Me: What do you want!?


Me: Hello? .... Hello??

The phone goes dead as cold fear shoots through my veins.

What do I do? They said if anyone else showed up... so that rules that out. Oh no, what if someone happens to wander by and doesn't know? No!! I can't let that happen. But, how do I get out without that cop seeing me? I realize that not only is that police officer protecting the house, he's also making sure I stay put.


I wound up waiting until he had his back turned to cross the bridge again, and made a break for it on my scooter. I can't believe it worked. Good thing the street was noisy already.


I wish I had a gun. This doesn't bode well for me. They wouldn't even tell me what they want.


This is incredibly stupid, Elena. I tell myself. This is just the sort of thing John asked you NOT to do. There's the shack.


Okay. They said there would be a clue here that would tell me what I need to do next. I hope I don't have to go inside. It doesn't look safe. Huh. Safe.

My eyes cut around everywhere checking all around me. It makes me nervous that I don't know what's on the other side of the run-down building.


This place smells like mold. I wonder where they put the...


Out of nowhere, arms circle around me. No! I try to reach my arms up underneath his to break free, but I can't even get my balance in these stupid heels.

Heels.

I try to use those "stupid heels" to smash into my attackers feet, but he was ready for that little trick. I ram my elbow into his ribs and his grip loosens slightly as he grunts in pain.

Hah!


Again, I try to ram the heels of my shoes onto his feet, but he's recovered from the elbow to the ribs amazingly fast.

The attacker: Get that kid outta here! We've got the one we want."
Another voice: What should I do with him?
The attacker: I don't give a s---. Throw him in the river.
Me: NO!!!

Run, Xavier. I'll do what I have to. Run!

I hear Xavier over the grunting of my attacker: Mom?
Me: Run!
Xavier: But...
Me: RUN!!

I manage to spin myself around to see what's going on behind me. The other guy is chasing after Xavier as he runs away.

Run, baby.


I'm not going easy, as-h-le. Knee to the groin.

My attacker dodges my attempt to knee him: Let him go. We're not ending up anywhere near here.

I try to further shove him off of me. Focus, Elena. Find his weakness.

The attacker: Help me with this one!

The other guy starts running back towards us as I see Xavier disappear into the woods. Good.

Suddenly there is the overpowering odor of something like fingernail polish as my attacker has me pinned against the wall. His hand is over my mouth and nose as I try to move my face away from the cloth in it. Unwillingly, I can't help but breathe it in.


No! I think as everything goes dark.

...


The next thing I know, I wake up in a strange room. There is a pounding noise going on somewhere above me.


Where am I? What is that noise?

I hear a shuffling behind me. I get up and wobble my way around to see what it is.


There's a man sitting in a chair behind some kind of barred barrier.

The man: Oh, good. I was getting sick and tired of sitting here. The boss will be happy you're awake.

Familiar voice. So this is the face of the one that attacked me.

He goes upstairs and it's not long until I see a set of feet on the stairs.






I'm numb with shock.


I crash to the ground: NOOOO!!!!
Laurie smiles: Hello to you too, Elena my dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment