Tuesday, October 9, 2012

117: Beating Around the Bush (Marie)



Marie



     Last night, after Cristina showed up, she came and sat at the table with us. I'd watched as she'd animatedly talked with Dawson like I wasn't even there. She just further proved why I can't stand her. What really got on my nerves, however, wasn't how Cristina acted but how Dawson acted. He acted like he was getting a breath of fresh air after being stuffed in a locker for months. I can't help but wonder what this means for us. After all he put himself through to convince me to go steady with him, it looks like he's tossing that out the window to be with her again. I hate her.

     So, it's the next morning, and I'm at Dawson's new house. (it's sims--he bought the house that quick :P) I want to get how he feels out in the open before we go any farther. How can he possibly be thinking of an extended future with us like he mentioned while we went house hunting yesterday to only a few hours later looking thrilled to see his ex? I am not about to play games with him. He owes me more than that.
     I knock on the door, and he answers and looks surprised to see me. For a moment, I wonder if she's here. She's not.
     "Hey, Marie! Come in! I didn't expect to see you." he says while pulling me into the house. 
     I don't know what to make of the way he's acting. All of a sudden, he's back to the old Dawson, not the Dawson he was last night. So, he's only going to have his eyes light up for me when it's just me? 
     At least she's not here.
     He looks like he's reading my expression as he says, "Uh oh. What is it?" He sounds worried.
     I'd sat up last night debating how I was going to do this, how I was going to broach the Cristina subject. If she was just going to be here for a little while, then that would be okay. I could live with that for a little while. But no, she's back to stay after visiting with her aunt in Riverview. From the little I listened to I'd gathered she'd not wanted to stay there any more once her cousin moved away. I got so bored listening to her story about her cousin's fiance sleeping with her best friend that I tuned her out and just stared at Dawson's face as he was oblivious to me.
     "Um.." I begin lamely. "I wanted to talk to you."
     "Is something wrong?"
     I expel a huff and look him in the eyes as I say, "Yes."

     He really looks worried now. Ugh, the idiot doesn't even know?
     "What?" he asks, looking like he's preparing himself for anything.
     "It's about last night."
     Understanding suddenly comes into his expression as he says, "Oh. Cristina?"
     "Yes." I say with a small sigh.
     "I'm sorry, Marie. I totally excluded you. It didn't occur to me until last night after I dropped you off at your house." My mom's house, you mean. "I thought about calling you to apologize, but then I wondered that maybe you didn't even notice." Oh, I noticed alright.
     
     "So, what does this mean now, Dawson? Are you wanting to get back with her now that she's back?" I decided to ask outright. I don't want to piss around with all this.
      "Huh? No! Why would I want to break up with you? Are you saying you want to break up?"
     I groan in exasperation. "I don't want to play second fiddle. If you want to be with her, then I don't want to stand in your way."

     "Where is all this coming from?" he asks.
     He just doesn't get it, does he? Maybe Armand is right. Damn you, Armand.
     "I just ... don't want to get in the way." I reiterate.
     "Marie? Are you crazy? She and I broke up." You didn't see what I saw. "Stop this trying to be noble bullshit."
     "It's not noble bullshit."
     He looks aggravated now as he asks, "Where is all this coming from anyway? Answer me that, please."
      I let out another huff before I answer, "Your face just lit up last night when you saw her. Then, yes, you all but ignored me. So, what was I supposed to think?"

     I think he finally gets it. He sighs with relief as he pulls me to him and says, "Aw, Marie. No, I don't want to get back together with her. After everything I did to be with you?" He squeezes me tighter for a minute.

     "Okay." I whisper and run my fingers through his hair. I still can't help but feel insecure about the whole thing. She's not exactly going to just go away, and the only reason they broke up is because she was moving.
     His hands move up and down my back in a comforting way. 
     I blame Armand for my insecurities. He planted this idea of Dawson being my Greg and cheating on me in the future into my head.
     Dawson's hands start applying more and more pressure on my back and start gripping my clothes a little as they move up and down my back repeatedly. I can feel his breath on my neck, then his lips. Whoa. That didn't take long.

     He travels up my neck and finds his way to my lips. I can feel that he's trying to reassure me in the kiss, and I decide to let him. I need this.
     He starts backing up towards the staircase, taking me with him. In a quandary now, he obviously wants to go up the stairs, but he also doesn't want to stop kissing me. So, I hop up and wrap my legs around his waist. He groans in satisfaction and happily carries me to the second floor. Once up there, we almost have a competition to see who can remove the other's clothing the fastest. I think I win. He's wearing three layers, and I'm only wearing two so even though we finished at the same time, I win.

   
    
     I don't want to go into detail, but what he wants doesn't happen. I ask him to stop. He gets a little mad but tries to hide it, and I leave.
     I feel terrible, sure he's going to break up with me after all. However, later he calls me and apologizes for getting mad.

     Still, after that, he doesn't call me again for days.

     I'm standing outside in the backyard when I hear a familiar voice behind me. "Hey, Marie!"
     I turn around and see a mildly-familiar face. Just the face. Not much else looks familiar. Well, almost familiar...but I can't place the familiarity.
     He walks along the wall and walks in the back gate while I continue to stare at him and try to figure out who he is.
     "Why are you looking at me like you don't know who I am?" he asks. Then I recognize the voice.
      "Andy?" I ask, incredulous. Now I get why he's vaguely familiar. He's cut his hair and styled it kinda like he did in high school. I'd just forgotten. Plus, he grew the 'stache out to a goatee.
     "Yeah?"
     I shake my head a little. "Sorry. You threw me for a loop there. Too many changes."
     He smiles, showing his teeth, and says, "Oh." He chuckles for a second before he continues, "Sorry. Yeah, I got sick of the longer hair and thought I'd just go back to this. Plus, there was a loose, live wire at work and my hair being in my face and everywhere almost caught it."
   
     "Insta-perm." I laugh, thinking what might've happened if his hair had touched the wire.
     He laughs as well, almost sounding like he just wants to be polite. Something is on his mind.
     "What's up?" I ask, wondering if he's going to bullshit me or really tell me what's bothering him.
     He stands here and acts like he's undecided how he should answer that. I raise my eyebrows as he rocks his weight from one foot to the other. I was planning on getting on my bicycle and going for a quick ride before Ben got home, but I don't have to do that if he needs to talk to me about something -- as long as it's not dating. I don't think it is since we've come to an understanding: I'm dating his brother; he broke my heart. Still, he has this pained look on his face.
     "Um, Andy?" I ask, prodding him along.
     He runs his hand down his face and looks at the ground. Then he winces. "Nevermind. I shouldn't have come over here." he says cryptically and walks back through the gate, pissing me off instantly.
     I turn my head and almost yell at him as I say, "Well, that was rude! You came over here to tell me something, so spill! You can't leave me hanging like this." I start to stomp after him, but he stops and turns back around to walk back through the gate.
     "Well, I don't know if you want to hear it." he says.
     "You brought it up."
     "I shouldn't have."
     "But you did."

    "Yes, I realize that, but I don't want to tell you anymore. It's not any of my business, and I shouldn't have thought I had a right coming over here and telling you anything about it." he says.
     "Andy, I'm about to punch you if you don't tell me because now I'm infinitely curious."
     "Calm down, geez Marie! I'm trying to figure out how to tell you, alright?"
     I let out a huff.
     "I take it you know Cristina's in town." he says all of a sudden.
     Uh oh. "Does this have something to do with her?" I say "her" with my hatred visibly showing.
      "Marie, calm down."
     "Calm down? I am calm. Are you saying I should be upset?"
     He sighs and places his forehead on his fingertips. "Mom fixed dinner the other night, and he brought her."
     "How come I didn't hear about your mom fixing a family get-together?" I ask quickly. "Oh. Oh my god, it's starting. Oh no the hell he doesn't!" I get out my cell phone and call him. He doesn't answer. I shouldn't really be suspicious about that. He frequently forgets his phone. Still, ...
     "I saw him leave the house from my bedroom window with her in tow. At dinner they'd mentioned heading out to the island to do some excavating."
     "Let's go then. You're coming with me to keep me from killing them both." I start for the gate.
     He grabs my arm to stop me. "Marie, wait."
     "Oh, uh uh." I snap back at him. "I'm spying on them to see what this is all about."
     I feel pathetic. My boyfriend might be cheating on me. Just like Armand said. Just like I suspected he would when I saw his expression the other night. I feel something inside of me die.
     Andy sighs resolutely and follows me down the river to an awaiting rowboat.
     When we land on the island, I'm glad it's not in view of the two of them since, other than the ruins, the island is pretty open. I can hear their voices inside the ruins.
     "And Dawson," Cristina says, "do you remember when we..." Her voice gets too quiet for me to hear. The two of them laugh. I creep closer to hear better.
     As I make my way around the ruins trying to find their exact location, Andy holds me back a second to whisper, "Marie, I'm sorry. This is a bad idea. I'd only wanted to give you a heads up. I didn't mean for you to go pick a fight."
      I whisper back, "I'm not picking a fight; I'm spying." I decide to give him a wicked grin back, but inside I'm collapsing.
      "Aw, c'mon, Dawson. Don't you remember how it was between us? We can have that again." Cristina says and I want to claw her innocent, big, blue eyes out.
      "That's the thing though, Cristina. Like I told you -- We broke up on good terms and yes, I still have some feelings for you, but I'm with Marie, and I love her." I hear Dawson say and my heart soars.
      They're in the courtyard of the old ruins, I figure out. I creep around to peer around the wall, silent as a mouse. Andy quietly follows behind me.

     I find it nearly impossible to keep quiet with the scene that awaits me once I peep around the edge. Cristina has worked her way between his legs. He looks like he's trying to back away from her, but she keeps following him. Pretty soon he's going to run out of grass. Why isn't he just shoving her away from him?
     Her voice is quiet, but I can hear it as she says, "But you love me too, don't you? More that her, am I right?"
     "Cristina..." Dawson says in warning.
     "I came back here on my own for you, Dawson. I want you back, and I've decided not to beat around the bush about it."  
     That's for damn sure. I think as I can't find my voice and my heart plunges into my stomach. I wait and see what he's going to do. Andy reaches out and grabs my arm to pull me back a little. I twist his to get free. I want to see!
     "I can't." Dawson almost whines.
     "She's not satisfying you, is she? Poor baby." she croons.
     Dawson stops backing up and I watch her hand move between them.  
     I think I'm going to be sick.
     He groans.

     Then he lays back and takes her with him, kissing her passionately. I can feel the victory coming off of her in waves even from where I stand. Taking a bullet wound to the chest, I'm sure, would hurt less than this. I can't stand it anymore, and I turn around to hide my crying in my hands. I hear the two of them roll over as Andy pulls on my arm again.

     Andy whispers to me, "Let's get out of here. You don't need to see this."
     But isn't this why you brought me here? So I could see what a dick your brother is? You're not much better, by the way. You brought me out here on purpose. I dry my eyes as I hear Dawson groan and Cristina giggle.
      "Marie?" Andy asks quietly.
     My voice is regular volume as I respond. "No, I'm going to take care of this first."
     I hear a set of gasps from inside the courtyard.

     Dawson jumps up and bounds over to us. While standing in front of me he looks over at his brother to say sarcastically, "Nice." Cristina stands up as I watch how she reacts to the scene in front of her. Dawson continues, "Satisfied, brother? You'll do anything to break us up, won't you?"
     Andy answers him evenly, "I wasn't the one between my ex-girlfriend's legs."
     I pipe up finally, "Good point, Andy. What the fuck is going on, Dawson!?" I nearly yell. "So all that you said the other day was a lie?" Cristina's midriff showing is really getting on my nerves.

     "No, it wasn't, honest!" Dawson lamely tries to apologize. "Oh god, Marie. I'm sorry! Of all moments for you to catch! I lost my head."
     I refuse to fall for it, and I say, "Looks like you were getting head, not losing it."
     Andy covers his mouth to hide his laugh, but Cristina actually giggles. I see red.

     I push Dawson out of the way and walk into the tiny courtyard to confront the bitch. "I don't know what you find so damn funny, slut!"
     I'm furious as she responds, "You. You really think you're something special, don't you? You have this false idea that you're some belle of the ball with these poor brothers when really you're not worth shit. You're a cock tease and -"

     Without even thinking, I reach up and grab a fistful of her hair. That braid actually makes it very convenient to hold onto as I pull her down and say, "I'd rather be a cock tease than a ho like you!"
     "Ow!" she screams like an idiot.
     Speaking of idiot, Dawson just stands there in mute shock, not doing a thing. After a few seconds of me trying to pull her hair out by the roots, Andy reaches in and tries to pull me away from her. I'm ready to finish the job I started at prom. Apparently, I didn't beat enough sense into her then.
     "Marie, let her go!" Andy yells after I start jerking her back and forth, wondering if her eyes will still look sweet and innocent once they're both black. "C'mon, Marie. She's not worth the trouble!" Andy again tries to calm me down. It's not working. However, he is stronger than me, and he succeeds in pulling me back. At first, I take the bitch with me, but she surprises me by breaking my hold. I'm happy to note that I did take a ton of hair with me. I look up to see a small bald spot and grin. Andy lets me go, and it's my turn to laugh at the hair in my hand.

     She lets out a high-pitched shriek, "You bitch!" Then she slaps me across the face.
     Oh no, I did not just get pulled off her to be slapped around...

      We kick up dust as I jump her. She messed with the wrong 'cock tease' today.
      Dawson finally wakes up from his dazed stupor and starts yelling at us to stop. Andy acts like he wishes he could find an opening to break up the fight. At one point, he tries and I kick him away, finally having enough brainwaves to remember my simfu training. I could kill her. I could.
     The Creek brothers rush in at the same time. I take that moment to take a swing at Dawson, catching him cleanly in the jaw. Ow, I think as I think I may have broken a finger on his jaw. That is one hard head. I would've done more except Andy wraps his arms around me, and by the time I break his hold, Dawson has pulled Cristina back.
     "Eat shit, Dawson." I say and march out of the ruins.
     I'm done. I'm done with all of them. Dawson, Andy, even Armand. They can all rot in hell.
    "Marie, wait!" I hear Andy call behind me as I walk around the outside of the ruins. I can hear Cristina crying loudly and pathetically, probably in Dawson's arms.
     I turn around to glare at Andy and ask, "Why did you do this? Why bring me here? Are you happy now?!!"
     He's breathing heavily as he stands with his hands on his hips, wordlessly looking at me. "No, of course I'm not happy, but I knew something was up. I hadn't expected that though. I just wanted to alert you to what was going on... what I saw at dinner."
     I walk up to him and look him in the eye as I chew him out, "Well, lucky you that you were proven right so effectively! How nice that you can prove your brother is a dick! They can have each other!" I know they can hear me as I yell.
     "I didn't want to be proven right like that! You're acting like I had some ulterior motive! This is why I didn't want to tell you after I'd entered your backyard." Mom's backyard.
      "Don't stand there and try to tell me you're not just a little happy with this! Aren't you? I mean, I just broke up with your brother. That's what you wanted, isn't it? Isn't it?!" I yell and start hitting his chest.
      "I didn't want this!" he yells back at me and starts trying to block me hitting him.
     He's lucky I'm not putting everything I have into it. He's lucky I'm emotionally distraught. Dad would be disappointed that I couldn't keep my cool and just get the job done without breaking down.
      "Stop it, Marie!" he yells and gets hold of my wrists before he winces as I twist out of them, twisting his arms until he lets go. "Quit it." he growls and holds my shoulders to look me in the eye.

      I don't know what happens, but I stop attacking him and collapse into my hands. I let him hold me and attempt to comfort me as I sob. I just lost my best friend.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do NOT click the "newer post" at the bottom because it won't take you to chapter 118. Click here to go to 118: Leaving the Nest. You can also access it from the chapters tab.

4 comments:

  1. And that is the lesson. Never mix romance with your best friend. It never ends well. Poor Marie. I rather hope she actually does say good riddance to that little crew of messed up men. I am sure there is a morally proper and romantically sweet young man out there for her, and it isn't Armand or Dawson or Andy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say I'm a little sad. For the longest time, I'd made plans with him and Marie and her getting a solid foundation with SOMEone in her life. But, the more and more I actually started making it play out, the more and more I realized it wouldn't work. Then I got another plan that will become obvious later.

      She needs to drop them like three sacks of rotten potatoes. Yes, surely there's someone out there somewhere. She just has to find him.

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree, Marie is just too good for the whole lot. I just wished I could have joined her and beat the snot out of Cristina.

    On a side note, when a story can stir up this many feelings, it is very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved writing the fight. I loved making that 'grab the hair' pose. She had it coming!

      *blushing* Aw, thanks. I'm glad you got into it and thanks for commenting!

      Delete