Wednesday, October 17, 2012

49: On The Rocks



(originally posted 02/13/2012)

(Okay, so SP was making everyone in the neighborhood move into the house I had set aside for Elena, so I had her move immediately Monday morning.

Also, I had SO MANY problems with getting Pets. First, the India version thing. Then, we ordered from a store's online store that apparently isn't actually the store... long story. So, finally I get the dern thing installed... then the game flashes and flashes every time a horse is on the screen. My husband hates updating the video card driver, but I explained to him we just HAD TO this time. So, the blasted game is finally working again. /sigh)


Monday



So, the couple loved the house and bought it, and I in turn bought the house that John mentioned right away. I'm so excited as we all get in the cab! Marie and Xavier have mixed feelings. Poor kids, do they ever feel like a place is "home"? I can kind of understand.. being moved from place to place and then off to boarding school myself. Still, this new home will not remind me of anyone. It's entirely new.


It's right along the river so I'll have the river in my backyard! Of course, I also have that busy bridge... but I can deal with that. I told Xavier he can have the studio in the detached upstairs for his painting and he's thrilled. Marie gets her own room, so she's happy. I immediately work on fixing up the upstairs to make a bedroom and bathroom for myself along with an exercise room.


(hehe, the ice cream truck shows up every morning and the first morning (before the game crashed for some unknown reason) Xavier eats an ice cream cone for breakfast.)


It was a really boring day once all the moving was over. The kids went to school and I to work.

Marie: Don't worry about moving us, Mom. At least we're just minutes from Dad's. So, it's like we live at an intersection .. two houses at an intersection. It's great! I can see Dad's house just by looking out my window instead of having that café get in the way.



My house is on the bottom right and John's house is behind the few trees at the almost upper left.

Why does she have to mention how close this house is to John's? That mildly irritates me. I guess because John is probably happy I bought the place... so he can keep an eye on me. Sweet and creepy at the same time.


I like how the house looks at night. Still.. I feel like there's something missing.


Tuesday



After work I'm restless, so I tell Marie I'm going to the dance club.

John chuckles when he sees me walk in: Hey, Elena! I thought you said you were getting too old for this place.
I lightly chuckle now too: Oh yeah, well, I guess not tonight. I don't know. I just couldn't stay in the house tonight.


After a pause I say: So, are you saying you think I should leave?

I hate baiting him like this, but sometimes I just can't help it.

John: What?! No! I didn't mean that. I'm just surprised to see you is all!


He's so cute when he thinks I'm mad about something and tries to make it up to me.

John: Crap, Elena. I'm sorry.
I lightly chuckle: Don't worry about it, John. So what's up with the crazy duds?

I look him up and down, wondering why he's dressed like bandit boy.

John: Oh, just something for work. That, and since it's 70s disco night I thought I'd just keep this on. Wanna dance?
Me: Why not.


John: So, how have the kids been? Marie been working on her math grade?
Me: Xavier's thrilled to have an art studio all to himself. Marie likes having her own room. I'm not positive on the math thing, but I know she's been studying alot more and doing more homework.
John: Good. I threatened her with boarding school. I didn't think you'd mind. Sorry I forgot to mention that the other day.
Me: That's harsh, but you're right. If she can't keep her personal life out of her studies, then she needs to have it taken out by going off to boarding school again.


(That dude's hand is really distracting and I didn't notice it as I took the pic--sorry.)

John: But what do YOU think of the house?
Me: I like it like I thought I would.

I sigh and almost trip. I notice how John looked like he was ready to catch me. Even now, he's still ever on alert that I might fall since I'm such a klutz. He knows me so well.

Me: It just feels like there's still something missing...

I leave the statement hanging. I see John's eyes flash up to my face before he looks away. I wish I could tell what he was thinking, but it's hard to see in this semi-dark room and made even harder with the mask he's wearing.


John clears his throat: Well, so you know, if you ever need anything, day or night, I'm only a phone call-and an intersection-away.
I look at him with a wordless expression.
John chuckles: I'm not going to impose myself upon you though, don't worry. I just... wanted you to know.
I smile: Don't worry, John. I know.


I love watching John dance. He has such mastery over his body. Memories come flooding back of our nights together and I feel myself go weak in the knees. Not good. Don't trip! Still... if I did, he'd catch me. I giggle.

John's head pops back over to look at me with a curious expression: What is it?
It's my turn to clear my throat: Nothing.

I see John's eyebrows twist around in an unbelieving expression. He doesn't ask me any more questions, though.


Why am I feeling so silly? I haven't even had a chance to get a drink yet!
We don't say much more as we continue to watch each other dance. He actually does have to catch me before I faceplant on the floor a few times, and each time my heart races as it climbs up to my throat keeping me from breathing normally. I try to tell myself I can't breathe right because I'm dancing, not because of John's nearness.


I get home and find Marie reading Xavier a story in my bed. I don't mind when X-man asks if he can sleep in my bed with me tonight. It won't be much longer until he will think it uncool to do anything with "Mom". Right now, he's still my little boy. He looks so much like me, only with John's eyes. My little artist.


Wednesday



I wake up early the next morning and I have a few minutes, so I get out my laptop and get on some random chatting website. I talk to someone with the handle "OnTheRocks" who's incredibly nice. I talk about my past love life and he listens and laughs at all the right places as well as groan at all the right places as well. He thinks my 2nd husband is a total loser, and the first one isn't to be trusted, but is still better than the 2nd one.


OnTheRocks: So what are you going to do?
Violet (me): I don't know. Right now I'm not going to do anything. I don't want to push either of them away, but Idk how long I can keep a juggling act going, kwim?
OnTheRocks: In my job I hear about this alot. If you don't do something about this it will come back to bite you in the ar.se.
Violet: Oh? What's your job?

I've been monopolizing the conversation this whole time. I haven't given him a chance to talk about himself.

OnTheRocks: I work in a bar... which I have to get to in a min. So. My advice is ditch both of em. It didn't work out either time did it?
Violet: Eh, no.
Violet: But
OnTheRocks: I really gotta get going. Maybe we can chat more later?
Violet: Oh, yeah. sure thing. cya.
OnTheRocks: mk. ttyl.


I get home from work and get a call from Greg. He wants to meet me at a new bar across the river and up on the hill called "On The Rocks". Weird. That's the same name as the guy that I chatted with this morning. Oh well, it's a common thing for a drink. The name of the bar--bars have drinks. The guy works at a bar--where he puts drinks 'on the rocks'. Just a coincidence.


Greg: Hey. Thanks for meeting me over here.


Me: Not a problem, Greg. What's up?


(This one IS cropped.)
Greg: I just wanted to apologize about being a jerk the other day at Ben's birthday.
I blink a few times, not knowing what to say, so Greg continues.
Greg: I'm really touched you put him in that outfit I got for him. I hope that means we can make him grow up with good taste in sports teams.
We?
Greg clears his throat: So.. um, I was wondering if I could, you know, come by and see him some time.


Me: Yeah, of course. I'm not wanting to keep you from your son. I just didn't think you wanted anything to do with him.


Greg: I'm sorry I said that... I can't believe I said that. I didn't mean it. Of course I want everything to do with him.
Me: Then why did you make it quite clear in the divorce proceedings that you didn't want any custody?
I don't look up as Greg exhales slowly: After all I'd done to you, I didn't want to take him from you as well.

"The Winner Takes It All" by Abba starts playing over the speakers. Stupid jukebox!

I take a deep breath: Yeah. Come by any time. You know where my new house is right?


Greg: Yes, I do actually. Funny thing about houses. The one I bought used to be John's.
Aw, crap, Greg. Don't start talking about John.
Greg: So, I heard you guys were tearing up the dance floor last night. How is he?
Dammit.
Me: He's alright.
Ugh! I hate talking about John with Greg and Greg with John. Why do they have to do this to me?
Me: He wanted to talk about Marie's math grade and how I was liking the new house.
Greg sighs.


I feel someone staring at me. It's the bartender. It's hard to read his expression in his sky blue eyes. He looks slightly annoyed, but there's something else there as well that I can't put my finger on.


Once he sees me looking back at him, he gets back to pretending to work.


Greg: So, ARE you liking the new house?
Me: Yes.
Greg: Anything you need help with? I'm more than willing to help...
Me: With what exactly?
Greg smiles: Oh you know, unpacking, fixing things up, heavy lifting, fixing toilets, yardwork where I have to take my shirt off...


Greg: That sort of thing.

I can't help but laugh at the impish grin on his face. Of course, his grin gets wider when he sees me laughing.

Me: I'll... let you know okay?
Greg: Sure thing.

His phone buzzes. He checks it, swears under his breath and looks at me apologetically.

Greg: I gotta run.
I can feel my face fall: Um, okay.
Greg: Can I call you later? Or visit? Or call and then visit?
I smile again at the goofy look on his face and let out a silent chuckle: Sure.
Greg: Great!

For a second he looks like he wants to kiss me good-bye, but then changes his mind at the last minute.


 
John's brother, Eric, walks over to me and asks me to dance. He'd just been dancing with Sue, his wife, but she has apparently gone upstairs to do something else.

Eric: Hey, Elena. How are you holding up?
Me: Fine, I guess. Thanks for asking.
Eric: No problemo. So... what's up? You getting back together with Greg?

Nosy little... Well, maybe that's not actually fair. Judging from the look on his face, he's just concerned.

Me: I'm not getting back together with anyone, actually.

None of your business if I DO decide to, though.

Eric: I realize it's none of my business, but please don't get back together with Greg.
My mouth drops open in angry shock.


Eric is quick to jump in before I can jump all over him for saying that: Wait a sec! You just have no idea how happy John is lately. As a brother, I'm asking you not to break his heart.
Me: He KNOWS I have no intention of having anything serious with anyone at the moment.
Eric winces: Sorry. I just... I just don't want to see John go through that heartache again.

I glare at him and we're silent for a moment.

Eric breaks the silence: I see that we're neighbors now. Do you like the house?
Me: Yes, it's great. It'll feel big next week when John has Marie and Xavier, but I guess that's just something I'll have to get used to.
Ah, crap. I shouldn't have mentioned John. Now Eric has that look on his face that says he's going to butt into business that isn't his again.

Sue walks back down the stairs at that moment and, after she says hi to me, asks Eric if he's ready to go. Thank goodness, they leave.
I can feel the stare of the bartender again. As I look over, however, I see he's busy at work cleaning the bar. The bar has gotten empty now so I decide to walk over and talk to him.


Me: Hi. I'm not quite ready to go home yet. What drink would you recommend?

I feel a little self-conscious as his eyes pierce right into me.

Bartender: Well, that depends. Do you want sweet, tart, bitter, or do you just want to set your mouth on fire?

A small smile escapes his lips at the last part.
I smile back: Surprise me I guess.

His crystal eyes seem to size me up for a moment, he nods his head, and then proceeds to make me a drink.


I watch him as he expertly mixes up the drink. I wish I could do that.




Bartender: Here, try this. (A half-smile flits across his face.) It's called "Big Mistake".


I pick up the drink and take a sip. I feel like a lightning bolt has gone straight to my brain. It makes me feel like I want to get up on the countertop of the bar and dance like a moron. I guess he thought I needed a pick-me-up.

Me: Wow.
He lightly chuckles.
Me: So, I haven't seen you around town before, and of course that doesn't mean you haven't been here the whole time. I'm just saying...
Bartender: I live in ____. (nearby town) So, yeah, I just come here to work.
Me: Oh. So... what's your name?
Bartender: Lawrence.
Me: Laurie?
Lawrence: No, just Lawrence.

Well, hello Lawrence, a.k.a. "Mr. Personality". He's certainly lacking in that department.


Lawrence: So, I think I heard someone call you Alicia?
Me: No, it's Elena.
Lawrence: Ah. Sorry.
Me: No, it's okay. That happens alot actually.

He looks... bored. Bored, but also like there's something else going on inside his head. I wonder what.

Me: So, what's the matter, Laurie? You don't like your job?


He chuckles: No, I like it just fine. Hm. Well, it does get tiresome sometimes, but that comes with the territory, right?
Me: I guess.
Lawrence: So, that guy with the baseball cap was your boyfriend?
Me: Well, he WAS my husband. Up until last week, that is.
He blinks his eyes once real fast in shock: Wow. Now that sounds like a story.

So I tell him the story about Greg as I finish my drink. He stands there listening politely, but I see his eyes widen in the reflection in the mirror a few times when he has his back turned towards me.


Me: And that's not even the beginning, because of all that happened with John as well.
Lawrence: Sounds like another story.
Me: Mhm, but most of that story works in with the one I just told you.

I have a slight buzzing feeling in my cheekbones thanks to the drink. It seems to have loosened my tongue as well. I can't believe I'm sitting here telling this complete stranger my life story.


Lawrence: Have you thought about just ditching both of them and starting over?


Me: Funny you should say that, because I was just thinking that this morning. But I don't know if I CAN. I mean, I have children with both of them.
Lawrence: But that doesn't mean you have to date them.
Me: But... I love them.
Lawrence: Both of them?
Me: I know, I know. It's strange, but yes.


Laurie: So, you love both of them. You can't imagine your life without both of them. You want to spend the rest of your life with... both of them?
Me: Erm...

He chuckles a little and throws a dishcloth on the bar before wiping with it. After about a second of that he leans on the bar and looks over at me with a smirk on his face.
Laurie: It sounds to me, Elena, that you're confused.
I scowl and look down at the bar. When I look back up, I see him smiling at me.
Laurie: Don't worry about it. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
Me: But... I don't know what to do next.
He chuckles: Well, that's the nature of being confused, isn't it? As for right now, however, what you're going to do next is go home, because the bar is closed.

He winks at me and turns around to start turning off lights. I get up and leave.


Wow. The town looks lovely from here. They should add an outdoor seating area since they have this awesome view. It's almost as good as the one from the castle.

I think Laurie's right. I'm just confused. All the more reason to not be serious with anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment