Thursday, October 18, 2012

50A: Elena 50B: John


(originally posted 02/14/2012)

Elena

Thursday



After thinking about it all night ... well, okay the few hours I had before dawn... I decided I think I know what's missing. I need a little companion. So, I adopted Duchess, a Shih Tzu. She's a doll.


This will be good. I hope having her makes me feel less lonely... less like I need a man to make me feel complete.

The kids act like they don't want to go to school today since we just got her. I tell them they have to. However, I take the next couple of days off at work. I'm all caught up on what I needed to do plus some. My boss is awesome.

My phone rings. It's John! I put Duchess down and answer the phone.


She immediately goes and starts playing with a raccoon walking by.

Me (on phone): Hey, John. What's up?
John: Hey, baby. Aren't you supposed to be working?
I chuckle: Nope, not today. I'm off.
I can hear the smile in his voice: Cool. Hey, I'm finished with work today too...
I interrupt: But the day just got started..
John chuckles: Yes, but remember? My hours are weird. This is great though. I was calling to leave you a message to ask you out tonight, but since you're not working right now want to just go out now?

I suddenly hear Laurie's (I like calling him Laurie, not Lawrence.) voice in my head telling me to ditch both of them. Well, I don't have to listen!

I'm quiet as I stand there thinking about Laurie.
John: Elena?
Me: Oh, sorry! Yeah. I can't right now. How about this evening? Where do you want to go?
It's John's turn to be quiet for a moment: Um, ... Oh I know. There's this new place...
Me: On The Rocks?
John sounds surprised: Yes. You've been to it already?
Me: Mhm, but we can still go there if you want.
I can hear the teasing in his voice: Well, we could always go to the dance club...
Me: Ugh, I don't really want to go to the dance club. Let's just go to that new bar.
John: Great! So how soon can you get there?
I chuckle: Well, I have a few things I want to get done today.
John: I'll meet you over there at seven?
Me: Sure. See you then.


I have a blast with Duchess. She takes to Ben like a bee to honey. She appears to be an incredibly loyal doggie.


At about 7:15 I arrive at the bar. John immediately asks me to dance. I've decided to just keep the dress I had on earlier on. Today John's dressed as a repairman. I have no idea what on earth he does with his job. All I DO know is that somebody desperately needs to take charge of his wardrobe.
Geez, John. This is a DATE. Why are you dressed like that?
I look over and see that Laurie is working again. When he looks over at me the corner of his mouth moves up in an almost smile.

The place is dead. We're the only two customers in the bar. John doesn't seem to mind. In fact, I wonder if he even notices. He just stares at me the whole time.

I dance with John, but I keep glancing over at Laurie. Occasionally he'll still catch me and do that little almost smile again. It's like he's amused by me. His eyes squint a little and the corner of his mouth moves up the tiniest amount. It's like he's got me all figured out. Well, after everything I told him last night he might. Glad somebody has because I sure haven't.

John: Elena?
I shake my head a little and look over at him: Yeah?
John smiles: Sometimes I wonder what's going through that pretty little head of yours.
I smile and look down, then back up at his face and ask: This place is dead, want to go somewhere else?
John is still smiling as he shakes his head slightly: No, I kind of like having the place all to ourselves.

His gaze drops to my throat and I envision all we could do if we really DID have the place to ourselves. I can feel my heart start to fly and I get incredibly nervous all of a sudden.

I swallow: I'll get us some drinks, okay?
John stands there for a minute looking like he wants to argue and say he'll get them, but then changes his mind: Alright then, sure.

He heads over to play a game while I go and talk to Laurie.


Laurie: Hello again, Miss Elena.
Me: Hi Laurie.
Laurie sighs: I prefer Lawrence.
I smile: I know.

He cuts his eyes over to me in slight annoyance. I hear John hooting from what I'm guessing is a good score or something from the arcade game.

Laurie sighs again: So, what can I do you for today?
I blink a few times trying to make sense of what he said: Uh, I don't know. Just mix us up something with lemons.
Laurie smirks again: When life gives you lemons...

I shoot him a confused expression. He shakes his head when he sees it, the smirk still in place. He mixes us something, and I take John his drink.


John: The bartender knows your name?
Oops. I shouldn't have run my mouth off like that yesterday. I don't think John will like hearing that Laurie knows everything. Guess I won't tell him. Oh, please, Laurie keep your mouth shut. I might even call you Lawrence if you do.
Me: Yeah, we talked last night when the bar got empty.
John: Oh? What did you two talk about?
Crap!
I cut my eyes over to the door to my left: I don't really remember. Just a bunch of nonsense.


John's eyes narrow for a few seconds, then he looks down at his glass: Good drink. What is it?


Me: I forgot to ask. I just asked for something with lemons. I don't know why the lemons, I just want something lemony.
John chuckles.


John: Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemony alcoholic beverages, right?

I smile. I hear Laurie grunt slightly. Is he listening in? Well, that's a little unprofessional.


John gets a little more serious expression on his face: I'm so glad we're out together tonight. I've really missed you, Elena.
Me: It's only been a few days, John.
John: Well, I don't feel like I really got to talk to you at the club the other night, and I was distracted by something else from work.
I feel a warm smile spread across my face as I have a sudden shift in mood: Well, we're here together now then.


I can feel a warmth from the drink spread over me. I notice how tightly John's shirt fits him. Suddenly I'm not so miffed he dressed as a repairman. He looks hot.

Me: Of course, we could always go somewhere else if you want. Mmm, like your car?
John nearly spits out his drink.


John: I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe that's not the best idea. I'd hate to think that this is just the drink in you saying that and later you'll regret it.
Me: Aw, John, don't be ridiculous.


Me: We could just slip outside to you car and...

I whisper in his ear to let him know just what exactly I'd like to do in his car. I suddenly worry that he's going to break the glass in his hand because he squeezes it real tight for a moment. I stand back and watch his face for a reaction. He starts taking deep, slow breaths like he's trying to calm himself down. This is fun!


John: Elena, you have no idea how tempted I am right now, but I've gotten the idea that you really don't want to take things as fast as I want to take them.
Me: Well, what if tonight I do?
John lets out a shaky exhale: And tomorrow you'll wake up regretting it and not be too happy with me either.

His face is mere inches from mine again. If I kiss him now I'm sure I'll get my way. I can smell the drink on his breath. How is it that it isn't affecting him the same way? How can he stand there all calm like that?


I whisper: I bet I'll be VERY happy with you in the morning.
John stands there and fidgets: Elena, I just cannot risk it. You mean too much to me to risk it.
Me: What risk?
John: Like I said, you'll hate me in the morning. After everything, to make you upset at me for something like this... I'd have a real hard time forgiving myself for that.


He doesn't want me. He's pushing me away because I don't want to go steady with him or move in with him. So it's all or nothing with you, huh John? I can feel my face start to fall.


John: Baby, what are you thinking?
Me: Nothing.
John sighs in irritation: No, you're not thinking nothing. S---, Elena. Do you honestly think I don't WANT to?
I can't look him in the eye.


John: You silly, oversensitive girl. Of course I WANT to. How the hell can I NOT WANT to? This is so hard it's killing me right now.
I smile a half-smile: Just how Hard is this for you, John?


John lets out his favorite four letter word. He kisses me almost angrily, and I can't figure out who exactly he's mad at, me or himself. I can feel his hands move from the back of my head down to my waist where the other hand joins it. He uses those strong hands to... push me away.


Confused, I stand there panting and looking at him. His jaw is clenched as I can't decide which emotion in me is winning: hurt, anger or desire. I hear the clinking of glasses as Laurie must be rearranging them. The place is still dead. I want to slap John for just standing there not doing or saying anything.

John: We... shouldn't... just yet.
I glare at him: Funny word "should" because you know what? It usually means the exact opposite of what you want.
John: And right now it's extremely accurate.
Me: Then why do you persist in being so ridiculous?
John: The same as what I just told you. YOU want to take things slow, so that's what we're doing.
Me: Oh, great. Pin this back on my why don't you?
His hands fly up and grab either side of my head: And it's a good idea. Our divorce was nasty. I want both of us to know exactly what we're doing while we're doing it.
Me: Lots of couples are like this.. this.. passionate... on the first date even! This is nothing new.
John: You're right again, but I don't want to end up like "lots of couples".

I can feel the hands on the sides of my head tighten slightly. I look up at him and remember everything we've been through together. After all that, he still loves me. I love him. So WHY doesn't he want to pick up where we left off? Oh... Oh! We didn't "leave off" at a great place. HE wants to start at square one as well. He's not said as much, but that's what he wants. I'm being just like Greg. John wants to start anew, but he doesn't completely trust me, or himself for that matter I bet.


I reach my arms up and around his neck to pull him close. He inhales and his arms tighten around me.

Me: I'm sorry, baby. And I don't want to end up like "lots of couples" either. I just get carried away so easily with you.
John takes a deep breath and then chuckles slightly: Just hold this getting carried away for another day.

He kisses my neck where it meets my shoulder. As he exhales on that spot I get covered in goosebumps. My hands grab fistfulls of his shirt all on their own.

John: I'd better get going... now. Will you be okay getting home?
I sigh and loosen my grip on his shirt: Yes. It's not even that late, but I understand why you have to get going.

He pulls back, kisses the tip of my nose, and practically runs out the door. 


John

 

Work has been crazy lately. I'm on the trail of a very skilled crook. I've infiltrated this man's group and they actually think I'm working for them. So far I've just been a thuggish security type of guy. What really bugs me is I have no idea who actually heads the whole operation. There are no pictures of him. Whoever he is is the man behind kidnapping, drug charges, and illegal gambling to name a few. The other guys just call him "The Boss".

Someone did mention something about a bar, so I decide to check out the bars we have in town before moving out to others. I hate not really knowing what I'm looking for.


I decide to visit the dance club first. To my surprise, Elena walks in! She has her hair down and that eyeliner is back. Oh! She sees me. She's smiling. God, she's gorgeous.

Me: Hey, Elena! I thought you said you were getting too old for this place.
She lightly chuckles: Oh yeah, well, I guess not tonight. I don't know. I just couldn't stay in the house tonight.

Good. She's not looking around the club for someone else. I hate it when she does that. It makes me almost want to scream, "Greg's not here!"


The bar turned up nothing for me, so I take Elena out on the dance floor and work very hard not to be distracted with watching her body move to the music. I just want to run my hands all over her. Ugh! Focus, John. Happily, I do get to catch her a few times due to her adorable klutziness. I'm so happy she's a klutz, catching her is a fabulous excuse to touch her.

Since visiting the dance club turns up absolutely nothing for me, I decide to visit Leo's. I really hope nothing is going on with this bar since it's my favorite and Stephen, the guy who runs it, is an old friend of mine. Again, nothing. Am I losing my touch? It IS harder to check out places in town for this sort of thing since everyone knows me. Thank goodness The Boss thinks I've been fired from the SIA.

Thursday dawns and I can hear barking coming from Elena's house. I've been sleeping in Marie's bed while she isn't here so I can look out the window to see that nothing bad is happening over there. But barking? Did she get a dog? I look out the window to see her holding a cute little shih tzu. Hm, maybe. I hope Greg didn't get it for her. Crap. I wish I'd thought of getting her a puppy. I didn't know she wanted one.

It bothered me last night that I couldn't keep an eye out on her house because they called me over to the hideout to repair some faulty wiring that was starting to shoot sparks everywhere. That was NOT fun. But, since I'm the low guy on the totem pole the unsavory job fell to me. I can't wait to get out of this investigation. Since I'm finished for a while with that I call Elena.

I ask her out and decide to pay the newest bar a visit not just posing but actually on a date. I'll keep my eyes and ears open, but I promise myself I'll also pay more attention to her than I did the other night.

She walks in, and I see she's wearing what looks like a nightgown to me. Oh, I don't mind. The place is dead, and I'm glad because I don't want anyone else looking at her the way I'm looking at her right now. Her hair is fixed the same way as that day in court during our divorce when she stole the kids from me. I was so angry that day. I remember the way I locked eyes with her, wishing I could squeeze out of her all the love she had for Greg. Ugh, and she still has. I have to be very careful tonight, especially with the way she's dressed, that I don't let things get too carried away. I do NOT want to sleep with her until I know she's really mine. Just mine.

And now she's looking around again. Dammit, Elena. He's not here! Wait... I think she's staring at the bartender. Why is she staring at the bartender? Or is she just staring at him to avoid looking at me?



Me: Elena?
She shakes her head a little and finally looks at me: Yeah?
She so cute when she's caught off guard like that. I wonder what she was thinking that would make her be caught off guard.
Me: Sometimes I wonder what's going through that pretty little head of yours.

I see her long eyelashes rest on her slightly blushing cheeks as a reaction to what I said, I hope. She's just too beautiful. I'm incredibly glad I don't have to share the way she looks right now with any other bar patrons. I wonder... does she STILL not know how incredibly gorgeous she is? Oh God. She's cut those amazing eyes of hers back up to me. I feel myself get lost in her eyes.

Elena: This place is dead. Do you want to go somewhere else?
Of course NOT.
Me: No, I kind of like having the place to ourselves.

That way I don't have to worry that some other guy is looking at how bare your throat is and how low the neckline is to that nightgown dress. I want to run my tongue down the length of her collarbone. I wonder what's upstairs here. Are there any secluded areas we could escape to? Then I could slip one of the straps of that dress off of her shoulder and...

Elena interrupts my thoughts: I'll get us some drinks, okay?

So that you can go and talk to the bartender that you've been cutting your eyes at since you got here? No, I don't like that. Maybe I should get the drinks. Why has she been looking at the bartender so much?

I sigh. Cool it, John. You're making something out of nothing. And... perhaps it's not such a bad idea to have a drink in my hand to keep myself out of trouble. Because that's what Elena is. Trouble. But I'll take as much of it as I can handle. Ugh! I need to clear my head for a minute. Yes, you go order the drinks.

Me: Alright then, sure.

She goes and orders some drinks. I don't care what she orders really. I see an arcade game and put some coins in the slot. This is the perfect distraction. Video games. Oh YES! I finally got that blasted thing! HA! I rock.

After I finish celebrating, I realize that the barman has called Elena by her name. Huh.


Me: The bartender knows your name?
Elena's eyes get big and it's a few seconds before she answers: Yeah we talked last night after the bar got empty.
Me: Oh? What did you two talk about?
Yes, Elena, what DID the two of you talk about. You and him. Alone here together. And there's something strange going on with the bars here that I can't figure out. What if something had happened to her? I'd never ever forgive myself. And... is this the reason she's been looking over at him all night? I need to keep her back to him.

I glance over to the bartender and he cuts me a snide look. Then I see Elena look to her left. She's going to lie to me!

Elena: I don't really remember. Just a bunch of nonsense.


Not quite a lie, not the real truth though either. I still can't completely trust this woman. She won't even share with me what she and the bartender talked about. It'd be best for both of us if I changed the subject.

I look down at my glass: Good drink. What is it?


I see the relief in Elena's eyes: I forgot to ask. I just asked for something with lemons. I don't know why the lemons, I just want something lemony.

Lemony is a funny word, and I love watching her mouth form it.


I chuckle: Well, when life gives you lemons, make lemony alcoholic beverages, right?

Elena smiles a small smile. I hear the barman clear his throat a little. When I look over at him, he rolls his eyes. Elena looks like she's about to turn around to look at him again. Distract her, quick!


Me: I'm so glad we're out together tonight. I've really missed you, Elena.
Elena's eyes come back to me: It's only been a few days, John.
Me: Well, I don't feel like I really got to talk to you at the club the other night, and I was distracted by something else from work.

A sweet smile begins to form across Elena's face, but I'm distracted by the clanging of the glasses the bartender is arranging.

Elena: Well, we're here together now then.


Now the barman is staring at me. Hard stare. Elena is staring at me too, but a different kind of stare. I look down at her glass and notice she's just about finished it. The look in her eyes makes me think of a lioness on the hunt. I need to drink some more of this drink.

Elena: Of course we could always go somewhere else if you want. Mmm, like your car.
S---!
So much for letting the drink be a distraction from my racing thoughts earlier. Apparently it's had quite an effect on Elena, and now that--yes a lioness--look in her eyes is bringing it all back.



Oh dear. I've got to calm this down. I don't want her throwing herself at me. She'll blame me for it later.

Me: I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe that's not the best idea. I'd hate to think that this is just the drink in you saying that and later you'll regret it.
Elena purrs: Aw, John, don't be ridiculous.

Do lionesses purr? I can feel my pulse quicken.


Elena takes a tiny step closer to me: We could just slip outside to you car and...

She pauses for a moment, looking demure. That doesn't last long, however, as she then proceeds to lean over and whisper in my ear just exactly what she'd like to do to me in my car. This little minx surely knows how she's affecting me. She looks like she's having fun with it too, dammit. I can feel my breathing get heavier, and I have the almost impossible task of trying to gain control over the physical reaction she's causing. Minx... Okay... Control. Get control.

Holy cow I want her so much! I so badly want to just throw her over my shoulder, carry her out to my car and teach her just how much CAN actually be accomplished in a car.



Me: Elena, you have no idea how tempted I am right now, but I've gotten the idea that you really don't want to take things as fast as I want to take them.
Elena pouts: Well, what if tonight I do?
Oh dear God, please don't pout like that up at me! This is almost more than I can stand.
Me: And tomorrow you'll wake up regretting it and not be too happy with me either.

She so close. All I'd have to do is lean down slightly and with one kiss, it'd be all over. I'd be doomed. Trouble. Oh yes. She's trouble. Irresistible trouble. I take in a deep breath to try to calm myself, but I didn't count on her perfume filling my nostrils and causing me to lose my train of thought.


She whispers: I bet I'll be VERY happy with you in the morning.
I stand there and fidget. I must resist. There's too much to risk here.
Me: Elena, I just cannot risk it. You mean too much to me to risk it.
Elena: What risk?
Me: Like I said, you'll hate me in the morning. After everything, to make you upset at me for something like this... I'd have a real hard time forgiving myself for that.


She takes a step back. I watch as not a pout, but actual hurt fills her face. Oh no. No, please don't be hurt by this, my love. Oh... HOW can I make her understand?


Me: Baby, what are you thinking?
Elena: Nothing.
Yeah, right.
I sigh in irritation: No, you're not thinking nothing. S---, Elena. Do you honestly think I don't WANT to?
She won't look me in the eye.

I find my arms have worked themselves around her unbidden.


Me: You silly, oversensitive girl. Of course I WANT to. How the hell can I NOT WANT to? This is so hard it's killing me right now.
One corner of her mouth goes up: Just how Hard is this for you, John?

That's it, I can't take this anymore!

I swear under my breath and attack her mouth with mine. How DARE she be able to do this to me? She knows all the right buttons to push. Of course she does, she's my ex-wife! So she didn't sleep with Greg until after the divorce, she still cheated. Dam that hurt! MY Elena... in his arms. Well, you know what? Now she's in MY arms! MINE! I simply MUST win her back and make her JUST mine. And... I can't do it like this.

I gently place each of my hands on her tiny waist and push her away from me. It hurts, but I manage it somehow.


The bartender looks to be completely ignoring us as I watch Elena's chest heave up and down as she tries to calm herself down. She looks a little angry. I work on keeping myself from taking her in my arms again and picking up where the last kiss left off.

Me: We... shouldn't... just yet.
Elena glares at me: Funny word "should" because you know what? It usually means the exact opposite of what you want.
Me: And right now it's extremely accurate.
Elena: Then why do you persist in being so ridiculous?
Me: The same as what I just told you. YOU want to take things slow, so that's what we're doing.
Elena: Oh, great. Pin this back on my why don't you?
My hands fly up and grab either side of her head: And it's a good idea. Our divorce was nasty. I want both of us to know exactly what we're doing while we're doing it.
Elena: Lots of couples are like this.. this.. passionate... on the first date even! This is nothing new.
Me: You're right again, but I don't want to end up like "lots of couples".

Putting my hands on her head was a mistake, but I can't seem to get them to release her. It's like I want to physically remove any thought of Greg from her. I watch as a look of understanding comes into her eyes.


Suddenly, she's thrown her arms around me. Her perfume attacks my senses once more, and I nearly pick her up and carry her out of the bar.

Elena: I'm sorry, baby. And I don't want to end up like "lots of couples" either. I just get carried away so easily with you.
Oh, you have no idea just how close you are to getting "carried away."
I chuckle at my thought: Just hold this getting carried away for another day.

I think I've found the spot where her perfume is coming from. I can't resist placing my lips there. I sigh. She's just too tempting. I feel her grab my shirt like she wants to rip it off of me. I have to get out of here.

Me: I'd better get going... now. Will you be okay getting home?
She sighs and loosens her grip on my shirt: Yes. It's not even that late, but I understand why you have to get going.
Do you?

I pull back, kiss the tip of her nose, and make a bee-line for the door.

I stay outside the bar and watch her, however. I don't trust the barman, and now she's alone with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment