Tuesday, August 21, 2012

17: You're Grounded, Young Lady!

(originally posted 9/30/2011)

Sunday

Sunday morning I'm out in the garden (yes, in the same clothes as yesterday--I forgot for once.) when Greg calls and asks me if I wanted to go hang out at the park. I tell him sure!


John and Marie are in the back while he teaches her Sim Fu. He's having a blast, and she looks like she's enjoying the attention. That's good, I say to myself. It's not always that a step-parent and a step-child get along.

Me: I'm going out for a bit.
John: Alright, see you when you get back! No, Marie, like this!

Me: Hey, Greg. What's up?
He looks down for a sec and frowns: Not much. How about you?
Me: Pretty much the same. Oh! Marie made prom queen.

Greg: Really? Good for her!

We stand there for a sec not saying anything. This co-worker of mine (Raquel Sims that used to run the café) keeps staring at us. It's kind of rude. She's a bit of a gossip and I got the feeling that she was hoping for something juicy to talk about. Greg notices it too and cuts his eyes in her direction with a questioning expression. I shrug.

Greg clears his throat: Well, I, uh, just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I was a bit of a downer.
Me: You were?
Greg: Yeah, I didn't really mean to lay all my problems at your feet like that.
Me: Greg, what are friends for if not for that?

Just then my phone rings.

It's John.
John: Elena! Where are you?
Me: I told you, I was going to the park for a bit.
John: No you didn't. When was this?
Me: When you were training Marie. In fact, you said, "Alright, I'll see you when you get back."
John: I did? Well, I need you to come home now. Xavier has messed all over the crib and himself. I need help, and Marie has just stepped into the shower.
I sigh: Well, ok, I'm on my way.
I hang up.

Me: I gotta go, John needs me back home.

I hate the fact that John just made me feel like a criminal for taking a few moments for myself out of the house.
For a split second Greg looks annoyed, but it quickly fades. Then he plants an obviously fake smile on his face.

Greg: Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll see you later, I guess.


I go home and help clean up the mess. Where's that darn maid when you need her?

John: Who's daddy's clean boy? Is it you? I think it is! Clean clean clean clean big baby boy. Yes, you're gonna break hearts aren't you?

Then he tickles the baby til Xavier is squealing with laughter. I would find this cute if I weren't so tired. I go lay down to take a nap as John puts Xavier down for one as well.

John: Babe, I need to go out to talk to this one guy. It has something to do with work, I won't be long, k?
I say sleepily: Sure.

So THIS is Donnell. He looks like a nice guy. Well, you know what they say, opposites attract.

Marie takes advantage of the fact that I'm asleep for the night now to go prank the next door neighbors..our old house.

And again at another house! She had quite a little adventure until..
Somebody called the police. Marie tries to hide ON THE SIDEWALK with some branches of a nearby bush. Somehow that didn't work and she was sent home in the squad car. John was still awake when she got there.

John: What has gotten INTO you? THAT BOY is a bad influence.
Marie: Andy had nothing to do with this. In fact, he said he couldn't come.
John: Of course he couldn't! Instead he left you to take the heat for his idea.
Marie: It was MY idea.
John: Well, then, there's not a doubt in my mind. YOU'RE GROUNDED!

2 comments:

  1. Oh yep.... recipe for extramarital activity...
    Marie hiding behind sticks was a riot. :)

    ReplyDelete