Saturday, August 25, 2012

20: Greg Makes His Move



(originally posted on 10/02/2011)

Saturday

It's Xavier's birthday! John and I get everything set up for the party, which isn't much since I'm mad at him. Basically, we get a cake, and I make hot drinks.


We go ahead and invite Brook. She's trying real hard not to be a party pooper, but she just can't keep from crying most of the time. Janie comes as well, but...I think she's just weird. She doesn't act upset that she's never going to see her dad again.


Well, here we go!
(That's a part of a picture frame cutting into the screenshot. Glowing baby? lol I'll chalk it up to the candles.)


We're all celebrating (yes, I'm in the same dress. I only wore it for a few hours yesterday so I thought it'd be fine), and Brook keeps getting hit on by all the married and unmarried men. The same guy that's giving her flowers right now also tried to give me some too later. I think he's married to my old boss? Anyway, I stopped that real quick. That's the last thing I need while trying to clean up my cheater rep. um...well... I'll worry about later today later today.
Oh! One more thing. John's brother Jonah is dating our maid. I'm glad he's finally seeing someone and that the maid is busy with him and not trying to get at my husband.


 
  He has my black hair and John's green eyes. They look a tad bit violet in this picture, but they're mostly green.


I go play with him with a toy that Brook brought. I'm mostly trying to get my ex-boss's husband off me. A little ways over Janie starts doing her homework??? I guess she's just not that into a toddler birthday party.

After the party Brook comes into some money mysteriously. So, she moves across the street to the house that's up against the river.


I start already teaching Xavier to talk. I mention art, and he starts blabbering away like mad! Kid must really like art.

I get so busy I forget to go to the grocer. ...I call Greg. He's not happy that he has to wait more until tomorrow, but he's happy that Xavier had a good birthday party.


Sunday

Early the next morning, I hear John and Marie in the backyard as I'm working in the garden.

John: Marie, you've got to strike fast while anticipating your opponent's next move..like this.


John: OW!
Marie: I anticipated your move. Too bad you didn't anticipate me anticipating your move.

Marie then goes on to kick John's butt. I guess she's a natural at it. She certainly has the 'discipline' when it comes to sim fu. She's always out working on it when not talking to Andy on the phone or pulling pranks. John comes inside and takes a long, hot bath.


As I get upstairs and take over the bathroom, I hear him playing with Xavier. We're still not really talking. I go make breakfast and eat some. Then, I go back upstairs to tell him that I'm off to the grocery store.

He says fine and that he's teaching Xavier to walk. I feel a pang of regret that I'm not part of that, but I'm still so mad at him. We're gonna have to talk about it sometime, I guess.

As promised, I go over to Greg's house. What am I doing here? This can't lead to something good. Yet, all the same I WANT to be here. Oh! I don't think I can handle this!

Greg: Elena! You're here! Come inside right away.

Um, EW. Greg's kitchen is a disaster.

Me: Greg, how can you stand to live like this?
Greg: Huh? Oh, the dishes. Well, I only do them when it gets REAL bad.

I give him a blank stare.

Greg: What? It's not so bad. The flies stay over here...and I stay over there. (He points to the living room.)

I start cleaning up.

Greg: Elena, stop doing the dishes.
Me: I'm done. (I take a deep breath) There! Isn't this better? You have a great house, Greg. You should take care of it better. For that matter...

...How long has it been since you've shaved? Or cut your hair?

He leans into my hand and kisses my palm. He tries to keep hold of it, but I wiggle it away.

Greg: I just don't feel much like shaving lately..and..well, I thought you liked guys with longer hair so I've been growing it out.
Me: Oh Greg....
Greg: Hold that thought, I've got something for you!

Greg: Ta Da!
Me: Thanks, Greg. yellow.

Isn't yellow the friendship color for roses? What does this mean?

Greg: Just thought you needed a little more sunshine in your life. I heard about the Tate fiasco. That guy was dangerous. I'm glad he's gone.

Me: I REALLY don't want to talk about it.
Greg: Fine, then. Let's talk about something else.

Greg: What's with the aprons lately? You look like you go around cleaning house all day. Doesn't he hire you a maid?
Me: Yes, I was just wearing the apron while working in the garden. I thought I should get more to sell at the market since that's my alibi. He saw me when he was out working on sim fu in the backyard. (I pause) If you really have such a problem with it, I could just leave...

(I think he looks stoned in this picture, but it's the best one I could pick for this part.)
Greg: Whoa now! Sorry, I was sounding like a jerk. I just worry that he's trying to bury the real you and turn you into some housewife or something....not that that would be bad if that's what you wanted, but it's not is it?
Me: No.


Greg: Ugh! He just really gets on my nerves! Trying to muscle around the whole town thinking he's the boss of everything!
Me: Greg...he IS my husband after all.

I didn't come here to have my wardrobe insulted and hear bad things about my husband. I start to go around him to go out the door.

Greg blocks me: Wait wait wait wait wait! Whoa! Where are you going? You're not leaving are you? You just got here!
Me: I'm not going to listen to this.
Greg: I'm sorry. I really am. Argh! This isn't how I wanted this to happen at all. I was hoping we could really talk....about us.
Me: What about us, Greg?

Greg: Okay, I won't beat around the bush about this...I love you. I want you to feel the same. I'm hoping you do? Or, at least, something close?

I close my eyes. This is the part I really want to hear. The butterflies come back.

Greg: Elena?
Me: Mmm?
Greg: Well, I just laid my heart out bare for you to trample all over it.
Me: Why would I do that? I'm just...scared.

Greg: Scared? Why be scared? If this is too much...
Me: Just give me a minute.
Greg: Don't be scared. Just... for now..just let me be yours. I'll take whatever you want to give. I'll wait forever if I have to. Just don't leave me out. I can't stand to be without you. Don't deny that you feel something for me, Elena. I'll prove it to you that you do if I have to.. In fact...

I'm standing here trying to make up my mind what to do. I barely hear all that he says. He takes me by surprise. At first, I resist. He isn't having it. He's very determined to force me to show how much I loved him. My resistance crumbles. Suddenly, I start kissing him back. He holds me so tightly I could barely breathe, but I don't want him to let go.

Greg: Say it.
Me: Say what?
Greg: Admit that you love me.
Me: I.... shouldn't.

He closes his eyes and exhales.

Greg: What have I got to do? I'm going crazy here.

He starts running his hands through my hair in a hypnotic way, and he pulls me close again.

Greg: Things didn't happen the way they were supposed to happen. We should be together. We need to fix it.

My heart screams at me to tell him. At the same time, I imagine myself standing on a high precipice about to plunge down into the unknown.

Me: Curse it all to hell! You know I love you, Greg. I always have. I always will, and there's NOTHING you can do about it!

He pulls me back in surprise with a look of absolute joy on his face. Then, he kisses my forehead and whisperes in my ear.

Greg: I love you, too. And..I'm tired of standing in the kitchen.

Me: Greg! What are you doing?

But he doesn't answer... He just carries me into his bedroom.

Greg: Marry me, Elena. Get a divorce, and marry me.
Me: Greg...

I pause, and the pause gets longer. His eyebrows raise.

Greg: Where's the rest of that? The correct answer would be, "Greg..yes, of course I'll marry you. How silly of me to not have done this sooner."

I laugh then get a little more serious.

Me: Greg.. (he nearly made me laugh again as his eyebrows rose) just... give me time. I don't know what I'm going to do now.

He just growls.

The butterflies have taken up permanent residence inside me. My heart screams at me again... mad at me. I swear, it's like my brain and my heart are locked in a death match. John? Greg? John? Greg? I thought I'd already made this decision. I'm an idiot, a complete and utter idiot. And now, it's worse because I don't know what to do.

Greg: Elena, what AM I going to do with you?
Me: Greg, be serious.
Greg: I am. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to kidnap you away from him. You admit that you love me, what else is there to do? You need to leave him. Be with me. Bring Marie and Xavier, of course. We'll get a new house. A new life. Give the gossip mongers something to gossip about.

My heart weeps.

Me: I have to go.
Greg: No you don't.
Me: I have to.
Greg: Stay.
I cry: I can't. Not this time. I have to do this right.

Greg sighs.

Greg: Don't you ever get tired of hearing this because I'll never get tired of telling you. I love you.


I kiss him, for probably longer than I had time for. It's already WAY past time for me to be at home.


I turn to go, my heart aching.

Greg: I'm not waiting forever anymore, Elena. I'll bash in the door to that house if I have to and get you out.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Elena. We leave our hearts when we have to go back to the known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's certainly not gonna have an easy go of it.

      Delete