Wednesday, August 8, 2012

6: Break Up and Make Up

(originally posted before 9/26/2011)

The rest of the week is just awful. I don't think I can avoid Tate any more. I worried that John has told Brook since she's not returning any of my calls. I fix myself up all pretty Friday night because John said he'd come over so we could "talk".

The doorbell rings, and it's not John. Crud! It's Tate.



Tate: Why have you been avoiding me at work? I've been so distracted looking for you that I got demoted!
Me: Tate, don't blame me for that. And...I want you to leave. I HAVE been avoiding you at work all week. I want you to leave me alone. You'll be lucky if I don't press charges.
Tate: YOU'LL be lucky if I don't slap you across the face for saying that! You know you wanted it, too! You certainly didn't seem to mind the other night!
Me: I don't remember the other night! And I want you to leave!
Tate: Fine! I guess I'm more than man you can handle!

I barely have enough time to compose myself before John arrives.


He walks in and my heart is hammering in my chest. I accidentally out of habit try to hug him. Ugh, awkward. So, I tuck my hair behind my ear and he looks away. He's doing his darndest to keep from looking at me. I bite my lip.

John: I want to apologize for the awful things I said. However, I think I need to be fair to you and officially end it.
Me: No, John. Please, I'm telling the truth. Ask any of the other nurses at work. Please! I never meant for any of this to happen.
John: I saw him drive away from your house, Elena. Please don't lie to me anymore.
Me: That was him coming to accuse me of avoiding him at work! I WAS avoiding him at work! I don't want anything to do with him!

John sighs.
John: Well, that's all I came to say. Have a nice rest of your evening, Elena.

Then he looks me full in the eyes. He looks so sad and hurt. It's all I can do to keep from throwing myself at his feet and beg. He turns and leaves. I throw myself down on the couch and cry.

I finally get up. I need to sleep, but I just can't. So, I might as well study some. It'd be great to be higher up in the hospital than that jerk. I have that stupid, "Yeah another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody" song in my head. It's not Saturday, it's Friday, but the concept is the same.

The next morning I sleep in. When I finally drag myself out of bed there are 3 messages on my machine. It's John! He wants me to come over?!


I ring the bell at his house and he runs to open it. Then he drags me into the house and hugs me. I'm in total shock.

John: Oh Elena. I'm a total jerk. Please, please, please forgive me. Last night I went by the hospital and the other nurses supported your story. I never should have doubted you. That man is a jerk.
Me: Why didn't you believe me?
John: I'm so sorry. I didn't mean what I said. I was hurt. I guess I'm more than a little insecure. I.....wouldn't blame you at all if you never spoke to me again. I just wanted to tell you. Here. Where all the bad words were spoken.

I started crying.


John: Please don't cry. Don't. It was heart-wrenching listening to you from your front yard last night. (he pauses) Can you ever trust me again?
Me: Are you crazy? The real question is that can you trust me?
John: You've done nothing wrong.
Me: But you didn't trust me.
John: I don't know what I was thinking. Some weird stuff at work had been happening where a wife was cheating on her husband. I gotta learn to leave work at work. Can you forgive me?
Me: You silly goose, of course I can.

Then he got a serious expression on his face.

John: Now, what are you going to do about him? You need to file a report with the ....
Me: No.

John: what?
Me: No. I just want this forgotten. I don't want the law involved. I've told him to leave me alone.
John: Just telling him isn't a guarantee that he will.
Me: Well, then I'll call the police. um, you. (soft chuckle)
John: No, not good enough.
Me: Huh?
John: Move in with me. (he smiles) Then you'll have the police with you all the time.

I think my heart just stopped beating. Talk about a 180.

Me:Um, I think my garden would die if I tried to move it.
John: Of course you would worry about your silly garden. (he shrugs) Ok, I move in with you?
My mouth starts twitching as I'm trying not to cry again.
Me: That would be wonderful.

That afternoon:

John: I'm the luckiest man in the world.
I just squeeze, afraid he's going to disappear again.

side note: since he moved in the game brought Marie back from boarding school. I sign her up again, but she's there for the night.

2 comments: