Friday, October 26, 2012

58: The Wolf and The Lamb



(originally posted 02/27/2012)

Laurie



First night in a new bar, in a new town.

I've been meaning to move here for a few years now. I have an indirect history here that leaves me a few loose ends that need tying up. First, however, I need to be sure on a few key points from my past before I act.

To keep things safe for me, I decided to change my name to Lawrence Rock. I don't need my old connections screwing things up for me before I have a chance to get done what needs doing. My first name used to be Trent, but I think Lawrence is a good, dignified name. Rock I stole from the bar.

I decided to live a little out of town in case I need to escape for some reason. It helps to have my home base out of harm's way. Moving was no big deal. As a kid, my parents would move us from one place to another frequently to avoid debt collectors, social workers, the law, etc. Yes, my parents were terrible. However, I do not choose to live my life blaming them for my problems like so many others have chosen to do. My past is in the past. However, there is one bit about my past that I simply cannot let slide which brings me to this sleepy little town. I imagine myself a prowling wolf, sniffing out the truth.


After a few nights of the bar opening, I notice a woman walk in with amazing eyes. She's beautiful in a fake sort of way. Why do some women feel like they can only be beautiful if they are wearing a ton of makeup? That irritates me. Is she hiding something behind all that makeup?

I introduce myself and immediately she takes my new name and shortens it to Laurie. She introduces herself. Elena is a somewhat unusual name. At first I'd thought that the man she was talking to before the bar emptied called her Alicia. How fortunate that I'm looking for an "Elena". She fits the type too. I don't recall the red-head in the tale I heard.


The drink I mixed her has the desired effect of loosening her tongue, but I'm unprepared for the story I hear. I chatted online with this woman earlier today! Small world! I pretend like this is the first time I've ever heard this tale. I can't get over the bizarre coincidence that I have previously talked to her. For now, I decide not to clue her in to that to save us both the embarrassment and-- I could use this to my advantage.

The story she tells me must have happened after the incident I'm trying to clear up. That, or she's deliberately leaving that part out. Curious.


I'm more entertained than I thought I would be by this woman's story. This also matches what I've heard about her. She leads men on... with dire consequences sometimes. Also, how fortunate that she's like a lost little lamb asking for guidance. Yes, I'll 'guide' you.


Much to my delight, the next night she returns -- with another man. This must be the "John" in the story. Yes. John is a common name, but this one is definitely the one I'm looking for. I'll have to be sure to keep this one under close watch. If he's the man I heard about, he's dangerous.

Elena notices me watching her. This, predictably, irritates John. Watching the pair of them makes me almost livid with the memory of the tale I heard.


She comes by and uses that annoying nickname again. She wants something with lemons? I decide to keep it simple. Never a good idea to **** off a cop. And, really, John. You're so obvious. I can spot a cop a dozen miles away... that's one useful thing I learned from my parents.

Thinking of my parents makes me remember my older brother. Before he was taken from us. He'd really been a step-son of my father's from a previous marriage. So, in essence, my step-brother. That didn't matter to 7-year-old me, however. Mom and Dad were always so busy "making money" that it was up to my brother to take care of me. Then, when he was 12, his maternal grandmother had the courts give him to her. That morning so many years ago was the last time I ever saw him.


I've built up my reputation and wealth with one goal in mind: escape my parents and start out on my own to find my brother. Imagine how I felt when I come to find out that my goal had been thwarted by the pair standing right in front of me.


It was so easy convincing this woman to start a business with me. Also, my desired location is right next door to the man I need to keep an eye on.

\
She comes by the next day to confirm the start of our business. I'm going to have to be very careful I don't fall into the same trap that other men have been prey to. A woman aught not to have eyes like that.

The weeks pass and I find my online alter ego trying to convince her to leave both men she's dating. She's very stubborn, which, unfortunately, makes me like her even more.

When I'm not chatting with her online, I try to merely be her friend. Yet, I still occasionally catch myself speaking negatively about her guys. I find myself blaming her less and less about the problem I've come to resolve, and I start blaming only John. Still, this woman is a key to the knot I must unravel. How did it happen exactly? I need to make sure I place blame where it belongs, especially if it means I can avoid hurting Elena. That would be an unfortunate shame.


The night our bar opens, she looks so beautiful that I start turning into the jealous type once she tells me that the only one she's dating is John. Thankfully, she doesn't catch on to my jealousy of him. I hate him! I no longer have my brother because of him!

I realize now that I HAVE fallen for her. This makes me angry. No one should affect me this way. I long ago closed myself off to all of that. I have a mission to accomplish, and I don't have time for this nonsense!

Yet, I always find myself thinking about her when I try to make myself go to sleep -- at that moment when I finally relax.

I gathered plenty of information on the pair of them over the past weeks. It looks like Elena did not want to be involved in what happened. Can I forgive her that? Want to or not, she WAS part of it. Ugh! I've let my personal feelings get in the way!


At any rate, I cannot stand playing around anymore. I tell her about my online persona. Amazingly, she doesn't get mad about it!

She forgave me so quickly. How did she do that? Can I do the same? Um.... I could try not be as harsh with her. Yes, I know exactly what must be done now.


This little lamb needs to be first punished, then protected by this wolf. She'll learn what happened and beg forgiveness. I'll give it to her, for a price.



(Warning! clicking 'newer post' sends you to chapter 118! either scroll real fast through it or use the chapters tab to avoid any spoilers.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment