Tuesday, October 2, 2012

37: I Am NOT My Mother!



(originally posted 11/17/2011)

Still at the party


(I'm switching to Marie for a min.)
Here's Marie with Armand at the party. I remember now that Armand's little sister is named Melinda. It looks like she and Marie are getting to know one another.


Armand: What are you doing here?
Dawson: Marie called me and invited me over here.
Armand: She did?


Marie walks out, wondering where Armand went, and sees Dawson.

Marie: Hey, Dawson! You came!
Dawson: Of course I did. But it doesn't look like Armand thought I was invited.
Marie: Of course you are. Don't mind him. (She shoots Armand an 'are you serious?' look.) It wouldn't be a party without you. How's Andy doing?
Dawson: He's training to be a lifeguard or something. I don't know, I don't see him much lately.
Marie asks quietly: Has he said anything about me lately?
Dawson: Not while I'm around at least, no.
Marie looks at the ground: Oh.

Armand just stands there scratching his head, not knowing how to join in the conversation and clearly wishing Marie would stop talking to Dawson.

The party ends about an hour afterwards, and Marie tells Armand goodbye for the night. Dawson offers to drive Marie home once Armand has gone back inside his house.


Marie: Thanks for the ride home, Dawson.
Dawson: No problem at all, Marie, and this gives me a chance to talk to you about something.
Marie: What?


Dawson: I wish you'd stop asking me about Andy.
Marie's face falls: Oh, sorry. I didn't realize I had been asking you that much.
Dawson: Don't worry, don't worry! It's not been obvious, really. Only a few times. But, I don't want you to be hung up over him. He's not worth it. Trust me, I know.
Marie: How can you say that about your own brother?
Dawson: Because I know him. Duh.

They both stand there quietly for a minute as an awkward silence ensues. Finally, Dawson breaks the silence.

Dawson: So, what is Armand's deal about me?
Marie: I have no idea. I guess he just doesn't like you.
Dawson: What'd I ever do to HIM?
Marie chuckles: I wish I knew. Then maybe I could get him to get over it.
Dawson: This week every time we passed each other in the hallway he'd glare at me.
Marie's eyebrows come together in a look on confused thought: Really? After the party?
Dawson: That's the only thing I can think of. (He chuckles.) Maybe he didn't like me dancing with you.
Marie rolls her eyes: Oh good grief!
Dawson laughs harder for a little bit then gets a more serious look on his face: I hope he's not one of those possessive types.
Marie shrugs: So what if he is?


Dawson gets hold of Marie's shoulder: Have you learned nothing from your mother?
Marie glares at him: What do you mean?
Dawson: The way John used to treat her.
Marie: Well, it turns out he had good reason to be that way, didn't he?
Dawson: Who's to say he didn't push her to him?
Marie: That's a load of bull and you know it. And I am NOT my mother.
Dawson: I didn't say you were, but you sure are looking for a guy like your father.
Marie: And that's a BAD thing?

She shakes his hands off her.


Dawson: Marie, please don't be mad. I'm just worried is all. Before tonight I wasn't, but after the way I saw Armand acting tonight I am.
Marie: That's sweet of you, Dawson, but you don't need to worry. Honest. (She pauses.) You know, your girlfriend Cristina is a lucky girl.
Dawson smiles: Thanks. She's sweet. Still, please don't hesitate to come to me if you need anything. You and I go way back. I remember when your mom first sent you to that school, I was so bummed. I'm still so glad you're back. It's like this town feels more alive now.


Dawson pulls her into a hug: You're my best friend. Just tell Armand he has to get over it.
Marie just laughs and then sighs.



----------------------------------

(grrr inconsistencies, I know)

No comments:

Post a Comment