Monday, October 22, 2012

54: Optimism


(originally posted 02/21/2012)


(Yes, this one is cropped differently.)

After Greg leaves in a huff, I go upstairs to think about what I'm going to do next. I stop and think about what Laurie said about the two of us opening a bar together. This wouldn't be the first time I've ever started over in my carreer. Besides, if it doesn't work out Laurie could just buy me out.

I get dressed and head over to On The Rocks. It's early, but I get the feeling Laurie is there anyway and will let me in.


Sure enough, he is and he does. I liked the way his eyes glinted when he unlocked the door for me. It wasn't quite a smile, but it wasn't his usual cynical expression either. I think he might actually like me. Though he'd never admit it.


Laurie: You have that, "I need to talk to you about something" expression on your face. What's up? Thought any more about that cafe?
Me: Yes. And I think it's a great idea.


Laurie walks back over to the middle of the bar with a surprised expression on his face: Really?
I nod.
Laurie looks at me sheepishly: Would you be mad at me if I tell you I'm honestly surprised about that?
I laugh: No, I'm not mad.

I like the way the bar feels when it's not open. I hop up on the counter and swing my feet back and forth off the side. I lean back a little and grin at him.

Me: I'm excited.
Laurie: Elena, get off the bar please.
Me: Why?
Laurie: Because I'm not going to carry on a business conversation with someone sitting on a counter.

I sigh. Party p.oo.per. Then I hop down to the floor again and stand behind the bar with Laurie. I just grin back at his admonishing expression.

(Why is p.o.o censored out but crap isn't?)

I decide to jump into a subject important to me: I'm going to need you to teach me how to tend a bar. Managing I can handle, but I want to tend the bar too.
Laurie almost smiles: You just worry about managing for now. I'll handle the bar and we can hire someone. (He looks down at my pout.) Okay! I'll teach you, but don't expect to learn this stuff overnight.
I grin again.


Laurie: This does not bode well for me.
Me: What?
Laurie: How easily you just got your way.

I laugh again. Laurie is so easy to hang out with. I don't feel like I constantly have to impress him. In fact, I get the feeling that if I tried he'd just write me off right away. That's so refreshing.

Me: Oh don't worry, that's my one big request. Everything else I'm flexible on.
Laurie looks at me calculatingly.


Laurie: So, (He exhales in an almost laugh.) how are you at decorating, because I stink at it.
Me: Err, well I'm not fabulous but I'm sure we can give it our best shot. It's going to need a lot of work?


Laurie: Loads. When can we get started?
Me: Well, I have to put in my notice at work, but John is getting Marie and Xavier this week and I bet I can get Marie to babysit. So, if we need to get together this week we can to at least put together some plans.
Laurie: I don't mind doing most of it. We're going to need to extend the back. This could take weeks, maybe months.
Me: You think you can put up with me that often for that long?
Laurie actually laughs now: You could take some getting used to. Thing is, can you put up with sourpuss me?
Me: Yeah, that's nothing. I know you won't believe me, but I think I'm going to like hanging out with you.


His head jerks a little in surprise, and I think I detect a little ray of hope in his countenance that I'd never seen before.

Laurie: I've never met anyone like you. How are you always so optimistic?
Me: I'm not really.
Laurie: You are. Compared to me, you are.
Me: Well, I guess. And I guess the turnaround question is why are you so pessimistic?


Now his face darkens: I have my reasons. I don't want to talk about them.
I'm concerned: Well, if you ever do...
Laurie: I won't. Not yet.

An uncomfortable silence ensues. This is strange. That's usually my line. I never want to talk about anything with anybody. Especially if it's painful. And yet the other night I told him the whole story. I wonder what happened to him?

Laurie: Sorry, this is not the way to get started is it? Let's change the subject.
I can feel the worry etched on my face: O...kay?


Laurie: So, how's it going with John and Greg?
It's my turn to scowl: Ugh. I don't know if I really want to talk about it.
Laurie chuckles a little: That bad, huh?
I just look at him with my mouth shut in a silent communication saying I'm not going to talk about it.


Laurie: Alright, alright. You go and put up the deposit for the place. We can go tomorrow to close the deal if you want.
Me: That fast?
Laurie: Sure. It won't be a problem.
I blink a few times: Okay.
Laurie: I'd go with you, but I still have to work this place today at least.

I look around and wonder what he's going to do to sell it. I don't suppose it's going to be easy to get a buyer for it. Like I'd said, this is a small town, and we'll have probably too much competition. And I'm supposed to be the optimistic one.

No comments:

Post a Comment