Friday, October 19, 2012

51: Don't Get Personal - Just Business



(originally posted 02/15/2012)


Laurie is apparently done arranging the glasses and proceeds to clean things that don't really need cleaning in my opinion. He looks like he's in a bad mood.


Me: Hey, Lawrence. What's got you in such a mood?
Lawrence: Mood? What mood? I'm not in a mood.
Me: O...kay?
Lawrence: Can I get you something or are you going to just sit there and try to figure out what mood I'm in?


Me: Aw, calm down, Laurie.
Lawrence: Elena, you did so good a second ago calling me Lawrence. Why do you insist on calling me Laurie?
I smile: Because you don't strike me as a Lawrence. Lawrence is such a serious name.
Lawrence: I don't strike you as a serious type of person?


I shake my head: Nope.
He does a silent sort of laugh/snort: And why is that?
Me: The way you mix your drinks. I can tell you really have fun with it. Sometimes you actually let out a real smile.
He smiles: A "real" smile?
Me: Yeah. I've wondered about you. What's happened to you to make you so cynical?


Oh, maybe his eyes aren't quite blue. More of a bluish gray. Still, they have this amazing ability to pierce right through me. I feel nervous.

Laurie stands there for a second, then throws the towel he has in his hand on the bar before putting his hands on his hips.

Laurie: So, I'm not serious because I smile when I mix drinks yet you think I'm cynical at the same time.
Me: Ummm... yes.
Laurie's eyebrow goes up: Care to explain?

Wow he looks mad. But I can't actually tell for sure. Mad, but... maybe not mad at me per se.

Me: Well, when you mix drinks you look like you're really enjoying yourself. It's like at that moment you're in your own little world, but then when it comes time to serve the drink the cynical look is back on your face. People don't get cynical for no reason. You're not serious because I'm guessing you don't take life too seriously. Perhaps for the same reason you're cynical?


Me: Of course, I'm just guessing here.
Laurie blinks a few times with an amazed and surprised expression: I never would've guessed you'd be so good at reading people.
I smile: So I'm right?
He gets a serious expression now: Don't get ahead of yourself.
Me: Well now THAT'S a serious expression.
He snorts: I am a VERY serious person, but yes, mixing the drinks brings me back to a happier time in my life.
Me: And then that image is shattered once the drink is served.
Laurie: Yes.
Me: And to have that happen over and over and over again... being reminded of whatever it is that makes you so cynical. What happened?
Laurie: You're very good at probing, aren't you? Have you ever considered tending a bar yourself?


I'm taken aback by his unexpected comment. He didn't answer my question.

Me: I'm a manager at _____.(insert random business name here)
Laurie: Hm. Maybe you should BUY a bar and manage that. You could work the bar for the fun of it.
Me: And be in competition with your boss?
Laurie smiles: I AM the boss of this place.
Me: Oh.... In competition with YOU then? This town isn't that big.
Laurie: Tell ya what, Elena. You SHOULD start up a bar... make it something a little different. One thing I wish this bar had is a place for a band to play, but it's too small. It's just a remodeled house anyway, you know. Oh yeah, that café at the square is for sale. I could help you out if you want, maybe we could be partners?

All of that just because I could figure him out? I sit there and imagine myself owning a bar. Oh, I'd definitely have to have bands play. Wow, that's alot of work involved, but he said he'd help... if we went in together as partners.

Laurie continues: I already want to sell this place. If I'd have known that café in the square would go up for sale so soon I would've waited and bought it. Now I can't afford to buy both of them. Maybe you could be the answer to my problem.

I look at him as a truly warm smile slowly spreads across his face. Now THAT's a nice smile. Hm, I don't want to jump into anything too quickly though.

Me: I'll think about it and get back to you on that.
Laurie: No problem. Just let me know before the place sells.

I get up and leave the bar to head for home.


When I get home I see Duchess has claimed one of the armchairs for her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment