Monday, October 15, 2012

47: Lions and Horses and Bears, Oh My!



(originally posted 02/08/2012)


John: Let's get out of here.
Me: Mk.


So we get into his, um, awesome car and just drive. I have no idea where we're going, and I don't care. I'm on some kind of strange high. John pulls off on the side of the road in a random spot up in the mountains that surround our town, and we get out to stargaze. For a while we just sit there quietly enjoying the night air and the sound of each other's breathing.

This is so nice. Almost magical.


John: Look, see that tilted question mark? That's Leo the lion. People speculate that it was the constellation on the horizon during the time they carved the Sphinx.


Me: That's the big dipper, right?
John: Yes, but it's part of the bigger constellation Ursa Major. The big bear. (He chuckles.) She used to be an incredibly beautiful woman named Callisto. Zeus fell in love with her, but when Hera found out she was furious and turned her into a bear.
It's my turn to chuckle a little: Hm, any woman that attracts Zeus better run for her life. Bad stuff always seems to happen to them.


John whispers: Don't worry, I'm not Zeus.

His lips lightly graze my ear. I get chills up and down my spine. The littlest things this man does can still turn me on.

To hide the way he really affected me, I giggle into my hand. Apparently satisfied with himself, he settles back and I can see his beautiful teeth sparkle in the moonlight. I give up wondering why I love this man's teeth and thinking it's weird. Just admit it, Elena. You do.


John: Though maybe I should keep a closer eye on you. You know, to keep you safe from him.
Me: I don't think we need to worry about that. He doesn't really exist.
John: Oh? How do we know? (He pauses.) I've learned to believe what I thought was impossible to be true.

I take in a quick breath. Whoa... uh... wow. John appears amused by my silence. My skin feels like it's humming as we sit there silently.


John breaks his silence: For instance, I thought it impossible that I'd ever so much as kiss you ever again.
I can feel myself start breathing faster.
John: I don't know if you can even fathom how happy I am right now.

He takes his hand and reaches over to run it along my jaw to turn my head to face him. I watch the twinkling in his eyes as we just sit there staring at each other.

John: Elena, I...

His phone rings. He exhales angrily and reaches in his pocket to check it. I can see the annoyance in his eyes as he reads the number. He doesn't answer it though.

John: ****.


John: Sometimes, I really hate my job. I have to go in. (He looks up at me.) I can drive you over to the nectary, and call you a cab from there.
Me: Um, alright. I mean, if you have to go, you have to go.

Besides, it's not the first time your job has interrupted us.

John sighs angrily as we get in his car and he drops me off at the nectary.


John turns to me before I get out of the car: Can I see you again tomorrow?
Me: I'm throwing a party for Ben's birthday. Want to come?
John: Wild horses couldn't keep me away.

He kisses me before I get out of the car to wait for my cab. Then I watch him drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment