Thursday, October 25, 2012

57: On The Rocks Opens Up


(originally posted 02/26/2012)

The Following Weekend


(I hate that I forgot to design the ceiling. At any rate, I'm going to have to do the entire thing over thanks to the lovely error code 12 cropping up. I found the .bad files and deleted them, so hopefully I won't have that again. I lost a whole day of playing's work. Pretty much the last 'save as' game was when Greg stayed the night... probably just before then. arg.)

Tonight's the pub's grand opening! Laurie and I decided to keep the old bar's name, On The Rocks. It's a great name for a bar.


People start to show up, just a curious few. I get on the phone and call everyone I know and get most of them to come check the place out. Of course, I do NOT call Greg or Sylvia who, by the way, are now living together.


Me: Hey, Laurie! Nice threads!
Laurie chuckles: Looking good yourself, Elena. (He looks around.) So far, so good. At least all those blasted lights are working like they're supposed to.


I tease: I'm sure everything is fine. You're such a worrier.
Laurie: So, speaking of worrying, which guy do you have showing up tonight? I hope we don't have a fight break out on our first night open.

I hadn't told him about the fiasco with Greg. He doesn't live in town so I guess he hasn't heard. It was only a few days ago anyway.

I also haven't told John. It's possible he knows, even if Eric kept his promise and didn't tell him. I guarantee Eric told as many people as he could. The guy couldn't keep his mouth shut if his life depended on it. I don't know if he even knows he does it. I guess he just loves having something to talk about to people.


Me: Remember the other day when I left early with a sour look on my face?
Laurie: Do I get to hear why now?
Me: Yes. I caught Greg and Sylvia in the park. He'd not told me they were seeing each other. It was a shock. So, I told him I don't want to see him again. So... that made one thing easier. John is coming tonight. If he can get off work for it.


(Okay, now I'm upset at myself that I didn't work on the outside and get rid of those tables... oh well.)

Laurie scowls for a moment: You know, I just don't trust that John either.
I blink a few times in surprise: What? Why?
Laurie: I don't like his shifty eyes. He's always watching me when I'm around. Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe not.
I look at him with a confused expression: I've not noticed anything.
Laurie: Maybe it's just my imagination, but I still don't trust him. (He's quiet for a second.) How did he act when the two of you divorced?
I look down for a second: He was terrible. But I don't want to think about that.
Laurie sighs: You see? There you go again. Maybe you SHOULD think about it. You need to know what you're getting into. You've seen him at his worst and you call it "terrible". Is that what you want again?


I'm quick to answer: But he's not like that anymore! He went to the court-ordered therapy...
Laurie mutters under his breath: court-ordered therapy...
I glare for a second: and now he's a much better person. AND I've forgiven him.
Laurie stands there and reads my face: It was bad enough for the COURT to order him into therapy?
I look down again and fidget: It's none of your business, Laurie.


He looks a little mad: You're right. It's none of my business.
I sigh.
Laurie: BUT now that we're friends, we're friends right?
Me: Yes...
Laurie: Now that we're friends I have to tell you I don't like him. I don't like how he looks at me like he's thinking I'm going to steal you away or something. He's overprotective and possessive and everyone who so much as looks at you too long he's out to get them.


I'm shocked: Laurie!
Laurie: I'm just telling you what I think. You don't have to do what I say...
I interrupt: No, I don't. I trust John. We've been through alot together. You just don't understand.
Laurie looks at me blankly for a moment: I hope I'm wrong then. Maybe I just don't understand, like you say. (He looks behind me.) Besides, it's high time I got that bar going.

He walks over to the bar. I stand there for a moment looking out the window at the fountain in the middle of the square. Who does Laurie think he is? My big brother?


I turn around and see Laurie at his best. He's so cute when he's in his element. I walk over and sit at the bar.


Me: I'm sorry you're upset at me, Laurie. I understand you're just looking out for me, but you need to understand you don't have to.
Laurie: Think nothing of it. I'm sorry I spoke so much of my mind.


I suggest Laurie fill the counter with sample drinks, he agrees. I start to wonder where John is.

(He's outside, you can see him through the window. BTW, I LOVE what he's wearing... all on his own. The game puts him in some strange outfits because of his undercover agent work stuff, but this time it delivered!)


Then I see him walk in. He sees me and a slow smile spreads across his face that takes my breath away for a moment. My eyes travel over him from head to toe. For once, he looks the part of a secret agent. That suit looks marvelous on him. I have the sudden urge to undo his bowtie and shirt buttons so I can rake my nails across his chest. Knowing how good he looks under that suit doesn't help stifle that urge either. Neither does the fact that he looks like he's undressing me with his eyes as well. Not so gentlemanly thoughts tonight, huh, John?


John: So sorry I'm late, Elena.
Me: No worries. I had a few things I needed to do anyway. (I smile slightly.) I'm glad you're here. And... we match. (I chuckle now.) How did you know I was going to wear red?


John smiles again: I'd hoped you'd wear that dress. You look lovely. Like the rarest flower that waits and blooms after all the other blossoms have had their turn. That way she can stand out all on her own so that everyone will notice her and her alone.
Uh, wow. I can't seem to figure out how to respond to his surprising compliment, so I feel myself blushing as I look at the floor to hide from the intensity in his eyes.
John: How is it that you're more beautiful every time I see you?


Me: John... Quit it. You know I don't know how to respond to stuff like that.
John chuckles: I'm only speaking the truth.
I look around the room, trying to find a way to change the subject.


John does it for me: I heard about you and Greg.
Figures. I glance at his face, then look away again.
John: It's a shame, for your sake, that it had to end like that. You two are over, right?
Me: Yes. (I pause.) So, did Eric tell you?
I look at John to see a surprised expression: Uh, no. I heard about it at work. Apparently I missed quite a fight.
I deflate slightly from my increasing anger: Oh.


Me: How could he do that to me? I mean, I wasn't opposed to him dating others, but he should have told me, right?
John: I guess so, but why?
Me: That he was out with HER? Then the way he looked so guilty -- I knew something was up. Sylvia had thought that he and I were already through.
John: Poor Sylvia then.
Me: Why does everyone keep saying that?!
John chuckles again: I meant not only was she deceived every bit as you, but she got her butt whooped as well. (Then John suddenly wraps his arms around my waist and speaks low in my ear.) And I'm so proud you stood up for yourself and kicked her butt.
I giggle now: Well, I had a good teacher.
John pulls back a second and winks at me: Of course you did! (He turns around and looks at the dance floor behind him.) C'mon. Let's work off some steam.
I look around worriedly: But, I'm supposed to be working...
John chuckles once more while getting hold of both my hands and slowly pulling me to the dance floor: It looks like Lawrence has things well under control.


So we dance for a while, and John looks like he's on cloud nine. There's almost a childlike glee in his eyes, but I also sense he feels somewhat guilty about looking so happy. Of course he's happy Greg and I broke it off. I wonder when he's going to...

John interrupts my thoughts: What about us, Elena? What about us now that Greg is out of the picture?
I guess now.
Me: I'm... I'm not sure.

Yes, earlier this afternoon I was sure that I didn't want a steady relationship with anyone, but the way the other women in the bar are staring at John in this tux... That makes me want to snatch him away from their clutches before he even notices them. Which, he's not noticing them. I smile at the thought that John only has eyes for me.

John: You're not sure?


John lets out a huge sigh: I'm sure. Sure enough to know that I want you. In every way. It's all I can do not to propose right now.
My eyes get huge: What?
John continues: The only thing that's keeping me from doing so is that I don't know how you feel.


John: But I know how I feel. Tell me what you're feeling right now.
Me: Shock.
John laughs merrily.
Me: Well, I mean shock about the whole you wanting to propose right now thing.
John looks down at me sheepishly: Yeah, that sort of slipped out. But tell me what you're not sure about exactly.


His hand glides down my arm to entwine his fingers with mine.

Me: I'm not sure I should commit to you since I'm still hurting over Greg. But don't get me wrong... I know I love you (I feel his hand tighten in mine.), but I don't know if I can be sure I'm not going to hurt you again.


John: Elena, the very fact that you don't want to hurt me speaks volumes. I think you CAN commit. You're not the same woman you were.
I look at him worriedly.
John: But, if you're not sure, then you're not sure. I'm not going to give up. Ever.

The way he said that with such sincerity and confident power makes me go weak in the knees. He stands stock still as the lights that Laurie painstakingly installed dance around us. I don't notice the lights, however, just the look of my whole future with him staring back at me through his eyes. I like it. I want it. But I also don't want to ruin it by moving too fast. What if I'm not really over Greg? What if he comes crawling back and, like an idiot, I listen to him? I'm not positive that I'll be able to resist him. I haven't in the past. John is just too good a person to hurt... again.

John breaks our silence: Elena, will you at least only date me for a while?
Sounds to me like going steady.


Me: Well, I'm not dating anyone else right now anyway.
John: But, you're not guaranteeing you won't, are you?
Me: I don't want to date anyone else.
John: Then why don't we (He mutters 'sounds like high school' under his breath) go steady?


I stand there quietly. The silence stretches.

John: Okay. You don't have to decide now. It just sounds logical to me.
Me: I don't trust myself.
John smiles slightly and brings my hand to his lips: Then you need to learn to.

We spend the rest of the evening dancing slowly to some internal music, ignoring the actual music playing through the speakers. I can hear his heart beating as I lay my head on his chest. He would sigh occasionally and kiss the top of my head.


I feel a little silly as I walk John home. He kisses me lightly on the lips. I wanted more of a kiss than that, but he pulls back with a smile on his face and tells me good night.


As I head towards home I hear Laurie call out to me.

Me: Yeah? You got everything locked up, right?
Laurie: Yes.
Me: Sorry I wasn't much help tonight. You know I'll be in tomorrow to do the books for tonight.
Laurie: No problem, really. That part is what I hate so I'll gladly run things at night if you don't want to or... get busy.
I wonder if he can see in the semi-darkness that I'm blushing?


Me: Again, I'm sorry.
Laurie: Don't worry about it! I figured something like that was going to happen anyway. So, did he ask for a committed relationship? You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.
Me: No, no big deal, and yes, he did. I told him not yet.


Laurie sighs: Good.
Me: Huh? You really don't like him, do you?
Laurie: No, I don't. Not from the start. Not from before the start even.
Me: Before the start?
Laurie fidgets, which I find strange since he doesn't usually: Yes. Um... I have a confession to make, Elena.
Me: What?


Laurie actually looks embarrassed: I use the name "On The Rocks" for more than just a bar name.
!!!!!!!
Laurie: I'm the one you've been chatting with.
Shock courses through me: You...
Laurie jumps in: I honestly didn't know you that first time! Then when you came to the bar that night and started telling me the same stuff I'd read in the chatroom earlier I was so surprised.
Me: Why didn't you tell me this sooner?


Laurie: I don't know. That first night I had acted so withdrawn. I felt embarrassed that you knew that sort of alter-ego already. So, I started trying to act in real life like my online persona would act. You didn't catch on.
Me: No, because I thought that that would be something you would've told me.
Laurie: Yeah, well, you're right. So, I'm not letting it go any farther and I'm telling you now.


I feel like I've lost a friend. OnTheRocks is Laurie? Why didn't I see this at first? It had occurred to me briefly, but then I dismissed it. So, all that time I'd been confiding in Laurie. And... he'd been a real good friend. Wait a minute! He IS a real good friend.

Laurie: I'm still me. Just, now you know me for who I am a little more. Can you forgive me for not telling you sooner?
Me: All that time...
Laurie: I really do like helping you with your problems. Maybe now we can really talk, face-to-face, like we would online.
I suddenly smile at him I have a friend.: Of course, Laurie.


He hugs me.
When the hug finishes I say: And, you do realize this means you have no right to complain about me calling you Laurie ever again, right? That's your punishment.

I laugh. He groans.

No comments:

Post a Comment