Monday, August 27, 2012

21: It Hits The Fan


(The original title to the first part to this chapter was 'No Title', so I combined 21 and 21.1 (another chapter number screw up))
(originally posted on 10/04/2011)

I get home and hear John out back in the shed. He's actually doing laundry? Wow. He's letting Xavier play around at his feet.



John: I was wondering when you'd get home. Where did you go?
Me: I went to the grocery store like I said, then it was just such a pretty day I sort of wandered around. I guess time got away from me, sorry.
John: I NEED to apologize to you about investigating Tate.
I scowled.
John: Give me a minute. Babe, I just wanted you to be safe.
Me: I told you not to worry about it.
John: I should have never promised you I'd let up on him. I should've known that I wouldn't be able to stand him walking around free after what he did to you. Then, finding out that you weren't the only one....It's my job. Both as a husband and as a police officer.
Me: I didn't know about the other women until the court date. You could've told me.
John: That's just it, I couldn't. I'm sorry I used you as bait without telling you what was going to happen. That was wrong. Can you forgive me?
Me: Yes, I just need a little time to deal with it.
John: OK.
Me: So...what did you do today?


John: I wish you'd have been here. You missed Xavier's first steps and everything.
Me: He's walking! That's wonderful!
John pauses then says: I just don't understand why you're home so late.

Me: Well, I walked up to see the castle. I decided not to take a taxi, so it took me a long time. Thank you for doing the laundry, by the way.
Change the subject!
John: Oh no problem. There's a few things I needed clean by tomorrow so I thought I'd just do it. I can't expect you to be super mom.

I smile.

John: To further show you how sorry I am, I got these for you today. Purple, just like your eyes, and I was right; they match.
Me: Oh my goodness. You didn't have to do that...where did you get them?
John smiles: I know. And I had them delivered.


Me: Oh! I didn't get a chance to tell you, when I was teaching Xavier how to talk he really went nuts about art. We may have a little artist on our hands.
John: Artist, huh? I don't think he gets that from my side of the family.
Me: What? As creative as you are?
John: Yeah...but I wouldn't call that 'art'.
I snort: Well, I don't know if he gets it from my side or not. Does it matter?
John: Not really, I guess. He'll be good at whatever he does. He's a Parren after all.

He flashes those amazing teeth again. Oh boy, I'm in deep. HOW can I choose when they're both so great? John stretches and says he's going to go upstairs, take a shower, and go to bed...in the bed...if that's okay with me. I say fine and walk over to Xavier.

Me: Who's mommy's big boy?
I am so sorry I'm going to possibly ruin your life. Mommy isn't perfect. Ha! Nowhere near.
Me: I love you, sweetie.
Xavier: Ah-boo. (which means I love you) 


 Monday

John leaves for work this morning dressed like he's going undercover in the stadium. Hmm...Greg works in the stadium. I hope there's not a confrontation. Maybe he's not working in OUR stadium.

Pretty much the work day passes without event. Again, I want to go out and have some fun, but John stays home.


It's Sue, my sister-in-law, the one that's married to Eric. Hmm... cougar.

Sue: Elena! It's been forever since I've talked with you!
Me: Hey, Sue. How's it going?
Sue: Oh fine, fine. I'm glad I caught you. There's something we need to talk about.


Sue: I realize you've never been over to our house, but I wonder..do you know where we live?
Me: Actually, it's funny, but I don't.
Sue: We live right across from where Brook used to live.
Me: Oh! Then that means.... you live....
Sue: Next to Greg Turner.
I swallow: How... interesting.
Sue: Yes, isn't it?

Then she pulls me closer to whisper in my ear.

Sue: I saw you yesterday. You were in his house for a very, very long time. Now, according to me, your business is your business. I'm no saint either.
Me: I don't know what you mean.
deny, deny, deny
Sue sighs: I told you I won't judge you, Elena. But...I'm not so sure about Eric. He and John are close, as you know. I can't be sure one way or another if he saw you. We had a ton of visitors yesterday. Maybe they kept him busy, but we have a clear view of Greg's house from our bathroom window. (she chuckles) We used to make a game of it watching all the women come and go from his place.
 

Sue lands a hard look on me: Don't get caught in his web too, Elena. It would be a real shame for John to lose you. I don't think he'd tolerate it do you?
Me: Ummm...
Sue pats my cheek: Don't worry, sweetie. I just want you to be careful.

I don't feel much like dancing after that. I fake it until I see Sue leave, which is thankfully not very long. All those women? All those women. I know I shouldn't judge him. He'd told me that he was seeing people, but that was before he thought he could possibly get me back. How recently has she seen women coming in and out? I can't ask her because that would give me away. Ugh, I need some sleep.

Tuesday
Yet another typical day at work, but this time I invite a friend over afterwards.


Me: Ivana is REALLY getting on my nerves. She actually thinks she deserves the position more than me, can you believe it?
Raquel laughs: Heaven help anyone who stands in YOUR way, Elena.

I keep having to remind myself to watch what I say. Though she's really turning into a great friend at work, she's a real gossip. Still, it's great to have a friendly ear to complain to, even if it's only about superficial things.


Err...I guess she thought I needed a hug.

Marie calls me from outside to watch this new flying kick thing she's been working on. She shows me; Raquel and I cheer; and then she smiles and goes inside to shower off.

Raquel: She's so lucky to be with such a stable family.
Me: I don't think she remembers her birth family.
Raquel: She doesn't need to...and I have to say I'm SO proud of John being the best father. I wish my 2 had such a great dad, but he left, you know, when my oldest was about 5.
Me: I remember you telling me. What a scumbag.
John enters the backyard smiling: Who's a scumbag?

He walks up to me and plants one..right in front of Raquel. I can sense she feels a little annoyed. Well, who am I do deny myself a fantastic kiss?

John turns to Raquel: Goodnight, Raquel.

I turn to her apologetically. She shrugs and says goodnight. Then John tickles me. I run away, and he chases me up the stairs.... yeah...

Ahem, well, when we're finished, I hear a banging on the door. I hurriedly put my clothes on, throw my hair up, and run to answer it. Whoever it is is really getting impatient.

I open the door slightly and Greg pushes it the rest of the way open as I gasp.

Greg: You act surprised to see me.
I whisper: Shh! Not so loud!
Greg: I told you I wasn't going to wait forever. These past two days have been a lifetime.

I continue to whisper: I haven't decided what to do yet. You've got to give me more time. This isn't easy.
Greg gets a little louder: So HE gets to be with you while you make up your mind?
Me: He IS my husband...
Greg: And judging by the disheveled state of your hair and clothes he's fully acting as your husband.

Ice cold dread filled my stomach as I hear John coming down the stairs. Our house has a little gap from the dining room to the stairs. I know Greg's voice easily carried to the hallway upstairs.

John enters the dining room with a murderous look on his face.

John says stiffly: Hello, Greg. What brings you here at this late hour?

I quickly give Greg a pleading expression.

Greg says in a monotone: I was just coming over to tell Elena thank you for helping me clean my house Sunday.

I smile gratefully. John's phone rings. The stiff, suspicious expression has not left his face. He answers the phone. His eyes dart back and forth between Greg and me.

John (into the phone): Is that right? ... Yes, he's here, actually..... Really .... I understand ..... No. Thank you. You have my best interests at heart .... Don't worry. I'll get to the bottom of this. It's incredibly CONVENIENT that he's here.

If looks could kill, Greg would be reduced to ashes. Then John turns those hard eyes on me. I'm so scared I'm shaking. So this must be a taste of what a criminal caught by John feels like.

John points his finger at me: Would YOU care to explain yourself?
I lean away from him: I don't know what you're talking about!
John: Eric SAW you at Greg's house almost all day Sunday. I don't see how that little house could be THAT dirty, and for that matter, you TOLD me that you were out taking walks all day.
Think of something! Quick!
Me: If I'd told you I was at Greg's, I knew you'd act just like this.

John: Like what? Upset that my WIFE spent the entire day Sunday with an ex-lover? Alone? At his house?!
Me: John, please, nothing happened.

I can see the rage building inside him.

John: I don't believe you, Elena. I know you. You should know me enough to know that I wouldn't buy that.

I look down at my feet, trying not to cry.

I say in a small voice: Nothing happened.

He's not buying it. Well....nothing like what he's thinking happened, but that doesn't mean I'm totally innocent. Oh God, I'm losing him. I feel my heart breaking. Huh?

Greg suddenly pipes up...unfortunately not helping.

Greg: John. You're right. I'm madly in love with your wife.

I can hardly breathe. The room starts rocking back and forth..... I feel slightly detached from myself.

Greg turns to me: Elena, you know I love you. You know you love me. Leave him. Move in with me. Live with ME while you make up your mind what to do!

That tips the scale for John. He's lost it. He picks up Greg from the back of his collar and throws him into the living room. Greg slowly picks himself up and John gets in my face.

John: WHILE YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND?! WHAT TO DO?! WHAT THE HELL DOES HE MEAN BY that ELENA?!
Me: John, calm down. I'm sorry. I'm just a little confused. There never was any closure with Greg, and I'd never realized it until recently.
John: So MAKE closure!
I'm crying now, dangit: I can't. 


John lets out a long stream of obscenities that he must've picked up from hardened criminals. I try to back away into the kitchen, nearly knocking over the dining room chair as I pass it. Greg starts walking back into the room.


John: Oh, you BETTER not back away from ME, Elena! Like I'm the bad guy? I'll show you bad guy!

He slaps me around. I see stars. 


John walks around the table and points into the kitchen while yelling at me: GET UPSTAIRS! 


My cheeks sting where he slapped me, and my tears put salt in the wounds. He hit me. He hit me...


Greg: THAT'S IT! 

He stomps over to John and gets in his face. 


Greg: How DARE you slap around this lady?
John: She's no lady.
Greg: And you think you're some BIG MAN going around beating up women?
John: I've whooped your ass once, Greg. I can do it again. Get out!
Greg: Not without Elena. I'm not letting you touch her again!
John: Let me? LET me? She's MY WIFE. I'll do what I damn well please!
Greg: Over my dead body!
John: Have it your way then!


Marie comes down the stairs and starts screaming. Xavier is crying because he hears Marie screaming. I try to tell Marie to calm down and go help Xavier, but I can't seem to get enough air...
Marie tells me later what happened next.


John: Get out, Greg. You've done enough damage.

John looks over at me with a heartbroken expression.

Marie tells me her heart broke watching John cry. She went back upstairs but listened from the bedroom door.

Greg: I told you, John. I don't care how many times you have to beat me up; I'm not leaving without Elena.

John: I TOLD YOU GET OUT!

John yells: You should have GIVEN UP on her once she MARRIED me. You think YOU'RE the only one who loves her?
Greg: You need to CALM DOWN. THIS is why Elena needs to leave you. You're dangerous!
John: I'm only dangerous to YOU. Or to anyone else who tries to break up my marriage!
Greg: You are dangerous to her, to Marie and Xavier. You don't deserve any of them!

About this time I start coming around.

John: NO ONE is taking ANYONE from me! Marie belongs in this family! Xavier is MY SON. Elena is MY WIFE.

I start finally believing Greg. I still can't believe John hit me.


I say a little woozily: Greg, perhaps you better leave for now. Don't worry I'll be okay.

Greg: I don't think this is the best idea. Please don't stay here.
Me: I have to sort this out. Right now you're only making things worse by being here.
Greg looks at me solemnly: You know where I'll be. Please be careful.
John sniffs. Greg glares at him before closing the door.

I'm actually a little more scared without Greg here, but with him being here things were worse. John didn't seem to care that Greg was here when he slapped me around.


John: How could you do this to me? I've never been so humiliated in my life!
Me: John, I'm so sorry. Please... this isn't easy for me.

I go to hug him. Well, this is sickeningly familiar. I'm reminded of the time before when he broke up with me.

John: No, Elena, I just can't.

We are real quiet for a few minutes. John leans against the top of the chair he stands next to. I can tell he's struggling. I want so bad to make him feel better, but he won't let me.

2 comments:

  1. She is going down the wrong path. She wants to make John feel better?? After he hit her???
    grrrrr... It must be a thing with cops since they have such a reputation for hitting their wives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to stereotype,but with John at least, the reasons he became a cop n the reasons he's such a hothead are very closely linked.
      Elena just wants everyone to be okay, but she's learning the hard way that that isn't always possible. John crossed the line.

      Delete